!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2021 4:12 pm  #3981

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor will finish with his own nails before helping the others.

Kondor +250XP !

3/03/2021 4:15 pm  #3982

Finally, all the sheared gnarled nails lay in a huge unsightly pile on the dust covered and waxed covered floor.

3/03/2021 4:54 pm  #3983

Kondor looks around this room.  Aside from the entrance, is there another doorway out of the chamber?

3/03/2021 5:41 pm  #3984

The soft dull glow of white hue emitting from inside the fount doesn't cast enough light to see past where the group stands.

3/03/2021 6:24 pm  #3985

Tillak growls in frustration. He thanks Kondor for helping him with his nails. He looks down at his war pick, gauging whether it can still serve him in battle. Then he begins to rummage through his pack looking for flint and steel with which to light his lantern. 

"Y'thaqqa's blood, this is a wretched state. We must find a way to exit this chamber of horror. I will attempt to light this lantern and give us a view of what lies beyond, in the dark." 

Tillak thinks to himself that if he ever sees the priest who sent him on this quest he'll throttle him, then he checks such thoughts as being unjust. Tillak doubts that the priest knew such calamity would befall him or these other adventurers.   

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

3/05/2021 10:37 am  #3986

While Tillak works with his oil and lamp, Gundrabu, expecting his fellow Esquimaux will run into some difficulty with that, walks back up to the edge of the dry fount.

Whatever the company chooses to do, it will need light, and Gundrabu won’t be able to provide It until he again has access to his spells. He looks into the fount to see if the light shines all the way down.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

3/05/2021 1:28 pm  #3987

Eirvit wrote:

While Tillak works with his oil and lamp, Gundrabu, expecting his fellow Esquimaux will run into some difficulty with that, walks back up to the edge of the dry fount.

Whatever the company chooses to do, it will need light, and Gundrabu won’t be able to provide It until he again has access to his spells. He looks into the fount to see if the light shines all the way down.

4 Empty, broken chains hang against the cylindrical stone wall attached to anchors about 10 feet in. Below that- a catwalk narrow row of rungs descends round and round down another 100 ft or so to what seems to be 4 tiny pricks of white light on the walls.

3/05/2021 3:11 pm  #3988

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak growls in frustration. He thanks Kondor for helping him with his nails. He looks down at his war pick, gauging whether it can still serve him in battle. Then he begins to rummage through his pack looking for flint and steel with which to light his lantern. 

"Y'thaqqa's blood, this is a wretched state. We must find a way to exit this chamber of horror. I will attempt to light this lantern and give us a view of what lies beyond, in the dark." 

Tillak thinks to himself that if he ever sees the priest who sent him on this quest he'll throttle him, then he checks such thoughts as being unjust. Tillak doubts that the priest knew such calamity would befall him or these other adventurers.   

His war pick will still serve him, but could use a thorough polishing.
He quickly locates his gear, but his flasks are bone dry.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (3/05/2021 3:11 pm)

3/05/2021 10:45 pm  #3989

Looking at the empty oil flasks, Tillka curses. 

"Brothers, my oil is gone. I cannot light my lantern. We will have to rely on the light from the glowing lumins harvested from the dead beetles."

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

3/06/2021 9:54 am  #3990

Just to clarify, Gundrabu's homemade glandsac is dark.
Tillak's skins are evaporated too. Rations are shrunk to moldy petrified nibblets. 

3/06/2021 4:06 pm  #3991

Gundrabu takes the rope out of his pack, begging Khalk-xu that the ravages of time have not made it useless.

3/06/2021 4:55 pm  #3992

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu takes the rope out of his pack, begging Khalk-xu that the ravages of time have not made it useless.

The confines of the satchel (assuredly along with Khalk-xu's blessing) have kept the rope strong.

3/06/2021 6:00 pm  #3993

“Without a source of illumination to help us out the way we came, we surely must follow the light we have. We go into the pit.”

Gundrabu hands one end of the rope to Kondor.

”You two hold my weight. With the Kraken’s blessing, I shall descend first. Once I reach the catwalk—and hopefully I shall make do with the chains, Tillak shall follow.”

Gundrabu grins ruefully at the barbarian.

”Already I know you are an able climber, Kimmerian. I trust you can handle your own descent.”

3/06/2021 7:10 pm  #3994

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu grins ruefully at the barbarian. ”Already I know you are an able climber, Kimmerian. I trust you can handle your own descent.”

Kondor smirks, then checks his grip on the rope, wrapping it around his waist and squaring his stance to hold the weight while the others climb.

Yet, despite his outward bravado, he worries that time may have withered his brawn as it did their supplies. 

3/07/2021 12:27 am  #3995

Tillak moves to stand by Kondor and aid on holding the rope that Gundrabu will use to descend into the pit. 

"Y'thaqqa, do not abandon us in this time of need." Tillak mutters under his breath, making sure that no one can hear him.

3/07/2021 12:32 am  #3996

Kondor and Tillak STR test rolls please.
Gundrabu roll a d12.

3/07/2021 8:45 am  #3997

D12- 1!

3/07/2021 10:28 am  #3998

Gundrabu cinches the rope around his waist and  over his shoulder then mounts the fount’s lip. His companions groan as he steps over slowly being lowered the 10 feet to the the limp chains in the wall.

The rope vibrates and shudders as he wonders if Kondor and Tillak will continue to hold his weight...

3/07/2021 11:15 am  #3999

Strength test d6: 5! (ugh)

3/07/2021 12:08 pm  #4000

fireinthedust wrote:

Strength test d6: 5! (ugh)

The barbarian's sinews tremble and he suddenly wishes that Gundrabu had descended unencumbered by his armor, pack, and weapons.....

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.