!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2021 1:10 pm  #41

Re: What makes it a Third Edition?

Since we've got Jeff's ear here, any chance of a two page character record sheet?  I really don't like the 4 page ones.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

5/11/2021 2:56 pm  #42

Spider of Leng wrote:

Since we've got Jeff's ear here, any chance of a two page character record sheet?  I really don't like the 4 page ones.

Actually, it's funny that you mention it, because I've been working on this very concept -- a two-page standard sheet, and a two-page addendum sheet for spell casters. So, it's quite possible that this is how the 3e sheets are presented, but the old sheets will be 100% compatible, too. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/11/2021 7:49 pm  #43

Ghul wrote:

Spider of Leng wrote:

Actually, it's funny that you mention it, because I've been working on this very concept -- a two-page standard sheet, and a two-page addendum sheet for spell casters. So, it's quite possible that this is how the 3e sheets are presented, but the old sheets will be 100% compatible, too. 

Sweet!  I could live with that.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

5/12/2021 6:28 am  #44

Seconded for a 3e revised character sheet: I also find the 4-page sheet too much, and have toyed on-and-off with my own. While I love the aesthetic of the current official sheet, a simple two-sided sheet is more my preference. But with style!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/12/2021 10:58 am  #45

Ghul wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

My two cents:
 A cantrip that can make someone sneeze and stuff like that. They could be used creatively and made useful, but it's not something I plan to entertain in the near future.
The pyromancer idea isn't bad, but I am always reluctant to head down the road of D&D 5E in which a plethora of "constant" cool powers evoked at will have stripped the game of an integral and crucial (IMO) element: resource management. Hyperborea is a cold, unforgiving world, and the idea of a class being able to warm up any situation without any appropriate cost is not something that I would want in games I run for my players. I want my players to struggle, because they deserve to suffer.

Oh, for sure about the 5e. I don't like the random powers all over of 5e. I'm running a game, and I keep forgetting I'm not playing my usual OSR games, like AS&SH or DCC, which are more the survival horror. 5e isn't, and it seems odd when players can do things that are meant to be more tabletop-minis-wargame, when I've got them foraging for food.

I suppose my preferred change would be "give my firelord warlock a free lighter".  Like, he can just light a spark as needed. Maybe pay 1hp to spark a flame? 

5/12/2021 12:07 pm  #46

fireinthedust wrote:

Ghul wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

My two cents:
 A cantrip that can make someone sneeze and stuff like that. They could be used creatively and made useful, but it's not something I plan to entertain in the near future.
The pyromancer idea isn't bad, but I am always reluctant to head down the road of D&D 5E in which a plethora of "constant" cool powers evoked at will have stripped the game of an integral and crucial (IMO) element: resource management. Hyperborea is a cold, unforgiving world, and the idea of a class being able to warm up any situation without any appropriate cost is not something that I would want in games I run for my players. I want my players to struggle, because they deserve to suffer.

Oh, for sure about the 5e. I don't like the random powers all over of 5e. I'm running a game, and I keep forgetting I'm not playing my usual OSR games, like AS&SH or DCC, which are more the survival horror. 5e isn't, and it seems odd when players can do things that are meant to be more tabletop-minis-wargame, when I've got them foraging for food.

I suppose my preferred change would be "give my firelord warlock a free lighter".  Like, he can just light a spark as needed. Maybe pay 1hp to spark a flame? 

​Fair enough! Try it out as a house rule and let us know how it goes!

5/12/2021 1:45 pm  #47

Rereading the changes mentioned in the first post, I'm also happy to see that you'll be doing an atlas style change with the map. I assume it will be in the actual book itself? Can you say what makes the new poster map special version?

5/12/2021 1:53 pm  #48

I definitely agree with the change to two hardcover books. The 2e hardcover is glorious, but it's just a hair short of being too large for practical use. Two separate books will be much handier.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/12/2021 2:11 pm  #49

tomas wrote:

Rereading the changes mentioned in the first post, I'm also happy to see that you'll be doing an atlas style change with the map. I assume it will be in the actual book itself? Can you say what makes the new poster map special version?

Yes, I'm gathering quotes on a coil-bound atlas for superior referee utility at the game table. 

We might do another canvas map as the "special" but I'm looking into other possibilities, too.

5/12/2021 2:11 pm  #50

Blackadder23 wrote:

I definitely agree with the change to two hardcover books. The 2e hardcover is glorious, but it's just a hair short of being too large for practical use. Two separate books will be much handier.

I concur.

5/12/2021 3:39 pm  #51

Oooohhh, an atlas.That sounds wonderful

What? Me worry?

5/12/2021 8:04 pm  #52

Will there be previous editions quick primer chart/page for those of us still using our original box sets?
Similar to the Cook/Marsh expert set intro business for those who clung tightly to their Holmes during Moldvay?

5/13/2021 5:10 am  #53

fireinthedust wrote:

[I suppose my preferred change would be "give my firelord warlock a free lighter".  Like, he can just light a spark as needed. Maybe pay 1hp to spark a flame? 

Beyond the Wall and Through Sunken Lands both introduce Cantrips and Rituals (while preserving Old School Vancian Spells): the former matches your desire above (slight magical effect), and the latter is more powerful (but taking an hour/level to cast). Both are rolled for success, however, with failure causing the loss of all magical ability or an unwanted side-effect (caster choice) and the latter always working, but with an unwanted side-effect on failure. It's an interesting adjunct to standard OSR spells.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

5/13/2021 7:52 am  #54

Castles & Crusades has 0 level spells, which are a mix of cantrips and common, non-combat spells like light, dancing lights, ghost sounds, etc.  Wizards, for example get 4 of these at 1st level and a few more later on, in addition to their other spells.  A 1st level wizard in C&C gets 2 level 1 spells in addition, plus INT bonus.  It's still Vancian, but gives lower level casters in particular at lot more to work with.

5/13/2021 8:45 am  #55

Will the timeline of hyperboreas history be re written (stuff like the ashen worm and green death) to account for the new races, or do you plan on keeping it as written and the new races be more recent arrivals to the setting?

5/13/2021 9:39 am  #56

deathknight4044 wrote:

Will the timeline of hyperboreas history be re written (stuff like the ashen worm and green death) to account for the new races, or do you plan on keeping it as written and the new races be more recent arrivals to the setting?

With the exception of the Carolingian Franks, every "new" race mentioned has already been a part of the setting if you dig around through the gazetteer, so no retcon of anything is necessary. It's more a matter of all these races mentioned before not being presented as playable options, and now they are.    

Last edited by Ghul (5/13/2021 6:40 pm)

5/13/2021 1:17 pm  #57

The outline of the new races is exactly what I am looking forward to. 

5/13/2021 6:40 pm  #58

Big Shiny wrote:

The outline of the new races is exactly what I am looking forward to. 

Glad to hear it! 

5/13/2021 6:56 pm  #59

Ghul wrote:

With the exception of the Carolingian Franks, every "new" race mentioned has already been a part of the setting if you dig around through the gazetteer, so no retcon of anything is necessary. It's more a matter of all these races mentioned before not being presented as playable options, and now they are.    

Excellent, glad to hear this. Though, should there be only 12 Paladins if the Carolingian Franks are "new"? 

5/14/2021 9:41 am  #60

rhialto wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Excellent, glad to hear this. Though, should there be only 12 Paladins if the Carolingian Franks are "new"? 

Indeed. And they shall build a hexagonal table...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.