!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2021 3:13 am  #1

Atlanteans

From what I can tell it seems that the details around Atlanteans are relatively scarce. I understand they are in a state of decline, but I'm unsure if they arrived at hyperborea already in decline or if they thrived for a time. I'm also unsure if they came to hyperborea at the same time as the other races (after the ashen worms ice age ended) or if it happened earlier.

I'm also curious as to whether their technology are essentially artifacts from a golden age on old earth, or if they were created and employed after they came to hyperborea, which would suggest they thrived at some point after their arrival.

I'm also wondering how Hyperboreans regard Atlanteans given the technological and magical achievements the Atlanteans managed to create.

What do you guys think?

6/08/2021 6:38 am  #2

Re: Atlanteans

IMH the Hyperboreans and Atlanteans are derived from Madame Blavatsky's Theosophy: 2nd and 4th (the Lemurians being the 3rd) of the Root Races. As such the Atlanteans are more technologically and sorcerously/psychically advanced than either of the earlier races. My Hyperboreans look down on everyone else.  

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

6/08/2021 7:18 am  #3

Yeah, Hyperboreans are the arrogant bastards since they were last high rulers.

Atlanteans and Lemurians had sophisticated tech/sorcery but those days are long gone. It's all artifact and mystery :-)

What? Me worry?

6/08/2021 8:45 am  #4

The Atlantean culture addition really helps with the weird science aspects of Hyperborea! I have an adventure that culminates in uncovering a temple pyramid built in the time of Atlantan prominence that has come back to life under a glacier. full of technology and weird science stuff...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

6/08/2021 3:09 pm  #5

so...BlackKnight...y'all gonna make that available? :-)

What? Me worry?

6/08/2021 3:18 pm  #6

I dumped some of my weird science stuff over here

https://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=24568#p24568

I also need to toss in some conversions I needed to go from Melan's stuff to Hyperborea

What? Me worry?

6/08/2021 3:32 pm  #7

gizmomathboy wrote:

so...BlackKnight...y'all gonna make that available? :-)

One of these days
The Document for the "Module" is currently 23K words and 43 pages long, containing about 5 settings that could be their own modules in size. I'm pretty sure that by the end of it it's close to 70-90 pages Not Including Maps etc). I'm writing in a crap ton of Norse background and tieing in some new Norse creatures into it (I'm a Hardcore Norse History Buff), along with some Norse "Stylized" Creatures from the main system (new names and descriptions/special abilities).

It was originally a "con" module that I've been adding to for years. Some have said that it's more in line with something from WhiteWolf type Storytelling, rather than Old School Gaming, but that's the way I write, I like giving as much backstory as I can, so others can really become part of the story, and see it from a Quasi "Realistic" point of view...
When I'm done I'm just going to give it out, and if GMs use any part of it I'll be happy at that...

Last edited by BlackKnight (6/08/2021 4:21 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

6/12/2021 11:40 am  #8

The gazetteer specifically says that the Mu-folk arrived in Hyperborea in pre-Cataclysmic times, so I would guess the Atlanteans did as well. One thing Jeff mentioned to me, when I was considering writing an adventure that featured a  pre-Cataclysmic Atlantean thawed out of "cold storage", was that the Atlanteans of that time did not have any aquatic traits, so that seemingly happened after they arrived in Hyperborea.

(One thing it's possible to deduce is that the Atlantean aquatic traits don't stem from being Deep One hybrids. That's because the Atlanteans can't interbreed with other humans, whereas the Deep Ones themselves - to say nothing of Deep One hybrids - obviously can. I imagine this will be left to referee interpretation, but I assume Atlanteans are turning into fish either because of a curse, or an ancient super science experiment gone wrong.)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/19/2021 8:54 pm  #9

Blackadder23 wrote:

(One thing it's possible to deduce is that the Atlantean aquatic traits don't stem from being Deep One hybrids. That's because the Atlanteans can't interbreed with other humans, whereas the Deep Ones themselves - to say nothing of Deep One hybrids - obviously can. I imagine this will be left to referee interpretation, but I assume Atlanteans are turning into fish either because of a curse, or an ancient super science experiment gone wrong.)

This is a good point and I have to reconsider my personal canon. I was running with the idea that the fish-like traits and decline was because the Atlanteans bumped heads with Cthulhu & Co. 

6/24/2021 9:39 am  #10

The Atlanteans, Lemurians, and Mu were coevals of the Hyperboreans and even paid tribute to them, according to legend, as Hyperborea was esteemed as the most powerful nation of Earth. The Atlanteans and the Mu were permitted to occupy islands off mainland Hyperborea and develop sorceries and sciences that the Hyperboreans sought to utilize, so they were present before Hyperborea separated from Old Earth. The Lemurians, however, did not come to occupy any part of the Hyperborean plane until just before the Green Death, when their Lemurian Remnant arrived.  

Regarding Atlantean aquatic traits, this is left vague by intent.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/01/2021 12:06 am  #11

rhialto wrote:

IMH the Hyperboreans and Atlanteans are derived from Madame Blavatsky's Theosophy: 2nd and 4th (the Lemurians being the 3rd) of the Root Races. As such the Atlanteans are more technologically and sorcerously/psychically advanced than either of the earlier races. My Hyperboreans look down on everyone else.  

That is interesting. The way we've presented it in our campaign is that the Atlanteans had the most advanced technology, but the hyperboreans power of sorcery was unrivaled.

gizmomathboy wrote:

I dumped some of my weird science stuff over here

https://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=24568#p24568

I also need to toss in some conversions I needed to go from Melan's stuff to Hyperborea

Very cool. Thanks for the link.

Ghul wrote:

The Atlanteans, Lemurians, and Mu were coevals of the Hyperboreans and even paid tribute to them, according to legend, as Hyperborea was esteemed as the most powerful nation of Earth. The Atlanteans and the Mu were permitted to occupy islands off mainland Hyperborea and develop sorceries and sciences that the Hyperboreans sought to utilize, so they were present before Hyperborea separated from Old Earth. The Lemurians, however, did not come to occupy any part of the Hyperborean plane until just before the Green Death, when their Lemurian Remnant arrived.  

Regarding Atlantean aquatic traits, this is left vague by intent.

Awesome that description is exactly what I was looking for. I also found some useful info in for the lost treasure of Atlantis adventure module about Atlanteans paying tribute to the hyperboreans. Much appreciated.

Last edited by deathknight4044 (7/01/2021 12:12 am)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.