!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2021 7:50 pm  #1

Gambling

Here’s a quick abstraction I threw together for my players, who are enjoying some down time in Port Zangerios whilst some PCs are training and/or researching spells:

Gambling: For each day spent engaging in games of chance, choose a buy-in amount of 1–250 gp, and roll a d20 on the table below. (Anyone possessing a luckstone* gains a +1 bonus to the roll.)

d20 Roll     Result
natural 1     lose 100% of buy-in
   < 9          lose 50% of buy-in
   9–12        break even
   > 12        win 50% of buy-in
natural 20   win 100% of buy-in

*Such as the PC purloiner, in our case

8/19/2021 5:20 am  #2

Re: Gambling

DMPrata wrote:

Gambling

This had me curious to revisit Gary's rules so I cracked open the old DMG and Appendix F was right there! 

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

8/19/2021 6:20 am  #3

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

DMPrata wrote:

Gambling

This had me curious to revisit Gary's rules so I cracked open the old DMG and Appendix F was right there! 

I love those Appendix F games of chance, and I’ve used them in play, but this time I wanted something simpler that could be resolved in a single die roll.

8/19/2021 10:53 am  #4

Oh, man...I forgot about appendix F...

What? Me worry?

8/19/2021 5:25 pm  #5

DMPrata wrote:

something simpler that could be resolved in a single die roll.

I quite like your rule for that reason, especially as it represents gambling over time (montage!) rather than close to real time. 

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

12/30/2021 11:51 am  #6

Not sure how I missed this post, but this is a great idea. I would definitely use this with my crew. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.