!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2021 8:54 am  #1

Sleeping in Armour

Is there a game mechanic related to sleeping in heavy armour?

1) There are time rules for donning armour.

2) Drawbacks that I see in the rules for wearing heavy armour (for a fighter) are the reduction to overland travel speeds and (awesomely high) increased drowning risk.

Any specific rule I missed related to resting and/or sleeping in heavy armour?

I don't mind my player sleeping in his armour, but I feel like there should be at least a minor drawback as I don't see how that would be comfortable when adventuring overland a few days in a row.

7/13/2021 9:41 am  #2

Re: Sleeping in Armour

I don't recall there being any rules for either. A search of the text didn't bring up anything that I noticed but I was scanning quickly.

So...I guess you get to make up something :-)

What? Me worry?

7/13/2021 11:45 am  #3

I don't recall specifically stated rules about sleeping in Armor. But having worn both Leather and plate armor can tell you, Well fitted armor is Comfortable, but sleeping in it would be problematic, It's sweaty and confining, Think of a 10lb weight on your chest while trying to breathe.

If you allow it as a GM, I'd make any "sleep" gained be counted as 1/2 time (8 hours sleep = 4).

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

7/13/2021 12:53 pm  #4

And be sure to add rust monsters to your nighttime wandering monsters 

7/13/2021 4:35 pm  #5

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will just up his chance to be surprised in any wilderness encounters the following day to 3 in 6. Basically just give him a heads up that he can sleep in his armour but not well and he won't be as alert.

I should also note that he is traveling alone (I am working on rounding up more players) so my player is thinking strategically. He is concerned about being ambushed at night.

I will remind him he can hire a merc to help watch his back. This might give him a tradeoff to consider.

I'm curious as to what he decides to do. 🙂

7/29/2021 6:03 pm  #6

I wouldn't go so far as to levy a fatigue penalty for at least a few days (unless a CON check passed) but recovering hp would certainly be a lot more difficult.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

12/09/2021 7:44 pm  #7

Since my pc's look to be sleeping in their armour now, here are my rough rules for tonight's session

subtract 1 hp from night healing rolls for each DR

If nightly healing rolls is less than 1 then the rest
isn't restful enough to recover spells.

For each night past the third make a Test of CN. If failed
then no spells are recovered and you are fatigued.

If Medium armour is worn that the test of CN is
done after the 2nd night

If Heavy armour is worn the test is after the 1st night

Fatigued meaning all rolls are at a -1 penalty. AC
is also reduced by 1.

I'll probably tweak as things go along

What? Me worry?

12/09/2021 7:47 pm  #8

Seems like a good QAD ruling. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.