!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/05/2021 7:50 pm  #1

MUVIANS moving in

I was really excited to see the Mu people included in the list of races for 3e. I can't help but imagine them like how they've been used in Marvel comics, most notably in the 40s as CLASSIC early sci-fi villains nailing the tropes (domed undersea city, lightning guns, blocky robot suits, Ming the Merciless-like leader, freaking viking-longboat looking submarines!!) 
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Mu_(Pacific_Ocean) 
Whatever Jeff has in store for them, I'm sure it will be cool as hell.

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (8/05/2021 7:51 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

9/26/2021 10:00 am  #2

Re: MUVIANS moving in

Cool idea!

10/03/2021 12:08 am  #3

I'm not 100% positive, but I think this CAS story was probably the inspiration for the Mu:

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/226/the-uncharted-isle

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/03/2021 9:43 am  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

I'm not 100% positive, but I think this CAS story was probably the inspiration for the Mu:

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/226/the-uncharted-isle

I think you may be correct. Thanks for sharing this!

10/12/2021 6:28 pm  #5

Yes, the CAS story was inspirational, but I wasn't attempting to emulate it. Much like Atlantis, the location of Mu has been imagined and reimagined many times. In my conception, as detailed in the Gazetteer, they were once coevals with Hyperborea, Atlantis, and Lemuria, but they regressed overtime and abandoned their technology, simplifying their lives and (inspired by a Vance story) boiling down their language to a limited number of words. Still, like the Atlanteans, the technological artefacts of their ancient past may be discovered in hidden places of the realm.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/13/2021 4:49 pm  #6

Ghul wrote:

Yes, the CAS story was inspirational, but I wasn't attempting to emulate it. Much like Atlantis, the location of Mu has been imagined and reimagined many times. In my conception, as detailed in the Gazetteer, they were once coevals with Hyperborea, Atlantis, and Lemuria, but they regressed overtime and abandoned their technology, simplifying their lives and (inspired by a Vance story) boiling down their language to a limited number of words. Still, like the Atlanteans, the technological artefacts of their ancient past may be discovered in hidden places of the realm.

Mu elders long for the days when the roots of Hyperborea shook and split, rising up at the commands of their forbears! Or so it is said...

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/13/2021 8:29 pm  #7

I'm not sure how I imagined to miss the entry for Mu Minor in the book . Well, they need not be mutually exclusive in my head-canon.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

10/14/2021 7:53 am  #8

mabon5127 wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Mu elders long for the days when the roots of Hyperborea shook and split, rising up at the commands of their forbears! Or so it is said...

I didn't realize Jack Burton was Muvian...or Egg Shen for that matter...

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.