!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2022 1:35 am  #1

worship by fell paladins

Beyond Thaumagorga, which other gods are appropriate for the worship of a fell paladin?
I am tempted to allow a pictish fell paladin to venerate TLAKK-NAKKA because of the creatures association with witchcraft, death, & fate; however I feel that the use of poison would violate the paladin's honor code.

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

2/06/2022 6:30 am  #2

Re: worship by fell paladins

Personally I been allowing LN paladins for my idea of Hyperborea for a few years now, but not sure they went LE. So think you got good idea; for each evil god has it own essence and generates a different mentality for the paladin. Should create a good story plot for game.

2/07/2022 12:23 am  #3

Any of the Lawful gods could have evil worshipers, including fell paladins. I do think Thaumagorga (aka the designer imposter Thasaidon) fits the stereotype best though.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/07/2022 5:11 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

Thaumagorga (aka the designer imposter Thasaidon)

I would have thought Thaumagorga was the designer imposter for Thamagorgos. In the Dark Eidolon, he/it and Thasaidon appear at odds.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

2/08/2022 11:52 am  #5

I can't get anything past you guys. I will neither confirm nor deny! ;) 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/08/2022 3:22 pm  #6

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Thaumagorga (aka the designer imposter Thasaidon)

I would have thought Thaumagorga was the designer imposter for Thamagorgos. In the Dark Eidolon, he/it and Thasaidon appear at odds.

I believe this is a case of Jeff mixing things up a bit for copyright reasons. Another similar example is the Ashen Worm, which is clearly based on Rlim Shaikorth from "The Coming of the White Worm". Yet the Ashen Worm is named "Yikkorth", which appears to be a play on "Yikilth", the name of Rlim Shaikorth's citadel (rather than on the name "Rlim Shaikorth" itself). In this case, the name "Thaumagorga" is clearly inspired by "Thamagorgos", the unseen entity mentioned in "The Dark Eidolon". But the overall appearance and attributes of Thaumagorga (giant armored figure brandishing a weapon, king of hell, sits on an unpleasant throne somewhere) are more similar to Thasaidon (unless Thamagorgos looks a lot like Thasaidon - like I said, we never saw him). My impression is that Jeff feels that the Howard and Smith estates are more lawsuit happy, hence greater changes and mutations had to be made than in the case of material inspired by Lovecraft.

I don't expect Jeff to confirm or deny any of this for obvious reasons!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (2/08/2022 3:22 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/08/2022 6:51 pm  #7

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

7/15/2022 7:18 pm  #8

I think of the underlying power as eternal and spanning all realities, but its manifestation across time, space and possible worlds as varying. Hyborians may say Crom, Hyperboreans may say Krimmr, for example. As a sort of Bermuda Triangle of legends, myths and realities, Hyperborea has some variants that may be familiar to us and others that may not be.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.