!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2022 7:39 pm  #1

physique generator

Well, I couldn't help myself.

I was doing some refactoring so I can slowly work towards being able to
output to the new 3e character sheets.

Part of that work was physique stuff. I had it working in a local program but I reached a point where I thought I could just make a little web app.

So...have at it:

https://www.gizmomathboy.com/physique/

What? Me worry?

5/17/2022 5:36 am  #2

Re: physique generator

Seems to work Giz, great, but...???

Generated Physique Race : Hyperborean
Height : 6'11"
Weight : 250
Hair : Golden, Rich
Eyes : Violet, Light
Complexion : milky-white

Thing is it it not a big deal:

Hyperboreans: Use height results of 17 or 18 (roll 1d6: 1–2 = 17; 3–6 = 18). Weight is always less than average.

What does average mean, you got this one at 250 lb. Does average mean like 170 lb. or something?

5/17/2022 6:57 am  #3

Well, that certainly is interesting.

I'll look at the code and see what I messed up.

Thanks for using and *more importantly* letting me know when something doesn't seem correct.

What? Me worry?

5/17/2022 3:09 pm  #4

Yeah, I might have pushed this out too soon :-)

I realized that one of the hardest parts of the physique stuff is height/weight

Also, why I have been putting off doing it

What? Me worry?

5/17/2022 4:23 pm  #5

Or, I just read my code and data files (and game text) close enough.

I basically had the stuff to do this. I just needed to add some data for only the oon and hyperboreans. The only ones (I think) that have weight modifiers.

The app should now create hyperboreans and oon within the normal weight ranges per the 3e rule book.

If not, please let me know along with any other things I might have messed up.

What? Me worry?

5/18/2022 10:11 am  #6

This is awesome.  I was literally working on stocking up on some pre-generated mercs to have on hand and this will help lighten the load.

5/18/2022 10:25 am  #7

Larrydanger wrote:

This is awesome.  I was literally working on stocking up on some pre-generated mercs to have on hand and this will help lighten the load.

I bet.

Now I need to hook this in to the pc_gen app and the npc_party app.

I still have no clue about when I will have things in a state to have the 3e pdf character sheet as an output choice.

I'll just keep plugging away at it.

What? Me worry?

5/18/2022 2:12 pm  #8

Thanks for doing this, Giz! Great resource.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/18/2022 6:13 pm  #9

Ghul, I do what I can.

I mean, I write stuff that I use. Then I figure out how to rejigger it so other people can use it.

What? Me worry?

5/18/2022 9:33 pm  #10

Freakin' love this! Right on time!  Thanks again gizmo, I'm putting this to use!

5/19/2022 4:02 am  #11

gizmomathboy wrote:

Well, that certainly is interesting.

I'll look at the code and see what I messed up.

Thanks for using and *more importantly* letting me know when something doesn't seem correct.

N.P. Giz, will have a look later, think I fell asleep on this, busy few weeks!

5/19/2022 4:32 am  #12

Doing a few tests Giz, the Oon look fine, but Still Pondering the Hyperborean weight, it get quite high. Ghul basically stating they: 'Less than average?

If average is 9-12; 170 lb. for males. 135 lb. for females, then they still too high, still getting 200+ for males.

Less than average is 7-8? which is 160 lb. for males. 125 lb. for females.

I would prefer if Ghul stated whether I turning then into too thin a concept, but uncertain to be honest and just guessing and my brain hurts!

Not easy to see if any fault to the other cultures Giz, they rolling fine, just did two dozen rolls and the only thing I still questioning is the Hyperboreans weight?

But, fantastic man, another great invention by Giz the Wiz!!

5/19/2022 9:42 am  #13

The process I am using is taking the height roll (either 17 or 18 for a Hyperborean), then getting the average weight for that height.

Roll, male average, female average
17: 230 lbs, 180 lbs
18:  250 lbs, 195 lbs

I then use the weight variability modifier roll : (−5% to −20%; roll 1d4×5) to make them less than average.

So the heaviest a Hyperborean male could be is .95 * 250 = 237.5 lbs, and the lightest a male could be is 230 * .8 = 184 lbs.

The some extremes are : 7'2" 200 lbs male and a 6'2" 144 lbs female.

At least this is my interpretation of the height/weight rules on page 121 of the 3e Players Manual.

Last edited by gizmomathboy (5/19/2022 9:48 am)

What? Me worry?

5/20/2022 5:42 am  #14

Right, I get what you stating Giz!

Still, I not sure, but if so, perfect.

Good job, though as usual. 

5/20/2022 6:51 am  #15

We can always ask Ghul for an interpretation :-)

I mean, it wouldn't be difficult at all to change the change the code to use a specific average weight for Hyperboreans and then apply some kind of weight modifier.

What? Me worry?

5/20/2022 1:33 pm  #16

gizmomathboy wrote:

The process I am using is taking the height roll (either 17 or 18 for a Hyperborean), then getting the average weight for that height.

Roll, male average, female average
17: 230 lbs, 180 lbs
18: 250 lbs, 195 lbs

I then use the weight variability modifier roll : (−5% to −20%; roll 1d4×5) to make them less than average.

So the heaviest a Hyperborean male could be is .95 * 250 = 237.5 lbs, and the lightest a male could be is 230 * .8 = 184 lbs.

The some extremes are : 7'2" 200 lbs male and a 6'2" 144 lbs female.

At least this is my interpretation of the height/weight rules on page 121 of the 3e Players Manual.

I believe this is correct. Less than average weight for whatever their height happens to be.

I looked at a list of heights and weights for human basketball players. The players who were 6'11" or 7' tended to be around 250 to 270. Since basketball players are usually not hulking brutes themselves, I would argue that 7' males that only weigh 238 are fairly thin, to say nothing of 7'2" males who only weigh 200 lbs. At a certain height, your skeleton alone is going to account for a lot of weight.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/21/2022 4:26 am  #17

Nice little generator

Na Chuba! Na Gita! Negatorie Na! Na! Natoota! 

5/22/2022 4:23 am  #18

gizmomathboy wrote:

We can always ask Ghul for an interpretation :-)

I mean, it wouldn't be difficult at all to change the change the code to use a specific average weight for Hyperboreans and then apply some kind of weight modifier.

Good plan, but where is he?

Still BA makes sense, so I defer to that....

Then it perfect Giz, just me rocking the boat!

5/22/2022 10:14 am  #19

Caveman, you weren't rocking the boat. You did find a bug in the code.

Hyperboreans kinda feel like Melniboneans to me. Being tall and thin is their schtick.

How thin is something worth considering.

What? Me worry?

5/23/2022 3:09 am  #20

True enough man, I agree with your description, I must admit I not get weight precisely right in real life, so I think BA is right, these basketball player are very lean and if that is common weight amongst there lot then it good to know!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.