!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2021 1:36 pm  #1

Refactoring Spell Resistance

So I'm a big fan of the Target 20 method for determining hits ( in AS&SH the equation is:  FA/HD + Modifiers + AC = 20 or higher = Hit) so I took a look at the spell resistance ratings and tried to see if I could do a similar thing with the casters CA and make the math easier for me in running combat.

I started with the common 7 in 20 chance of spell resistance vs a CA 12 caster. Since for every CA level less than 12  the chance-in-twenty increases by a one a caster with CA 1 would face an 18 in 20 chance of resistance.  To reverse this number the CA1 has a 2 in 20 chance of affecting the creature (and the CA 12 a 13 in 20 chance).  Therefore for a 7 in 20 spell resistance you can use the equation of:   1 + CA level = chance of spell affecting in 20.  I think this formulation makes for easier math and you can have the player roll if you like so they feel like they've defeated the spell resistance.   Thoughts?   Is my math correct?

5/28/2021 1:56 pm  #2

Re: Refactoring Spell Resistance

I like it, and even more importantly your math is sound. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.