!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2021 8:24 am  #21

Re: What makes it a Third Edition?

Are you looking to go more Asian monk (Grasshopper from Kung-Fu)? or more Midevil European Monk (Friar Tuck)?

Also, saw the Ethnicities listings, Are you at one point going to include the Asian "races" (Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian, Polynesian)? Then you could start branching some of the traditional classes associated (Wu-Jen, Bushi/Samurai, Ninja, Kensai, Shugenja).

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

5/06/2021 9:26 am  #22

PortlyFighter wrote:

Any chance of the index or class updates being released as a pdf for those of us who like the one book format?

The index in the 2E softcover Players' Manual matches perfectly with the 2E hardback, so that would be applicable. The index that we will have in the 3E books will not match up (term to page) with past books.

Releasing a PDF of class updates for the 2E book is not very likely, and that will become obvious as to why when the 3E materials are released. There are far too many tweaks and subtle shifts to make this a worthwhile endeavor. My suggestion would be to simply pick up the 3E PDFs and make some notes as you elect to. As a small, family-run business, I simply can't devote a massive block of time to create a PDF update for a past release, because that would sap into creative time intended for new projects in development. I need to be immersed in the development of new adventures and other resources. I hope you understand.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/06/2021 9:33 am  #23

tomas wrote:

I like the change of sorcerer types being able to read shared spells; that was a house rule of mine as I found the way as written too prohibitive.

I'm very interested in the rewrite of the monk. Are you willing to give a preview of a change?

As the monk is the most revised class, I do plan to show it to you guys. But I do this with the understanding that you guys here, my gaming peers -- many of whom have been playing for as many decades as I've been, or more -- may well say, "Great improvements, but why not add x ability, y ability, and take away z ability? Ans while you're at it, what's up with the...." You get my meaning. We're an opinionated lot with different yet similar ideas on what makes something good or better. I suppose what I am saying is, I feel like we've made excellent improvements to the class, but monks in general seem to produce some wildly different ideas on how they should or shouldn't be presented as a playable class. Does that make sense?  

5/06/2021 9:41 am  #24

BlackKnight wrote:

Are you looking to go more Asian monk (Grasshopper from Kung-Fu)? or more Midevil European Monk (Friar Tuck)?

Also, saw the Ethnicities listings, Are you at one point going to include the Asian "races" (Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian, Polynesian)? Then you could start branching some of the traditional classes associated (Wu-Jen, Bushi/Samurai, Ninja, Kensai, Shugenja).

When we're talking default Hyperborean races, and then speaking about the Asian types, we've got two candidates as official playable races, both of which have been mentioned in past publications, one of them actually featured: Yakuts (a nearly extinct race that lost a war of attrition with the Esquimaux), and the Lemurians. The Lemurians were coevals of the Atlanteans, Mu, and Hyperboreans -- all mythical races from "lost continents" in our myths. So, with that being said, sure, you can use any of those Asian-themed class types and apply them to your campaign. Also, keep in mind that because we've (now) got 24 races presented as playable, that doesn't mean you have to limit your campaign to those races. One never knows when the Boreas might sweep in a new migration of people, a new ethnicity from some other time or place. The setting is intended to be adaptable and flexible in this manner, so that you can make it your own. 

Getting back to the monk thing, however -- yes, you can have a Western or Eastern style monk, if you wish. Both are stylistically covered in the descriptive text of the class, but I will admit that the abilities tend to lend themselves to a more Eastern-style variation.  

5/06/2021 12:49 pm  #25

Super excited, and being that I have some inside looks, I am of the mind that 3E will be the best edition. Ghul has promised to add GNOMES too... Cant wait!

I am hard at work on my portion of this thing and I am anxious to have you all see what we have cooked up for you this go around. 

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

5/06/2021 4:37 pm  #26

mavfire wrote:

Super excited, and being that I have some inside looks, I am of the mind that 3E will be the best edition. Ghul has promised to add GNOMES too... Cant wait!

I am hard at work on my portion of this thing and I am anxious to have you all see what we have cooked up for you this go around. 

I told you not to mention the gnomes. It was supposed to be a surprise! What's next, you'll tell them all about our new skills and feats chapters, with feat combinations that allow one to play a 1/3 gnome, 1/3 Amazon, 1/3 gelatinous cube paladin/illusionist prestige class robot/psionicist?  

5/06/2021 10:31 pm  #27

Excited about a new edition in any case, especially a revised monk since they're nerfed in the current version.  And since my previous book was damaged in a flood, I can absolutely justify forking over the cash for these new books.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

5/07/2021 6:01 am  #28

Looking forward to separate books again: while the 2E Compleat is beautiful, I wish I had a GM's-only book for it, to match the Player's book.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/07/2021 9:41 am  #29

Ghul wrote:

As the monk is the most revised class, I do plan to show it to you guys. But I do this with the understanding that you guys here, my gaming peers -- many of whom have been playing for as many decades as I've been, or more -- may well say, "Great improvements, but why not add x ability, y ability, and take away z ability? Ans while you're at it, what's up with the...." You get my meaning. We're an opinionated lot with different yet similar ideas on what makes something good or better. I suppose what I am saying is, I feel like we've made excellent improvements to the class, but monks in general seem to produce some wildly different ideas on how they should or shouldn't be presented as a playable class. Does that make sense?  

It makes sense and I totally get where you are coming from.

5/07/2021 4:22 pm  #30

Very excited for the release of 3e. I personally like the return of the two volume set as it has greater utility at the table. I also dig the expanded playable character races! I'm hoping this project is a smashing success. 

5/08/2021 1:29 pm  #31

My two cents:

1) OSR Sorcerous types could use some kind of at-will feature to feel magical. While that could include a 1d4 attack for full casters, like in He-Man (non-lethal, or through items as relatively common for them as daggers for thieves, fine, but something) - it could ALSO be as simple as dancing lights or prestidigitation.

2)  Warlocks need the same sort of magical features as their similar classes, like pyromancer/Fire Lords being resistant to fire damage; or better, being "warm" in the winter without needing furs.
OR: At least, Pyromancers/fire lords need some way to start fires without needing a spell slot, like in Conan the Destroyer. Being without a lighter is a pain for anyone, sure, but if you're dealing with the hassle of being a spellcaster, being able to do at least cosmetic fire things would help.

3)  Races in the game is tricky. Maybe "cultures" would be wiser - as the Roman Empire included a wide range of people who looked different ways while still being "culturally Roman". You have different city states within the setting, and a history of different ethnic groups being brought over. After a few generations you get a new culture forming - like how English settlers to North America started to identify as "Americans". I can't imagine that the Celts and Romans and Vikings who landed in Hyperborea would still call themselves that if their families had spend centuries mixing in Khromarium. They're Kromarians now, so live it up!

5/08/2021 10:18 pm  #32

Ghul wrote:

mavfire wrote:

I told you not to mention the gnomes. It was supposed to be a surprise! What's next, you'll tell them all about our new skills and feats chapters, with feat combinations that allow one to play a 1/3 gnome, 1/3 Amazon, 1/3 gelatinous cube paladin/illusionist prestige class robot/psionicist?  

I'm now very excited.  I cannot wait to play my 1/3 Amazon, 1/3 mammoth and my 1/3 thew waggon PC mysteriously colored as the Scooby Doo Mystery machine with tusks and Amazonian spear maiden that looks like Daphne... wait, wrong game. 

Thanks for the humor Ghul!  Can't wait to back this however it turns out.

Other bands play, Manowar kill!

5/09/2021 9:21 am  #33

A half serious question, where tf did the idea for a thew waggon come from?

Have I not go to that particular Clark Ashton Smith story or what? :-)

One of the more bizarre monsters in any game I've ever read about.

What? Me worry?

5/10/2021 8:21 am  #34

gizmomathboy wrote:

I don't recognize the inspiration in anything by CAS/HPL/REH.

My guess is original creation or one of the "lesser" authors cited (Vance, maybe).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/10/2021 10:14 am  #35

Blackadder23 wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

I don't recognize the inspiration in anything by CAS/HPL/REH.

My guess is original creation or one of the "lesser" authors cited (Vance, maybe).

It is indeed inspired by Vance. I'm trying to recall which story, but it escapes me at the moment, but I know for certain it was Vance.

5/10/2021 10:41 am  #36

fireinthedust wrote:

My two cents:

1) OSR Sorcerous types could use some kind of at-will feature to feel magical. While that could include a 1d4 attack for full casters, like in He-Man (non-lethal, or through items as relatively common for them as daggers for thieves, fine, but something) - it could ALSO be as simple as dancing lights or prestidigitation.

I can't say that I'm fond of this idea, but by all means, incorporate it into your campaign and let us know how it works out! It sounds very 5E to me, which I think is "just okay" but really not my cup of tea. In fact, one of the reasons 5e makes me frown is the magician-type classes being able to use a constant damaging power to the tune of 1d8 or 1d10 every round, at will. It's preposterous to me. I did have some fun with Unearthed Arcana back in the day with some of the cantrips, if that's what you're getting at. A cantrip that can make someone sneeze and stuff like that. They could be used creatively and made useful, but it's not something I plan to entertain in the near future.   

2)  Warlocks need the same sort of magical features as their similar classes, like pyromancer/Fire Lords being resistant to fire damage; or better, being "warm" in the winter without needing furs.
OR: At least, Pyromancers/fire lords need some way to start fires without needing a spell slot, like in Conan the Destroyer. Being without a lighter is a pain for anyone, sure, but if you're dealing with the hassle of being a spellcaster, being able to do at least cosmetic fire things would help.

Not very fond of this either (the warlock part). As currently written, warlocks are among the top few most powerful character classes in the game, and I don't think they need any help, especially if it takes away from the uniqueness of the spell-casting counterpart class. Next thing you know, they will want warlocks that cast necromancer spells to have undead turning. It's a slippery slope. If you want to try it in your game, I would suggest increasing the level advancement rate to a base 3,500. 

The pyromancer idea isn't bad, but I am always reluctant to head down the road of D&D 5E in which a plethora of "constant" cool powers evoked at will have stripped the game of an integral and crucial (IMO) element: resource management. Hyperborea is a cold, unforgiving world, and the idea of a class being able to warm up any situation without any appropriate cost is not something that I would want in games I run for my players. I want my players to struggle, because they deserve to suffer.

3)  Races in the game is tricky. Maybe "cultures" would be wiser - as the Roman Empire included a wide range of people who looked different ways while still being "culturally Roman". You have different city states within the setting, and a history of different ethnic groups being brought over. After a few generations you get a new culture forming - like how English settlers to North America started to identify as "Americans". I can't imagine that the Celts and Romans and Vikings who landed in Hyperborea would still call themselves that if their families had spend centuries mixing in Khromarium. They're Kromarians now, so live it up!

This topic comes up from time to time, but usually not from people who play this game. So, to be clear, here is how race is described as we go forward with the next edition:

Races in Hyperborea are cultural and ethnic groupings with shared physical traits, social characteristics (e.g., language, customs, dress), and common geographic origins—most of which can be traced back to Old Earth. The Hyperborean race is the autochthonous race of Hyperborea; other races crossed the veil at different times, oft contributing to diametrical cultural variance despite the relatively small size of the realm.  

And you are spot-on regarding attitudes in a place like Khromarium. In fact, we've incorporated this very thinking in some of our books (Rats in the Walls, and elsewhere) in which people from Khromarium may refer to themselves as "Khromari." Still, you will have ethnic neighborhoods in which, say for a example, the Kelts are going to call themselves Kelts. Anyway, great point, and I do agree.

5/10/2021 10:42 am  #37

MrManowar wrote:

Ghul wrote:

mavfire wrote:

I'm now very excited. I cannot wait to play my 1/3 Amazon, 1/3 mammoth and my 1/3 thew waggon PC mysteriously colored as the Scooby Doo Mystery machine with tusks and Amazonian spear maiden that looks like Daphne... wait, wrong game.

Thanks for the humor Ghul! Can't wait to back this however it turns out.

Ha! That was hilarious, Mr M! ;)

5/10/2021 11:14 am  #38

Ghul wrote:

Hyperborea is a cold, unforgiving world..... I want my players to struggle, because they deserve to suffer. 

Wow!  If this is the players' fate, I dread to think what's in store for their PCs...  

5/10/2021 11:23 am  #39

Doctor_Rob wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Hyperborea is a cold, unforgiving world..... I want my players to struggle, because they deserve to suffer. 

Wow!  If this is the players' fate, I dread to think what's in store for their PCs...  

They deserve even worse...

5/11/2021 12:33 pm  #40

The idea of spellcasters in the Hyperborea rules being given WotC-style "goodies" like free magic missiles is giving me the dry heaves.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.