!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2014 1:14 pm  #1

Hyperborea Bathymetry

Totally wide open what the submarine topography of Hyperborea would look like. The eternally cascading seas over the infinity falls. The "rising" of water back up (if that is what happens) to replenish the watertable. The isobaths would be cool to see-would they reveal the watery tomb of Kthulu? 
I've been thinking on a mini sand box setting on Hyperborea. An anomaly in the ocean currents eventually floats damaged/abandoned/cursed ships to a certain place where one of the above "upwellings" traps them. An undiscovered species of vine-like  flowering lotus eventually ties them loosely together and degenerate humans fight fish men and sea hydras and other nasties for survival on a variety of human and perhaps alien ships from all time periods of Hyperborea history.

Last edited by Agricola (5/12/2014 1:15 pm)

5/12/2014 1:37 pm  #2

Re: Hyperborea Bathymetry

Agricola wrote:

I've been thinking on a mini sand box setting on Hyperborea. An anomaly in the ocean currents eventually floats damaged/abandoned/cursed ships to a certain place where one of the above "upwellings" traps them. An undiscovered species of vine-like  flowering lotus eventually ties them loosely together and degenerate humans fight fish men and sea hydras and other nasties for survival on a variety of human and perhaps alien ships from all time periods of Hyperborea history.

Sounds fantastic! Let us know what else you come up with.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/12/2014 4:44 pm  #3

Yeah, that sounds great. I just read Ballard's The Drowned World and also have been thinking about things drifting into Hyperborea from various real and possible times.

5/13/2014 6:33 am  #4

OK. Did a little map studying and reading of the fantastic setting that is AS&SH last night. We have the six Greater Obelisks making a six sided shape of the Hyperborean world. The Spiral Mountaing array has six "arms" or "spines" spinning out of it. For most you can extend out to the flat portion of the map betwixt the Greater Obelisks-so to extend the logic of that-the underwater topography would have the mountain spines beneath the depths flowing on out. The geographic anomaly seems to be with Thaumagorga's Teeth and the Floating Island of Paradoxan. I didn't bring my notes with me prior to writing this so a bit from the hip here. But I believe I am describing the basics here of this pleasant discovery last night.    

5/13/2014 9:55 am  #5

Fascinating to ponder.  I'd love to see what you come up with in detail, Agricola!

5/13/2014 1:11 pm  #6

Agricola wrote:

OK. Did a little map studying and reading of the fantastic setting that is AS&SH last night. We have the six Greater Obelisks making a six sided shape of the Hyperborean world. The Spiral Mountaing array has six "arms" or "spines" spinning out of it. For most you can extend out to the flat portion of the map betwixt the Greater Obelisks-so to extend the logic of that-the underwater topography would have the mountain spines beneath the depths flowing on out. The geographic anomaly seems to be with Thaumagorga's Teeth and the Floating Island of Paradoxan. I didn't bring my notes with me prior to writing this so a bit from the hip here. But I believe I am describing the basics here of this pleasant discovery last night.    

It seems you have unearthed or brought to light a few of my intentional designs. Great detective work!

5/13/2014 1:17 pm  #7

Ghul wrote:

Agricola wrote:

It seems you have unearthed or brought to light a few of my intentional designs. Great detective work!

COOL!

5/14/2014 9:53 am  #8

Further study of the map has some areas in white while others are gray shaded and was wondering why. So, River Okeanos (spelling?) has crosswinds and in year 4 whirlpools and lies between the 18 and 36 degree marks. I'm thinking of putting the hex of ships outside of that towards the outer edge but not too close. 

5/14/2014 10:46 am  #9

The white hexes are glaciated or at minimum are icy throughout most of the 13-year cycle.

5/14/2014 12:52 pm  #10

Thanks for clearing that up! Makes sense now that you say it. If that made any sense.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.