!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2021 7:38 pm  #1

Bealltainn ideas

So...it happens to be Bealltainn in one of my campaigns.

I'm racking my brain for ideas.

I'm wondering what would be interesting for a couple of purloiners, a huntsman, weird scientist, and a fighter. A death lord might be joining them.

What? Me worry?

8/10/2021 8:13 am  #2

Re: Bealltainn ideas

Bring back the Ancient Green man celebration (and Sacrifice)...

The green man was chosen from the virile men in the village. They would gain the ability and authorization to have sex with any and as many women in the village (Married, Single, Any, and they would be Willing, as it's an Honor to do so) for a week preceding the final day of the celebration. Then, in the last 24 hours, he is hunted. A May Pole is erected and all the women would chase the Green man in an attempt to capture him, If at the end of 24 hours he is not caught, he is free, but it will not be a good Year coming (bad crops, maybe worse). In the case of Hyperborea, the full celebration could happen every 13 years and represent 13 years of "Bad Seasons". If caught Tie him to the Maypole and do a dance with the "ribbons" (Actually ropes with Ribbons attached), that hang from the top of the pole, that begin to wrap their way down the pole. Once the dance is complete, the green man is immobilized and then they kill him... Thus letting his blood into the ground renewing the earth for the new season.

So in this case, One of the Male characters is told about the celebration, and one of them is chosen. But not told about his impending doom if caught. So once he's "getting Into it" have one or two of the rest of the party overhear what is to come, and then the intrigue and attempt to flee. When the Green Man attempts to leave the village he encounters something like a wall of force that prevents him from leaving, the others do not feel it, nor are they prevented from leaving. Thus the Green man cannot just run far away after the ritual has started, he must stay and be chased for the day at the end. He can attempt to hide (probably won't work) and the others "could" attempt to protect him, but would be overwhelmed by the villagers. And thus starts the real dilemma. Should the party allow the members sacrifice? should they defend him and hope to defeat over 100 villagers (Note, Killing any of the women pursuing him would cause the villagers to attack the party). 

Last edited by BlackKnight (8/10/2021 8:17 am)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

8/10/2021 8:19 am  #3

interesting idea, but I think that would have to be sort of at the neighborhood level since they are in Khromarium.

In one of the posts I found during a search had some werewolf thing going on.

I kinda like the idea of some lycanthrope thing that might only happen during festivals, triggered by the double full moon.

Plays into the hunter's skills but can be set up during one of the nights leading up to the double full moon when the purloiners are trying to earn some money for their offshoot guild.

Now I wonder if I can somehow tie in the cult from Brazen Bull. I'll have to check the timeline for that to see if he's close to reconstituting his followership since they were mostly killed by the party.

What? Me worry?

8/12/2021 8:41 pm  #4

So...to kick off the week I did a "thieves only" mini-session prior to the main session.

It is at a "public" temple Tull uses and is a "legit" temple of Rel. However, tonight's services for the beginning of Bealltain was "family" only.

There will be a small fire, beer, and a steeple chase around the temple (feats of speed).

Before that is a sermon from the priestess:

People of Rel

We start the week of Belltain with fire, ale, and feats of speed.

We celebrate living a life risk it all for gain and gold.

We remember Rel's theft of such audacity that Xathoqqua granted him eternal life.

We have a glorious purpose.

To take that which we can grasp.

Tonight we drink and...(at this moment a scuffle starts at the back of the room)

Last edited by gizmomathboy (8/12/2021 8:42 pm)

What? Me worry?

8/13/2021 11:27 pm  #5

One thing that strikes me is that the gazetteer states that celebrants dye their hair metallic colors and paint their faces. That might make it easier for transmundane to move around during Bealltain celebrations incognito.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/14/2021 7:56 am  #6

Also for any gods to walk among them, too....

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.