!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2021 9:53 am  #121

Re: What makes it a Third Edition?

Blackadder23 wrote:

Plus, my feeling is that the obelisks are what is maintaining Hyperborea as a livable environment, despite its current untenable state. If you really did destroy one...

I assumed the same thing.

6/22/2021 10:30 am  #122

Ghul wrote:

mavfire wrote:

Super excited, and being that I have some inside looks, I am of the mind that 3E will be the best edition. Ghul has promised to add GNOMES too... Cant wait!

I am hard at work on my portion of this thing and I am anxious to have you all see what we have cooked up for you this go around. 

I told you not to mention the gnomes. It was supposed to be a surprise! What's next, you'll tell them all about our new skills and feats chapters, with feat combinations that allow one to play a 1/3 gnome, 1/3 Amazon, 1/3 gelatinous cube paladin/illusionist prestige class robot/psionicist?  

Gnomes. I KNEW IT!

6/29/2021 8:26 pm  #123

Please tell me that Men of Leng, etc. are not becoming "persons of Leng" or some other politically correct term.  I'm in on the KS for the new edition of The One Ring and they dropped the alpha rules today and people are actually whining because "Men of Bree" is a culture, as opposed to calling them "Bree-folk," or some other supposedly more progressive & inclusive term. 

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

7/16/2021 8:03 pm  #124

I've been out of gaming sice march, then I look in to this forum and got this huge announcement! Thank you for your hard work, Ghul, and thanks to all other players and posters who carry the hyperborian torch.

7/16/2021 8:04 pm  #125

Spider of Leng wrote:

Please tell me that Men of Leng, etc. are not becoming "persons of Leng" or some other politically correct term.  I'm in on the KS for the new edition of The One Ring and they dropped the alpha rules today and people are actually whining because "Men of Bree" is a culture, as opposed to calling them "Bree-folk," or some other supposedly more progressive & inclusive term. 

The Evil cannot create just corrupts.

7/24/2021 12:28 pm  #126

Looking forward to the new edition and pledged on the kickstarter (all-in print)

Two questions:
Any changes to the deities and religion?  Maybe a Deity of Good?

Regarding the combat changes - will there be examples of combat in the books?  I've always found these to be helpful in illustrating the combat mechanics with more clarity.

Thanks.

7/25/2021 6:29 am  #127

With the inclusion of more Lemurian culture in the core game (and not mostly limited to the adventure module, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess), we've added the Lemurian deity Boetzu, which might fit what you seek:

BOETZU, “The Celestial Serpent”
Deity of Law associated with the sun, light, law, agriculture, society, protection, duty,
enlightenment, and the circle of life. Boetzu is said to manifest in the guise of a gargantuan,
serpentine dragon, or as a grizzled old sage.

Typical Clergy: clerics, monks, paladins, priests, shamans
Typical Followers: any (esp. Lemurians)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For combat, we were more easily able to spell out the things you can do within the framework of these broad categories: melee, missiles, magic, movement, and other actions.

While we don't have specific simulations spelled out in detail (i.e., Billy's cataphract makes a charge attack with a long spear. although his side lost initiative, and the lizard-man javelin wielder should go first, the referee is using the first strike rule, so Billy's cataphract gets to go first because of his weapon's larger weapon class), I do feel that the format and explanatory text makes each aspect of combat much more understandable than in previous editions. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/25/2021 8:41 am  #128

Ghul wrote:

With the inclusion of more Lemurian culture in the core game (and not mostly limited to the adventure module, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess), we've added the Lemurian deity Boetzu, which might fit what you seek:

BOETZU, “The Celestial Serpent”
Deity of Law associated with the sun, light, law, agriculture, society, protection, duty,
enlightenment, and the circle of life. Boetzu is said to manifest in the guise of a gargantuan,
serpentine dragon, or as a grizzled old sage.

Typical Clergy: clerics, monks, paladins, priests, shamans
Typical Followers: any (esp. Lemurians)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For combat, we were more easily able to spell out the things you can do within the framework of these broad categories: melee, missiles, magic, movement, and other actions.

While we don't have specific simulations spelled out in detail (i.e., Billy's cataphract makes a charge attack with a long spear. although his side lost initiative, and the lizard-man javelin wielder should go first, the referee is using the first strike rule, so Billy's cataphract gets to go first because of his weapon's larger weapon class), I do feel that the format and explanatory text makes each aspect of combat much more understandable than in previous editions. 

New deity sounds good; I know at least one player who will like him. 

As for combat, I don't recall ever reading the combat sections closely.  We just play it like we've always run D&D and have had zero issues with that.  Others outside my regular group that I've played with do the same thing.  I suppose if you're new to the game or older editions of D&D it might seem confusing.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

10/02/2022 9:43 am  #129

Well. I guess this is what I was looking for. I used google and couldn't find anything telling what the difference between 2E AS&SH and Hyperborea 3E were, and of course, checking out the official forum never came to my mind. LOL 

Thanks Ghul for reminding me ha ha. 

10/04/2022 10:36 am  #130

Benoist wrote:

Well. I guess this is what I was looking for. I used google and couldn't find anything telling what the difference between 2E AS&SH and Hyperborea 3E were, and of course, checking out the official forum never came to my mind. LOL 

Thanks Ghul for reminding me ha ha. 

My pleasure. Great to see you here! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.