!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2021 6:39 pm  #1

Pale Green IOUN Stone

Borne of actual campaign play, I propose a slight modification to the pale green IOUN stone. I think the +1 level benefit should improve hp, SV, FA, CA, TA, progressive thief abilities, spells per day, and so forth, but should not grant the possessor new class abilities or access to higher spell levels. I’m finding too many corner cases, like, “When my 3rd-level monk uses the stone, can he speak with animals? Can my 3rd-level fighter choose a new weapon mastery? Can my 4th-level pyromancer learn, memorize, and cast fireball?” I think it’s far easier to manage by simply saying, “You’re better at everything you already do, but you can’t do anything with the stone that you couldn’t do without it.”

Last edited by DMPrata (7/18/2021 9:02 am)

7/18/2021 7:51 am  #2

Re: Pale Green IOUN Stone

Ahh, yes, it would not hurt to have language reinforcing that this particular IOUN stone does not grant your character a free level; rather, it allows the character to perform all known abilities as though one level higher. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.