!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2022 9:40 pm  #1

Shield of the Ram

I'm gearing up to pitch an adventure module once submissions become available again.
Here's another more polished bit of homebrew.

Last edited by Master Magician Rennalds (1/30/2022 9:45 pm)

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

2/14/2022 7:24 am  #2

Re: Shield of the Ram

For AS&SH?

"That not a charge from a ram, that a charge from a minotaur!" States my 1 hp ranger...

3/12/2022 2:14 pm  #3

The ranger certainly isn't wrong! It should perhaps be something more like 1d2+2 base damage to closer represent a small shield set at a charge; but it's hard to say, since I've never seen a ram's charge stat-ed for an Osric compatible system. 

The shield is an homage to "the ring of the ram" from AD&D 2e.

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

3/12/2022 2:29 pm  #4

A non-giant buck goat in 1e (found in Monster Manual II) does 1d3+1d2 points of damage with a charging butt, which seems like a fair equivalent to a non-giant ram to me. Maybe make the base damage 1d6 or 1d4+1? Just a thought.I think it's also fine if it does more damage than an actual animal. It is a magic item.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/12/2022 4:33 pm  #5

Thanks for the insight!

3/13/2022 6:50 am  #6

Master Magician Rennalds wrote:

The ranger certainly isn't wrong! It should perhaps be something more like 1d2+2 base damage to closer represent a small shield set at a charge; but it's hard to say, since I've never seen a ram's charge stat-ed for an Osric compatible system. 

The shield is an homage to "the ring of the ram" from AD&D 2e.

No see reply, well at least he not mad, ''thank Kthulhu!''

4/02/2022 4:50 pm  #7

Going to "lift" this item for my own game.

Na Chuba! Na Gita! Negatorie Na! Na! Natoota! 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.