!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2022 5:51 pm  #1

Gods of the Forbidden North

This looks like it might be of interest to fellow Hyperborea fans: not only is the subject of the adventure Hyperborea friendly, but I noticed some art by fan-favorite Ian Baggley. Definately backing this!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pulphummock/gods-of-the-forbidden-north

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

3/28/2022 7:29 am  #2

Re: Gods of the Forbidden North

Nice 1, just got by pledge in with 3 days to go.

Good to see the Baggley art again, it is inspirational...

3/28/2022 1:21 pm  #3

Caveman wrote:

3 days to go.

I almost missed it too! Makes me think that either there should have been more outreach to kindred gaming communities (like Hyperborea here). Then again my KS/Indigogo suggestions are so deluged with 5e that I miss material I actually want to support. 

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

3/28/2022 1:40 pm  #4

Ian does amazing work. Trying to see if he can do a few pieces for us again in the future. He's a teacher these days, so he doesn't have as much time as he used to.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/28/2022 3:22 pm  #5

Looks really cool! I hope it works out for them. The only thing that would give me pause when it comes to backing is this, under "Other tasks that still require our attention and your generous funding":Writing, Revision, & Editing.
It's been my observation that projects that don't have those tasks done before the campaign starts are the most likely to have monumental delays or fail outright. I hope this project in an exception. The art and maps look great.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (3/28/2022 3:23 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/28/2022 4:26 pm  #6

Blackadder23"Other tasks that still require our attention and your generous funding":[b wrote:

Writing, Revision, & Editing[/b].

I had some reservations too when I saw that but it looked like a risk worth taking. The samples of the writing and layout given look very promising and professional. This just rung with truthiness to me.

3/29/2022 6:20 am  #7

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Caveman wrote:

3 days to go.

I almost missed it too! Makes me think that either there should have been more outreach to kindred gaming communities (like Hyperborea here). Then again my KS/Indigogo suggestions are so deluged with 5e that I miss material I actually want to support. 

I agree, hopefully in future they will become more organised

@Ghul: That be great, love to see some more Baggley art for Hyperborea...

@BA: At most I been on about a 20+ projects on KS and Indigogo and each one whether still working at the Edit stage still do the work properly, but then again, it only 20 project out of many thousands?

3/29/2022 11:03 am  #8

It looks really amazing, but I am passing. I see a lot of art, a lot of concepts, but it is the guy's first project, and this is #1 on the reasons they are running the kickstarter:

· Writing, Revision, & Editing

That says to me that a lot of the actual content still needs to be written.  I have been spoiled by Ghul, and burned a couple of times, so unless I hear a project is mostly done with the writing, I don't back it.  If they pull it off, and it looks good, I'll pay full price for it when it becomes available on dtrpg.

3/29/2022 1:23 pm  #9

I'm definitely not trying to talk anyone out of backing this. I have never been burned on a Kickstarter personally, but I've read about numerous disasters. One of the most infamous is the Far West rpg, which was funded in August of 2011 with none of the writing done and an estimated delivery date of December 2011. It is still not delivered to this day.
Like francisca, I will probably pick this up when it hits retail. Also like him, I just don't feel comfortable backing something that isn't written yet. Good luck to those who do, and I hope it turns out great.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (3/29/2022 1:24 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/29/2022 2:40 pm  #10

Blackadder23 wrote:

I have never been burned on a Kickstarter personally, but I've read about numerous disasters.

Same. Horror stories about Marmoreal Tomb chased me off KS for years. 2e Hyperborea was actually the first crowdfunder I ever backed! Since then, I've only been let down on single 10$ pledge (knock on wood!). This month I had some extra throwing around money so I've been able to support a few more than normal. Put in my bid for the new Tome of Adventure Design this morning! 

3/29/2022 6:55 pm  #11

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Put in my bid for the new Tome of Adventure Design this morning! 

Is Matt giving it a rewrite?  Link please!

3/29/2022 8:21 pm  #12

francisca wrote:

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Put in my bid for the new Tome of Adventure Design this morning! 

Is Matt giving it a rewrite?  Link please!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/adventuredesigntome/tome-of-adventure-design

3/30/2022 6:01 am  #13

Not to mention the poorly-detailed printed version costs: since it's all POD it appears you're paying at-cost printing ($16 - $18, softcover; $20 - $23, hardcover) +$10 (softcover) or +$25 (hardcover) over PDF-only ($25) + shipping. It's misleading to also list "Ships to" as "Anywhere in the World", since you're paying for the shipping above the printing costs in any case. If I'm doing my math right PDF-only total cost is $25, softcover is ~$51 + shipping, hardcover is ~$70 + shipping. You're essentially paying an additional fee ($10 or $25) for the printed versions. I wish them well...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/30/2022 6:37 am  #14

Blackadder23 wrote:

I'm definitely not trying to talk anyone out of backing this. I have never been burned on a Kickstarter personally, but I've read about numerous disasters. One of the most infamous is the Far West rpg, which was funded in August of 2011 with none of the writing done and an estimated delivery date of December 2011. It is still not delivered to this day.
Like francisca, I will probably pick this up when it hits retail. Also like him, I just don't feel comfortable backing something that isn't written yet. Good luck to those who do, and I hope it turns out great.

Yeah, I never had a problem either, but KS is about funding. Paying artists and such stuff, so you can expect a bit of a delay. I noted a statement they make:   ''The writing and cartography for this project have been ongoing for nearly two years at this point'', so they obviously have done some work on the project and I hope it not need another 2 years for a mega-dungeon.

Still I believe their sincerity when they state: ''It should be said here and now, that even if this Kickstarter should fail, Pulp Hummock Press intends to move forward with this project’s scheduled release by the end of this year. This project is a labour of love, not by someone who seeks a mere profit, but from a fellow player who genuinely loves the game. This is as much an homage to those giants of industry that came before us as it is the personal artistic vision of a single person. It has been an honour to work on it.'', so again using my jedi powers I sense good things for this adventure.

@Rhialto: Yeah, prices where unusual, I just want the PDF, this being $25, but for soft-cover and PDF $35 + shipping, so a good deal for an extra $10 (but folks expect shipping, so I not hold that against them? and selfish as I am, PDFs are a lot easier to deal with ), but I just not need more books in my house, shelves are full and any reading I do now is from PDFs, so I think it going to be fine (at least for me, ha, ha, ha...)!

3/30/2022 8:05 am  #15

Caveman wrote:

@Rhialto: Yeah, prices where unusual, I just want the PDF, this being $25, but for soft-cover and PDF $35 + shipping, so a good deal for an extra $10 (but folks expect shipping, so I not hold that against them? and selfish as I am, PDFs are a lot easier to deal with ), but I just not need more books in my house, shelves are full and any reading I do now is from PDFs, so I think it going to be fine (at least for me, ha, ha, ha...)!

The thing is it's not $35 + shipping for the softcover: it's ~$51 + shipping, where you're paying an additional $10 *above and beyond the printing costs*...for what? Like you I don't doubt their gamer sincerity, but if I were to ask them what the extra $10 (softcover) or $25 (hardcover) above printing costs is for, what would their answer be? Given this is their first KS there will be lessons learned, and transparency in pricing would be at the top of my list for them. It looks fantastic, so I may bite on the PDF too (and print it myself, as needed), but the books are right out.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

3/30/2022 10:44 am  #16

rhialto wrote:

you're paying an additional $10 *above and beyond the printing costs*...for what? Like you I don't doubt their gamer sincerity, but if I were to ask them what the extra $10 (softcover) or $25 (hardcover) above printing costs is for, what would their answer be?

Actually some one did ask, and the author responded. It wasn't a very satisfying answer or it seemed as if he didn't understand the process when figuring out the pricing for the print tiers. I don't doubt that lesson was learned, though. Guy seems like a smart fellow.

3/30/2022 12:42 pm  #17

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

rhialto wrote:

you're paying an additional $10 *above and beyond the printing costs*...for what? Like you I don't doubt their gamer sincerity, but if I were to ask them what the extra $10 (softcover) or $25 (hardcover) above printing costs is for, what would their answer be?

Actually some one did ask, and the author responded. It wasn't a very satisfying answer or it seemed as if he didn't understand the process when figuring out the pricing for the print tiers. I don't doubt that lesson was learned, though. Guy seems like a smart fellow.

Ah, I see it now: it boils down to "speculative support", and in true Old School fashion..."roll the die, take your chances". Simultaneously funny and unfunny. Oh well, I still wish them the best, as their intentions seem good. I'll probably wait until the 11th hour (1:12 chance in Hyperborean parlance) to decide. Now that I think on it, a d12 roll is probably appropriate...

3/30/2022 1:34 pm  #18

Thank you!  I saw Matt this weekend at Gary Con, but didn't really get a chance to chat him up.  Good to see him giving this great accessorie a refresh.

rhialto wrote:

Like you I don't doubt their gamer sincerity, but if I were to ask them what the extra $10 (softcover) or $25 (hardcover) above printing costs is for, what would their answer be?

RAMPANT SPECULATION (we're on the interwwwebz...):

from the KS page wrote:

· Website Creation· Marketing Initiative· Gaming Convention Advertising

Last edited by francisca (3/30/2022 1:39 pm)

3/30/2022 2:14 pm  #19

francisca wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Like you I don't doubt their gamer sincerity, but if I were to ask them what the extra $10 (softcover) or $25 (hardcover) above printing costs is for, what would their answer be?

RAMPANT SPECULATION (we're on the interwwwebz...):

from the KS page wrote:

· Website Creation· Marketing Initiative· Gaming Convention Advertising

The author just posted a fulsome explanation for "why more $ upfront?", and I appreciate his openness even more now. My x:12 chances of supporting just shifted dramatically. 

3/31/2022 7:39 am  #20

rhialto wrote:

The author just posted a fulsome explanation for "why more $ upfront?", and I appreciate his openness even more now. My x:12 chances of supporting just shifted dramatically. 

lol, yeah it not easy to know how much we can trust a total stranger, but he seems sincere.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.