!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2021 12:30 am  #1

Carolingian Franks

My group is starting a new campaign soon and after reading the info about the upcoming third edition one player requested to play a Carolingian Frank paladin. This lead to the question of what religion would he be? I dont mind the character being Christian, but in being a paladin it seems that his monotheistic views would directly clash with the polytheism practiced everywhere in the setting. Which would lead to conflicts like almost everyone be treated with hostility as a heretic, or refusing healing magic from other deities. It could be mostly hand waved away or I can come up with some alternative explanation as to why they tolerate pagans, or even just say theyve adopted the hyperborean gods. How do you guys think it should be resolved?

Last edited by deathknight4044 (7/01/2021 12:30 am)

7/01/2021 9:10 am  #2

Re: Carolingian Franks

I think the answer would be that any particular Frank could be any religion, including a modern real world religion like Christianity, if you really want to get into that in the game (personally, I would rather not). I do not believe that actual medieval Christians were constantly and unremittingly hostile toward every member of every other religion that they encountered under any circumstances (or at least not when outnumbered and unable to convert "pagans" by the sword, which would be the case in Hyperborea), so I don't see why that would be required in the game. I don't feel comfortable revealing even minor details of the play test document that Jeff sent to some of us, but it's probably safe to say (given how fraught the issue would be) that the Carolingian Franks as a whole are not Christians in Hyperborea.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/01/2021 11:50 am  #3

CAROLINGIAN FRANK
A race of medium to large people with fair skin, and variable hair and eye colour. In days of yore, Carolingian Franks dwelled in the Cape Calencia region, but they were nearly decimated by the Green Death. Their race is descended from warriors who served Charlemagne of Old Earth. They were at war with the Moors, whom they engaged in the Pyrenees Mountains. When the opposing legions met in a fertile mountain valley farmed by peasants, a strange being known as Tantugou engulfed both armies in a churning mist and whisked them away to far-flung Hyperborea. Most Carolingians have returned to the faith of their pagan roots, replacing Christ with Apollo. Typical homelands are as follows:

• Cape Calencia: A small, forested horn with massive redwood trees. In small family groups, Carolingians build on the ancient ruins of Hyperborean settlements.
  • City-State of Khromarium (see “common” race)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/02/2021 12:13 am  #4

Ghul wrote:

CAROLINGIAN FRANK
A race of medium to large people with fair skin, and variable hair and eye colour. In days of yore, Carolingian Franks dwelled in the Cape Calencia region, but they were nearly decimated by the Green Death. Their race is descended from warriors who served Charlemagne of Old Earth. They were at war with the Moors, whom they engaged in the Pyrenees Mountains. When the opposing legions met in a fertile mountain valley farmed by peasants, a strange being known as Tantugou engulfed both armies in a churning mist and whisked them away to far-flung Hyperborea. Most Carolingians have returned to the faith of their pagan roots, replacing Christ with Apollo. Typical homelands are as follows:

• Cape Calencia: A small, forested horn with massive redwood trees. In small family groups, Carolingians build on the ancient ruins of Hyperborean settlements.
  • City-State of Khromarium (see “common” race)

Well that covers everything I was looking for. Thank you!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.