!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2021 1:29 am  #1

One shot con game recommendations ?

Hi all,

im thinking of running a one shot game at a local con in the UK later this year, especially as interest seems to have been sparked given the 3e Kickstarter. I’m guessing it would be mostly beginning players.  Which of the published modules would people recommend - something that would fit well into a 3 hour slot.? A bit of research suggests maybe the Brazen Bull but I’d welcome any other suggestions. 

7/08/2021 11:14 am  #2

Re: One shot con game recommendations ?

Charnel crypt of the sightless serpent will work!

7/08/2021 12:54 pm  #3

I've successfully run Rats in the Walls as a con game. It's a great, low level scenario that is a great intro to both the mechanics and setting. Time can be an issue because if the party goes to the basement too quickly and finds the trapdoor it can all be over in less than three hours. So I threw in another encounter that filled up the time slot nicely.

7/08/2021 7:51 pm  #4

goat major wrote:

Hi all,

im thinking of running a one shot game at a local con in the UK later this year, especially as interest seems to have been sparked given the 3e Kickstarter. I’m guessing it would be mostly beginning players.  Which of the published modules would people recommend - something that would fit well into a 3 hour slot.? A bit of research suggests maybe the Brazen Bull but I’d welcome any other suggestions. 

Welcome aboard, goat major. I think Charnel Crypt, Rats and Brazen Bull would all be great. I'm partial to Brazen Bull because I wrote it, but I have run Charnel Crypt and played Rats. All good choices. If you go with BB, let me know. Happy to help.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/09/2021 9:06 am  #5

Thanks all. I’ve just got charnel crypt in the post and I’ll get the PDF for the other 2 (no hard copies left in the UK) and will have a peruse 

7/09/2021 2:25 pm  #6

Charnel Crypt would be great for a one shot.  I'd also recommend Ghost Ship.  I ran it at Gary Con a couple years ago, starting the party out in the desert just arriving at the site of the dungeon.  The players were all brand new to Hyperborea and it went over very well.

7/09/2021 4:36 pm  #7

under_score wrote:

Charnel Crypt would be great for a one shot.  I'd also recommend Ghost Ship.  I ran it at Gary Con a couple years ago, starting the party out in the desert just arriving at the site of the dungeon.  The players were all brand new to Hyperborea and it went over very well.

Jeff ran Ghost Ship for some of us at Gary Con back in 2013-2014 or so, had an awesome time. It's a great one!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.