!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2021 2:34 pm  #4081

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[Kondor +100XP for barbaric restraint.]

His companions' new daggers shine ahead but the brute cannot tell if they are moving forward or standing still...

3/24/2021 4:42 pm  #4082

Iron Ranger wrote:

His companions' new daggers shine ahead but the brute cannot tell if they are moving forward or standing still...

Wait, we're standing still while they grab the daggers. Do you mean the light, or is he feeling dizzy?

3/24/2021 7:45 pm  #4083

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Wait, we're standing still while they grab the daggers. Do you mean the light, or is he feeling dizzy?

I mean that Gundrabu and Tillak entered the corridor but no further movement has occurred.

3/25/2021 8:20 am  #4084

Gundrabu walks and walks.

“This passage is long, Tillak.”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

3/25/2021 8:28 am  #4085

After 200 ft Gundrubu begins to hear the drone of moving water.

3/25/2021 8:57 am  #4086

“You hear that, Tillak? I expect we are coming to an underground river. In the spring I expect it swells and fills the chambers of this well. Still, all this is quite peculiar.”

Gundrabu continues his determined strides.

3/26/2021 4:57 pm  #4087

On and on and Gundrabu now smells water and sees the glint of wet on the stone walls.

3/26/2021 6:20 pm  #4088

Kondor keeps up with the others, staying near Gundrabu - who is more frail than the warlock, the barbarian assumes.

3/26/2021 11:03 pm  #4089

OOC: Sorry. I never got alerts to my email. 

Tillak tries to look past Gundrabu and gauge how deep the passage is. 

"We must be careful. There may be evil ahead. However, if there is a spring perhaps it leads to the outside. Let us proceed." 

Tillak thinks. 

"What if time has not really passed? What if we alone were aged? I was unable to determine the nature of this enchantment."

OOC: Is there a way to determine the nature of the enchantment cast on us? 

"We must be careful. There is 

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

3/27/2021 8:21 am  #4090

As the echoing rush grows deafening, the corridor finally ends at a natural tunnel about 8 ft high and maybe 9 ft wide across running perpendicular to the corridor.  3 steps lead down to the water rushing by forcefully. 

3/27/2021 1:50 pm  #4091

[Sully, your notifications are probably going right to your Junk. Mine do. I don’t even bother looking for them but just check the forum at least once a day.]

“Tillak, I suspect that just we three and all our possessions were magically aged, as incomprehensible as it may be. I know that we were covered in dust, but I suspect that this was the result of an area of influence about us.

“A yet greater mystery, to me, is what became of that corpse suspended by chains.”

Gundrabu walks down the flight of stairs to the water’s edge. He holds his lighted dagger aloft and looks upriver, downriver, and across it for a corresponding passage on the far side. He looks for boats or stepping stones and gauges the length of the river.

3/27/2021 5:21 pm  #4092

Kondor thinks back along the route they've taken. Given the direction of the water, is the flow moving towards or away from the grate where they lost his helmet?

3/27/2021 8:25 pm  #4093

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor thinks back along the route they've taken. Given the direction of the water, is the flow moving towards or away from the grate where they lost his helmet?

The stone steps inside the fount looped around so many times his direction sense is shot.

3/27/2021 8:27 pm  #4094

Eirvit wrote:

[Sully, your notifications are probably going right to your Junk. Mine do. I don’t even bother looking for them but just check the forum at least once a day.]

“Tillak, I suspect that just we three and all our possessions were magically aged, as incomprehensible as it may be. I know that we were covered in dust, but I suspect that this was the result of an area of influence about us.

“A yet greater mystery, to me, is what became of that corpse suspended by chains.”

Gundrabu walks down the flight of stairs to the water’s edge. He holds his lighted dagger aloft and looks upriver, downriver, and across it for a corresponding passage on the far side. He looks for boats or stepping stones and gauges the length of the river.

The dagger light is weak, but he does indeed spy 4 canoes overturned and tied down with ropes in a small landing across the water upstream 20 ft or so.

3/28/2021 5:31 am  #4095

Tillak moves next to Gundrabu. His eyes widen as he just now remembers the skeleton that was chained below.

"Ythaqqa's blood and bones!" he gasps. "Has it been given hellish life and freed itself of its bonds? Have our stolen years been given to those bones?!" Tillak gnashes his teeth. "I'll have that priest's blood for sending me into this pit of horror!" 

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

3/28/2021 9:03 am  #4096

Gundrabu looks appraisingly at Tillak.

“Interesting conjecture, cousin. I hadn’t thought of that. Yes, perhaps the thing was something of a vampire, rather than we being the victims of a senseless curse.”

Gundrabu looks again upstream.

“Barbarian, canoes lie yonder. I would be stripping to swim to them even now, but perhaps only the hardiest of us should risk a swim and the current. What say you?”

4/02/2021 11:17 pm  #4097

The roar of the rushing water could be masking any barbarian's uttered response, but he has not shed any armor or packs or weapons to make the dangerous journey....

4/03/2021 6:44 pm  #4098

Kondor sheds his armor and packs, but keeps his sword ready. He goes down to the boats to investigate.

4/03/2021 8:59 pm  #4099

Kondor steps into the rushing waters in his skivvies, only his sword held erect in the frigid current.

[roll extraordinary str feat.]

4/03/2021 9:00 pm  #4100

[Gundrabu call a d12.]
[Tillak call a d12.]

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.