!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2021 6:01 pm  #1

Arak

Been trying to figure out where to drop ARAK SON OF THUNDER in here. Any fans out there got any ideas?

6/25/2021 9:49 am  #2

Re: Arak

Big fan. About 8 or 9 years ago, I read the entire run, because when I was young, I had an incomplete collection. I also spent some time corresponding with Roy Thomas about the series. It was one of his favorite creations. So many great ideas within those pages. I do enjoy it.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/03/2021 9:14 am  #3

I remember Arak, I had a few issues back in the day. Doesn't look like DC did any compiled TPB's of the run. So guess I need to loot the back issue bins at the local comic shop.  Thanks for reminding me about the series! 

7/03/2021 9:55 pm  #4

Brutorz Bill wrote:

I remember Arak, I had a few issues back in the day. Doesn't look like DC did any compiled TPB's of the run. So guess I need to loot the back issue bins at the local comic shop.  Thanks for reminding me about the series! 

You wont be disappointed.

7/03/2021 9:58 pm  #5

ARAK got his start as a backup feature in THE WARLORD. As did ARION LORD OF ATLANTIS and THE BARREN EARTH.   All fantastic strips!!!   DC was on a roll!

7/06/2021 10:32 pm  #6

Big fan  myself.  When I was in high school I found the entire run at the local comic store for like .25 or .50 an issue - it was great an awesome mix of history and S&S.  It really felt like a labor of love by Roy and Dani Thomas.  

I actually was inspired by the first (I think) Arak comic for an early adventure in my Hyperborea campaign.  This was the one where the two bands of Vikings fought over the corpse of a whale.  It turned into a pretty great battle as my players fought Viking raiders and their thralls to gain needed sustenance in the midst of Nightfall and emerged victorious (unlike Arak they also found the still living Krakens' Daughter in the whales stomach).

I could see bringing in the man himself as he looks for a lost friend or enemy who disappeared on a western voyage and being sent to Hyperborea through his father's magic.  There finding the trail long cold but still traceable on Vikland.  The question would be long hair or mohawk Arak?  And has he gained his full shamanic powers?

7/07/2021 9:15 am  #7

lige wrote:

Big fan  myself.  When I was in high school I found the entire run at the local comic store for like .25 or .50 an issue - it was great an awesome mix of history and S&S.  It really felt like a labor of love by Roy and Dani Thomas.  

I actually was inspired by the first (I think) Arak comic for an early adventure in my Hyperborea campaign.  This was the one where the two bands of Vikings fought over the corpse of a whale.  It turned into a pretty great battle as my players fought Viking raiders and their thralls to gain needed sustenance in the midst of Nightfall and emerged victorious (unlike Arak they also found the still living Krakens' Daughter in the whales stomach).

I could see bringing in the man himself as he looks for a lost friend or enemy who disappeared on a western voyage and being sent to Hyperborea through his father's magic.  There finding the trail long cold but still traceable on Vikland.  The question would be long hair or mohawk Arak?  And has he gained his full shamanic powers?

Good questions! Tomahawk fighting Arak with long hair was great, but it was also fascinating to see how Roy and Dani evolved the character into a shaman/warrior. All the myths and legends explored made it one of my favorite comics. I love that adventure idea with the whale. It's wonderful, and perfectly Hyperborean. Cheers, lige! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.