!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2022 6:16 pm  #1

Sorcerous Armour question

When I read this spell, it sounds like you get a little bit of AC leather equivilent if I am remembering correctly. The part I am having trouble with is the part where it is dispelled after taking so many points of damage. does this effectivly work like temp hit points worked or are these working concurrent with your pool?

sorry if i am just being a hammer with this question.

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

5/13/2022 6:55 am  #2

Re: Sorcerous Armour question

The description says "recipient", so I think the narrowest interpretation is that you get the better AC until X number of HP are sustained by the person. Then it goes away.

A person in robes needs every edge they can muster for survival.

Interesting trade off between this spell and Shield. Indefinite slightly better AC or temporarily decent AC.

What? Me worry?

5/13/2022 11:37 am  #3

Gizmo has it spot-on.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/13/2022 2:56 pm  #4

Ghul wrote:

Gizmo has it spot-on.

\o/

What? Me worry?

5/13/2022 4:01 pm  #5

ok, let me do it with an example.  joe the adventurer has 4 hp and casts sorcerous armour. so does this effectivly give him 15 hit points. say he has ac 10 until he takes 11 points of damage and the last 4 hp would be at the leather ac. so he gets hit for 5 hp leaving him with either 6 hp left in his magic armour, or did he just die? hopefully that makes my question more clear. 

5/13/2022 10:01 pm  #6

The spell doesn't grant any extra hit points. It just gives a better AC. So in your example I assume Joe is first level. He casts the spell and has an base AC of 7 instead of 9. If he suffers 11 hit points of damage, the spell is ended and he is at -7 (bleeding to death).

ETA: Rereading your example, if he got hit for 5 points of damage, the sorcerous armour would stll be active, but he would also be at -1 hit points (unconscious).

Last edited by Blackadder23 (5/13/2022 10:03 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/14/2022 1:10 pm  #7

thanks you got my question

5/16/2022 3:01 pm  #8

BA23 has it correct, yes. Thanks!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/11/2022 5:27 pm  #9

Ha, have been playing that wrong for years...ugh, haha

11/15/2022 7:34 pm  #10

no, it actually didn't even come up in a game. for whatever reason none of my casters ever picked it up. I just happen to read it and thought about it wrong and was like that seems over powered.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.