!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2022 1:56 pm  #1

hurled "melee" weapons damage adjustment

While working through some stuff I noticed that some hurled, missile weapons don't get any Strength (ST) adjusted damage.

I then looked at the melee weapons that are hurled. They don't have the symbol (double pointed, slanted arrow?) to indicate they would use have its damage adjusted by the character's ST damage bonus.

Oversight or do they not get a damage adjustment?

This is mostly because I'm also updating my pc_gen app and thus will matter there in terms of "official"-ness.

What? Me worry?

4/11/2022 3:15 pm  #2

Re: hurled "melee" weapons damage adjustment

That's because ALL melee weapons that can be hurled (light club, hand axe, dagger, etc.) use ST for adjusted damage. This rule is found in the Strength section (Table 1).

But when you go to Table 77 in 3E, you are looking specifically at weapons that are solely missile weapons. Because not all of these enjoy ST adjusted damage, we have a symbol for which ones do. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/11/2022 5:44 pm  #3

Ghul, thanks.

I just didn't look there :-)

I knew it made sense, just couldn't find the table to allay my concern.

What? Me worry?

4/12/2022 10:10 am  #4

Not a problem, my friend.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/12/2023 9:33 pm  #5

So I take it the rules for thrown melee weapons. Dex modifier to hit and str for damage?

1/12/2023 10:20 pm  #6

Vetus Miles wrote:

So I take it the rules for thrown melee weapons. Dex modifier to hit and str for damage?

That's correct.

ETA: Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (1/12/2023 10:21 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.