!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2021 10:04 pm  #1

Fred Saberhagen

Just watched a flip-through review of the new DCC supplement based on the Broken Lands trilogy by Fred Saberhagen.  I know the name, of course, but I've never read any of his stuff.  Seems like it would mesh well with Hyperborea thematically.  Any particular recommendations of Saberhagen's work?  Always willing to try new authors out, though, as you've seen, I'm not always on the same page as many of you with respect to these classic Sci-Fi/Fantasy mash-up authors.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

5/11/2021 4:57 am  #2

Re: Fred Saberhagen

I read Empire of the East, and enjoyed it somewhat: Saberhagen is not my favorite of the classic authors, as I find his style spare and unassuming. Still, the setting idea was interesting. I couldn't finish his Books of Swords books...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/11/2021 10:37 pm  #3

I read some of the "Berserker" killer robot books and found them so-so. I didn't even realize he wrote fantasy.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/19/2021 6:50 am  #4

I finished Empire of the East a couple weeks ago.  It was okay, but not good enough to make me go looking for anything else he wrote.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.