!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2022 4:44 pm  #1

What about certain types of dinosaurs being intelligent?

Recently I have been toying with the idea of certain albeit smaller versions of various dinosaurs being intelligent,(human intelligence lower/higher). I had a society of intelligent raptors with a semi bushido like culture in a recent game this winter. The party loved it.

Na Chuba! Na Gita! Negatorie Na! Na! Natoota! 

4/03/2022 3:33 am  #2

Re: What about certain types of dinosaurs being intelligent?

Part a new world I creating (truth is started this map 38 years ago), but as a S&S world the serpent-men ruled the world and mostly still rule 60% of it as their primitive slave rebelled and now control the cooling northern lands (land cooling in thousands of years, compared to millions. )

World of Kar Agath: | Flickr

So the diversity of dino-intellect is as such to far...

Serpent-men - As raptors they have legs and a tail to balance themselves, progressed, and hands to eventually work a type-writer better than me; which works with two fingers...

Snake-men - Well body of snake, arms and upper torso, humanoid. Theory, they never left the jungles and arms for pulling themselves though trees and snake coiling lower body to rap around tree trunks to secure self; whether for hunting or sleeping. There will be a medium and large-sized version.

I also using a more primitive group, which are basically Lizard-men (more related to serpent-men) who have remained savages while the serpent-men became so-called civilized.

I also will be doing the fateful experimentation of the serpent-men to men to make more endurable slaves, which create Hybrid serpent-men, much like Robert E. Howards serpent-men, human bodies and heads of serpents, etc.

Which also creates...

Naga - Head of a human, body of a serpent, large-sized.

Centnaga - top half human, lower half, long serpent tail, large-sized.

So, with different versions of these group, some evolving, some devolving, the hybrid slaves also seeking independence; and fighting their past masters and the primitive humans who now occupy the northern serpent-men cites of the eastern continent on the west coast.

Still working at maps and these idea are going to take years to develop, perhaps another 38 years.

4/03/2022 3:25 pm  #3

sounds cool!

4/04/2022 6:40 am  #4

4/04/2022 11:32 am  #5

Mine are dinosaurs that have through magic and tech, been made smaller. Still big. Bigger the medium in game terms,(some do class as medium in game terms). They have various tribes and social structures. Some are Bushido/samurai. Others little more then stone age. All in a prehistoric jungle setting of course.

Last edited by Chartauk (4/04/2022 11:40 am)

4/05/2022 5:49 am  #6

Very interesting, in theory is we had not been hit with meteorite, we should be lizards.

Going to populate my world, with winged apes and intelligent gorillas also...

4/05/2022 10:43 am  #7

More weird fantasy is always a good thing.

4/06/2022 7:23 am  #8

Maybe an Island of Dr. Morero kind of thing where some Madman has developed some ancient weird science that interfaces with the Dino brain, Like seeing Dinos running around with Metal caps with an antenna sticking out...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

4/07/2022 4:54 am  #9

Or something like Dinotopia's saurs: not very metal or weird, but still a potential source of inspiration from the art alone.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/07/2022 4:28 pm  #10

All ideas that can be dropped in for sure. Our own game is very much a mismash of various concepts and ideas. Sci-Fi+Fantasy. I do not know what makes that kind of setting so appealing but we have played in this setting for a few years now, not really touching much else. (Aside from some video games.) It just scratches all the geek needs I guess.  I mean when you have Mad Max style wasteland mutants and Sasquatch in wasteland cars, totting ray guns in a few games. Then a valley of bushido dinos in the next, with naked green skinned demon summoning witches in another few. Then mummy infested tombs were a couple of Martians need to be rescued from. (Edgar Rice Burroughs and H. G.Wells types.), with a shard of the Loknar,(Heavy Metal film), and moonstones that can open a gate to the Dreamlands,(H. P. Lovecraft) in the possible treasure. Yeah it's that wild. lol

Last edited by Chartauk (4/07/2022 4:30 pm)

4/08/2022 5:30 am  #11

That sounds rococo-weird indeed!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/08/2022 1:14 pm  #12

Yes it is, but it scratches all the geek itches. Our group is getting back to the table soon after a break. I am looking forward to the "red lined", weirdness and metal vibe to it.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.