!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2014 6:41 pm  #21

Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

I was about to argue with Jamie/Euthymios, but then I got confused again. Here's what he says:

Euthymios wrote:

There is no line under the MISSILE 2/1 heading that allows for Fire 2x and Move 1/2 while it should be possible every other round.  Essentially, there should be a line for Move 1/2 - Fire 1-2x, and one for Fire 1-2 - Move 1/2.  The only difference between Melee and Missile should be that if your actual Missile ROF is 2/1 it is reduced to 3/2 if you do a 1/2 Move during one of your phases while in Melee it stays 2/1.  So assuming you know that if you move 1/2 your rate of fire drops with a missile attack, then the little subheading (For 3/2, round 1 is 1/1 and round 2 is 2/1) should be enough to tell you which heading to look under. 

For example, I normally have a 2/1 ROF with my bow.  I decide I want to move 1/2 and fire.  Doing that makes my ROF 3/2.  I look at the chart and see that "For 3/2, round 1 is 1/1 and round 2 is 2/1".  So for round 1 I use the MISSILE 1/1 heading on the chart and Move 1/2 - Fire.  For round 2 I use the MISSILE 2/1 heading on the chart which *should* have the options to Move 1/2 - Fire 2x and Fire 2x - Move 1/2.  The only time I would be using the MISSILE 2/1 heading if I was moving 1/2 would be every other round starting on round 2.

I think what he's getting at is that if your base rate is 2/1 and you decide to move and fire (reducing your RoF to 3/2), in round 1 you follow the 1/1 section of the sheet (move half and fire 1 or fire 1 and move half). In round 2, your effective RoF should be 2/1. Jamie is saying that he thinks he should, in round 2, be able to take his 2 shots in either phase 1 or phase 2 and make a half move in the other phase, but the option to fire twice and then move is not on the sheet--as if the RoF reduction were cumulative.

Ghul, you said earlier in the thread that firing your full complement of shots (except at a 1/1 RoF) ends your round.

So I guess the confusion is that the book doesn't specify that for a shooter with a base 2/1, even with a RoF reduced to 3/2 because of movement, on round 2 (effective RoF 2/1 again), the two shots must be taken after your half movement, not before. Does that make sense?

So he's saying that either the Combat section in the book should be amended to make it clear that no matter what, firing your full complement of shots for any base RoF above 1/1 ends your actions or the sheet should have a line under MISSILE 2/1 for "(1) Fire 1-2 / (2) Move 1/2 IFF second round of moving and shooting" or something along those lines.

Or as he puts it, "Basically, if your ROF is 2/1 and you can never get more than one shot off and move in any round (as the chart implies) then your ROF has been reduced from 2/1 to 1/1 not 3/2 as it states in the text."

5/21/2014 7:25 am  #22

I think I should make it clear through text and combat examples that the following are possible:

Move half and fire at reduced ROF

-or-

Fire at reduced ROF and move half

2/1 ROF with movement (so, reduced to 3/2 ROF) can be as Jamie (I think!) is suggesting:

Round 1: Move half, fire once. Round 2: Move half, fire twice

-or-

Round 1: Fire once, move half. Round 2: Move half, fire twice

-or-

Round 1: Fire once, move half. Round 2: Fire twice, move half

-or-

Round 1: Move half, fire once. Round 2: Fire twice, move half

I think that covers all the bases for movment and missiles for a 2/1 shooter. Sorry for the confusion.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/21/2014 7:28 am  #23

No prob! Thanks, Ghul.

Of course, this is going to go right to his head. It's within spirit of the rules to impose a CHA penalty during recumbent fire, right?

7/16/2014 6:19 am  #24

Fantastic resource!

I think I'm going to hand out one for each player so they can always see their standard options; and they're such adventurers that I still won't have to worry about them stopping coming up with crazy ideas all the time.

7/23/2014 6:55 pm  #25

Ghul wrote:

I think I should make it clear through text and combat examples that the following are possible:

Move half and fire at reduced ROF

-or-

Fire at reduced ROF and move half

2/1 ROF with movement (so, reduced to 3/2 ROF) can be as Jamie (I think!) is suggesting:

Round 1: Move half, fire once. Round 2: Move half, fire twice

-or-

Round 1: Fire once, move half. Round 2: Move half, fire twice

-or-

Round 1: Fire once, move half. Round 2: Fire twice, move half

-or-

Round 1: Move half, fire once. Round 2: Fire twice, move half

I think that covers all the bases for movment and missiles for a 2/1 shooter. Sorry for the confusion.

7/23/2014 7:02 pm  #26

Ha! Classic.

1/19/2015 4:46 am  #27

Cheers for that sheet. I've just downloaded it. 

9/16/2015 12:47 pm  #28

On page 211 Magic and Movement it states that "movement is not allowed after unleashing the power of magic, with perhaps the exception of some innate special abilities, such as a druid's shapechange."

On the sheet it says you can make a 1/2 move after casting a spell in phase 2 or wait.

With the exception being more rare than normal spell casting should this sheet be altered to denote you can't move unless the exception is relevant?

9/22/2015 8:30 pm  #29

Good catch. That is correct. 

2/10/2016 11:05 am  #30

Wizard sheet - nice!  Thanks for putting this together.

12/13/2017 2:06 pm  #31

Somewhere beneath the 3E/PF dust of ancient battlefields in my brain, the oD&D combat round lay buried. That truly helped this hopeful AS&S ref unearth it. Thanks for posting!

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.