!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2021 9:08 am  #41

Re: HYPERBPREA 3E Kickstarter Campaign Launching Thursday, July 1!

Ghul wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

So this has already beaten the 2e campaign by twenty grand. Excellent!

We're blowing by stretch goals we don't even have!!!!

I know, it was unexpected, but the reality remains that I need to temper enthusiasm with reality. If there was some type of stretch goal imagined for every $5k beyond funding, it would likely result in the project getting bogged down with all the added responsibilities. So, the philosophy must remain -- a few cool bonuses, but nothing that will cause delays. It always seems to me that the sexier the stretch goals are, the more likely a project will have problems. I've actually looked at projects that drew my interest and then not pledged after reading the laundry list of (in some cases) nutty stretch goals. I've made that mistake before, as a consumer. For example, many years ago I backed the Marmoreal Tomb. That project is now five years late and there's almost no chance that they will ever fulfill all those overly ambitious stretch goals. I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here.

Yes, the choir hates stretch goals too.
It was a joke meaning:  "Stretch goals? We don't need no stinkin' stretch goals!"

7/03/2021 9:18 am  #42

Iron Ranger wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

We're blowing by stretch goals we don't even have!!!!

I know, it was unexpected, but the reality remains that I need to temper enthusiasm with reality. If there was some type of stretch goal imagined for every $5k beyond funding, it would likely result in the project getting bogged down with all the added responsibilities. So, the philosophy must remain -- a few cool bonuses, but nothing that will cause delays. It always seems to me that the sexier the stretch goals are, the more likely a project will have problems. I've actually looked at projects that drew my interest and then not pledged after reading the laundry list of (in some cases) nutty stretch goals. I've made that mistake before, as a consumer. For example, many years ago I backed the Marmoreal Tomb. That project is now five years late and there's almost no chance that they will ever fulfill all those overly ambitious stretch goals. I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here.

Yes, the choir hates stretch goals too.
It was a joke meaning:  "Stretch goals? We don't need no stinkin' stretch goals!"

Oh, good to know. I feel much the same. A few cool things, sure, but let the content itself stand on its ow two feet, so to speak. Cheers!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/03/2021 9:40 am  #43

A few perks, nothing elaborate that derails anything.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/03/2021 9:44 am  #44

Jeff, I'm going to echo everyone else by saying, "Definitely stick to your original plan with the stretch goals." Overambitious stretch goals are where 90% of troubled projects start to circle the drain.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (7/03/2021 9:46 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/03/2021 9:49 am  #45

Honestly, the only stretch goal beyond what is there is more ribbons in the books :-)

Even then, I think 2 are fine.

Maybe more canvas maps or something, but I got mine so.

But yes, I think you have settled onto a ks strategy that is very effective. You deliver the goods.

Less is more. I would rather have the product in hand around expected delivery date than a potential buffet of things that show up late.

And honestly, just handling what has been backed so far is gonna be bigger than anything you've done before IIRC.

I can't say enough about how you are the gold standard for any KS project I've backed.

What? Me worry?

7/03/2021 11:22 am  #46

I think the estimated ship date of this December(!!!) is more than enough to ask.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/03/2021 10:00 pm  #47

I keep checking every five minutes to see if it broke 200K yet....

7/04/2021 3:07 am  #48

Ghul wrote:

Caveman wrote:

I'll tell you when we get to £100K.

Ha! I like your enthusiasm!

lol, well for me its £78,464, but that just great!

7/04/2021 8:05 am  #49

I have stickers for a next stretch goal, which may be fun to do. I am looking at doing the "metal" logo.

A second ribbon is super expensive, and my printer is on vacation, so I'm waiting to hear back if the per unit cost goes down if we 1) order more books, and 2) add the second ribbon to each book. That will help determine where the stretch goes. I would like to have two ribbons, and it's on my short list, but there is another determining factor here: Sure, the KS has done awesome and we can just order them, but going forward, if the per unit cost for two ribbons per book is a substantial increase, it could impact the retail price of the books, so I'm carefully weighing these things, thinking beyond the campaign itself.

7/04/2021 9:18 am  #50

Ghul, you know we will always joke about asking for a second ribbon every time you do a new hard back :-)

I think everyone trusts your instincts and decisions.

Slow and steady isn't a bad thing for quality creations like these books. Investing in good paper and a good process means these things will last a very long time.

What? Me worry?

7/05/2021 5:43 am  #51

1000+ pledges, pretty cool. 

7/05/2021 11:12 am  #52

Chainsaw wrote:

1000+ pledges, pretty cool. 

What a wonderful surprise! It's very encouraging to know that we are not a dying breed of gamers. 

7/08/2021 12:51 pm  #53

Definitely not a dying breed! I'm fairly new to rpgs in general, and completely new to Hyperborea. Looking forward to playing the game!

7/08/2021 8:15 pm  #54

Aen-Sedhe wrote:

Definitely not a dying breed! I'm fairly new to rpgs in general, and completely new to Hyperborea. Looking forward to playing the game!

Welcome to the forums!

7/09/2021 1:20 pm  #55

I looked at the past KS done by Ghul (just the rule books):

1e - 189 backers, $13,216 pledged of $6,000 goal, (started December 2012)

2e - 897, $67,856 pledged of $15,000 goal, 2017 (started October 2016)

3e - 1,151 (currently), $127,125 pledged of $20,000 goal, (started July 2021)

That is some growth.

What? Me worry?

7/09/2021 4:54 pm  #56

Beautiful

7/10/2021 7:19 am  #57

Well-deserved, and hopefully bodes well for future NWA KS! I've spread the 3E KS news around my group.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

7/10/2021 11:48 am  #58

Thank you! It's great to see new folks getting into the game, and I truly appreciate how you guys have spread the word in your own circles.

7/10/2021 3:16 pm  #59

gizmomathboy wrote:

I looked at the past KS done by Ghul (just the rule books):
1e - 189 backers, $13,216 pledged of $6,000 goal, (started December 2012)
2e - 897, $67,856 pledged of $15,000 goal, 2017 (started October 2016)
3e - 1,151 (currently), $127,125 pledged of $20,000 goal, (started July 2021)

That is some growth.

Absolutely!!!

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

7/15/2021 11:33 pm  #60

Sitting at 135K, just about double the 2e pledges.
Let's get that 150K stretch goal!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.