!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2021 5:17 am  #1

Multiple Opponents

Hello all,
Another combat question, we play mostly 'theater of the mind' with friends online.
Our first adventure ended with our party disturbing gloom-eater zombies at a Mausoleum so our next adventure will start with multiple zombies attacking the group.

I just wanted to ensure I handle this combat correctly as referee, I will ask them to indicate on the map, which I put up as a share screen, where their characters are and to pick targets.

How many opponents can attack a PC?
I assumed one per exposed side (of the square they occupy on the map)? Apologies if a very straight forward question and thanks again for your help!
Regards
Micah

8/02/2021 6:54 am  #2

Re: Multiple Opponents

Up to 8. Three from the front, three from the rear, 1 from each flank.

On a hex map, only 6!

Such are the vagaries of geometry.

Hopefully the group is making some tactical decisions to minimize such things.

What? Me worry?

8/02/2021 2:49 pm  #3

Thanks for the reply gizmomathboy thats a big help.
One character down after biting off more than they can chew...haha welcome to Hyperborea.

8/03/2021 12:19 pm  #4

You're welcome.

I don't recall if the Hyperborea text goes into that or not.

It's really 1e DMG memories/knowledge. Part of the "assumed knowledge" back in the day that Gygax had note. Not everyone was a wargamer, Gary. ;-)

What? Me worry?

8/03/2021 4:00 pm  #5

gizmomathboy wrote:

Up to 8. Three from the front, three from the rear, 1 from each flank.

On a hex map, only 6!

You are forgetting weapon reach, you could have spears and polearms behind others that could still attack at a second rank.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

8/03/2021 7:11 pm  #6

However many the referee says can attack in a given situation.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/04/2021 3:39 am  #7

Thank you all, that helps a lot!
My group really enjoys the hack and slash of combat so I want to get as comfortable as possible with the rules so that they have as many options available to them as possible without it just becoming a back and forth dice rolling exercise. (Although that is a factor.)
The phases and combat options definitely add a role playing element to the combat to which I would like to encourage in my group.
Thanks again for the answers everyone.

8/04/2021 7:29 am  #8

Yeah, although by the time 8 opponents can get to a PC I might just move to the unarmed combat stuff and just knocked them down and tie them up :-)

Never mind if the monsters are organized enough to have weapons with reach to really muck things up.

What? Me worry?

8/04/2021 8:22 am  #9

Thanks for the tip gizmomathboy 
Would you use that as a general 'house rule' with regards to a big enough group of opponents?
I have a situation in Xambaala where the group I referee have been involved in the assassination of a cleric from the Temple of Helios and I was going to have them arrested and tried and possibly thrown into the arena in Xambaala for some gladiatorial action! 
I was wondering how to 'arrest' them as the party tank, a Kimmerian Beserker usually tries to fight everything!

8/04/2021 8:54 am  #10

I would examine the rules on overbearing on page 248 of the big 2e book. Once you have a lot of guys dragging you down, it takes superhuman effort to resist.
Edit: And once restrained (prone) by a couple of guys, another guy can disarm your berserker (page 255). 
Then it's off to the pokey!

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (8/04/2021 8:57 am)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

8/04/2021 12:28 pm  #11

Thank you Jimm.Iblis I will do.
Actually just managed to get a copy of the 
big 2e book so will have a look.
We had the Players Handbook as they were available here in the UK through Leisure Games. We are very new to Hyperborea (only 2 sessions into Anthropophagi Of Xambaala).

8/04/2021 1:10 pm  #12

Overbearing is a great tactic when you have a bunch of mooks taking on a party, even high level.

As Jimm points out, a big enough group  can do wonders against them.

I really do like the unarmed combat rules for Hyperborea. Mostly straightforward compared to what 1e tried (in various forms).

I generally try to ease various tactics into play so players will get a taste for how deadly they are.

Like have a small group of mooks try to overbear one party member just so they can see how horrible it can be. Then they will be on notice about it later.

Now, I don't do this for more experienced folks I know. They should already be sneaky bastards and on the look out for sneaky bastardry.

What? Me worry?

8/05/2021 7:26 pm  #13

Most animals will try to overbear as well. Especially packs of canines.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

8/06/2021 12:02 am  #14

MicahJA wrote:

Thank you Jimm.Iblis I will do.
Actually just managed to get a copy of the 
big 2e book so will have a look.
We had the Players Handbook

Just to clarify, the overbearing and disarm rules are in the ASSH-PHB as well, even on the same page numbers!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.