!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2021 11:52 pm  #1

Casting in melee?

I went and got myself confused. 

I'm rolling up a Warlock and was digging into how it would work mechanically.
I found out that they are not inhibited by armor for casting in light and medium armor (the only armor Warlock allows) *Armored Sorcerers p140*

Then I read that to cast a spell, shields should be shouldered, weapons sheathed or dropped. You are also considered 'hindered' -2 AC. *Spell Casting p139*

How would say, a Warlock, with a sword (no shield) and an instantaneous touch attack like Shocking Grasp work? I can't seem to find any exceptions for "fighter/mage" hybrids casting in melee, except for clerics. Would the sword need to first be dropped or sheathed, and then a touch attack made? Would you rule that for such a spell, one hand is sufficient? That round's phases for the touch attack would be spent as Cast/Hold, or Hold/Cast, correct?

Let me know what you think!

7/31/2021 12:08 am  #2

Re: Casting in melee?

I would not allow a warlock (or any class or subclass that uses magician type spells) to cast with weapons or shield in hand. All must be sheathed or slung on the back, dropped, etc. Only clerics and druids (and those using their spells) can cast with weapon in hand, as mentioned in the rules. Spell casting in melee is supposed to be a fraught affair.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/31/2021 1:16 am  #3

It was my imagination that betrayed me here. When I first read Warlock, that they could be Cyro/Pyro/Necro the first thing I imagined was a nasty scimitar and a STANKY hand (touch attacks). :D 

How do you treat sheathing/unsheathing in terms of the phases? Would you allow an unsheathing and a attack similar to the 1/2 move and attack? Or a phase 1 sheathing and a phase 2 cast?

Last edited by Sasquatch (7/31/2021 2:11 am)

7/31/2021 1:11 pm  #4

If you're running a game you can of course allow warlocks to cast while armed if you want.

I don't really use two separate phases (and neither will the new edition, apparently), but I personally would allow stowing weapons and casting spells in the same round if the caster didn't also try to move.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/31/2021 7:36 pm  #5

Blackadder23 wrote:

I personally would allow stowing weapons and casting spells in the same round if the caster didn't also try to move.

Exactly how I'd do it.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/01/2021 6:30 pm  #6

Chainsaw wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

I personally would allow stowing weapons and casting spells in the same round if the caster didn't also try to move.

Exactly how I'd do it.

I'll Second/Third that...
Casting requires the caster's hands, not hand. Having something in hand would cause them to be hindered.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.