!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2021 9:02 am  #3881

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu leads the way into the chamber, lighting his steps and taking care not to step again into the wax. He also looks at the walls, searching for new passages or notable features.

Ideally, there is space at the far edges of the wax that Gundrabu can use to make his way. If there is not, he will (obviously) not step into it.

Last edited by Eirvit (2/09/2021 5:50 pm)

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

2/09/2021 4:08 pm  #3882

Tillak readies his weapon. He will follow Kondor and bring up the rear. 

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

2/10/2021 10:43 am  #3883

Probably raising Tillak's lantern's hood again to cast maximum light, Gundrabu crawls over the beetle carcass and hesitates stepping in as he sees that the wax covers the entire of the 40' diameter floor from the raised fount to the walls...

2/10/2021 11:10 am  #3884

Gundrabu raises his voice so that it echoes back to the others.

“If my companions feel that we should explore this place, perhaps we can dismember the beetle or find large rocks for footholds in traversing this obstacle of clinging wax.”

Gundrabu turns his head subtly so that the gleam of one eye fastens on Tillak, though what he says ostensibly is meant for Kondor.

“We are devoid of food, however, as long as we have not a pot — or a helmet — in which to place our Spoon of Neverending Gruel, though I myself no longer am satisfied with gruel. I intend to slay the largest deer I can find in the wood and feast on its roasted flesh until I am sick!”

Gundrabu turns back to view the wax and fount.

“Kondor, if you seek your Helm of Brilliance — and I want it for a porridge pot — there is perhaps aught I can do, an orison that may reveal its location for us.”

2/10/2021 1:25 pm  #3885

Eirvit wrote:

“Kondor, if you seek your Helm of Brilliance — and I want it for a porridge pot — there is perhaps aught I can do, an orison that may reveal its location for us.”

"Do it," Kondor nods, and smirks. "Except for the pot. Maybe Tillak has a pot? It's a crown of my people, not scullery iron."

2/10/2021 5:57 pm  #3886

[Do I have a helmet? It doesn't state it clearly in the equipment section that laminate armor comes with a helmet. If I had the choice, IRL, I'd totally have a helmet. If I do have a helmet, then I offer it to Gundrabu.]  

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

2/10/2021 5:58 pm  #3887

Tillak's stomach rumbles at the mention of deer. 

"I have grown tired if sea-bird meat. Venison would be a welcome change." 

2/10/2021 6:16 pm  #3888

SullyB74 wrote:

[Do I have a helmet? It doesn't state it clearly in the equipment section that laminate armor comes with a helmet. If I had the choice, IRL, I'd totally have a helmet. If I do have a helmet, then I offer it to Gundrabu.]  

on pg. 80  ... the following armor types are presumed to include suitable limb protection and headgear....

I'd say laminated armor would include a chainlink coif.

2/10/2021 6:24 pm  #3889

[Got it. No gruel for us. ]

2/10/2021 7:03 pm  #3890

As if he is imagining what Tillak is thinking, Gundrabu smiles.

Then he speaks a salty prayer to Khalk-xu.

O Dread Kraken
Thou Who Knowest the secret source of the sea
The final resting place of every sunken galleon
The secrets that men whisper to the abyss
Like stones tossed to the waves,
Send forth your undulating coils,
Crawl through the sands of the sea
And reveal to me this man's... headpiece.

Locate Object
Level: mag 2, clr 3, wch 2; Range: 90 feet; Duration: 1 turn per CA level
The caster announces an object to be found; this might be a lost sword, a bronze door, or the like. The object must be well known by the caster: its colour, texture, size, and so forth. Someone describing the item to the caster is insufficient. If the object is within range, the caster will know which direction to seek, but not the precise distance.

Last edited by Eirvit (2/10/2021 7:10 pm)

2/10/2021 9:05 pm  #3891

The esquimeaux's eyes roll back in his head as he turns around to face the grate behind him as the briny crashing roar of the Kraken's glory fill his ears and a vision floods his eyes.

[Gundrabu +250 XP]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/10/2021 9:05 pm)

2/10/2021 9:39 pm  #3892

Kondor watches as the Cleric intones his call to the kraken, invoking eldritch powers to reveal the crown's location... and promptly point behind them to the grate.

"(sigh), I mean, it's not wrong..." Kondor pinches the bridge of his nose. "We should press on. Perhaps we can ignite the wax itself? Emral told me once that candles burn the wax, not the wick, when the wax melts against the flame. Mayhaps a torch flame could clear a path through the wax so we can pass through? If only Emral were here, or Ignan, with their 'flaming sphere'..." 

2/11/2021 1:56 pm  #3893

“Interesting conjecture, Kondor. It is my understanding, as well, that it is the wax that provides fuel for the wick, though, as anyone may see, the wick itself is consumed in the process. We have two torches, though one is half spent. My own fear is not that we can start a conflagration but that the wax itself will run and consume the flame. I have seen this with candles when I have been late to trim the wick.”

Gundrabu hands the two torches to Kondor (and the fire kit — I think I have all Kondor’s stuff!), then goes back to the carcass of the beetle. He sets the lantern near it, studies it a bit, then (if nothing occurs to interfere) will kneel and use his +2 dagger to cut and pry away pieces of it, its carapace.

Gundrabu’s intent is to use these pieces as footholds on the wax. At least, he will try an experiment, if this operation is completed.

2/11/2021 7:06 pm  #3894

Tillak moves over to where Gundrabu is working on the beetles and draws his dagger so that he can help him in dismembering the beetles. 

2/11/2021 9:01 pm  #3895

Gundrabu and the beetle take up most of the doorway, so Tillak waits ready behind.

The easiest pieces to remove are the legs. Cutting the shell might be possible but recalling how hardy the b**** was to kill...would take some time.

2/15/2021 10:14 pm  #3896

How will Gundrabu fasten the beetle legs to his boots?

2/16/2021 11:15 am  #3897

Rather what I was thinking of was using chunks of the dismembered carcass to create footholds/rests within the wax by tossing them a stride a piece from the edge of the wax flow.

Big rocks or chunks of masonry would be worth trying too, if anything like that is laying about.

2/16/2021 11:17 am  #3898

Then we maybe can walk across the top of the wax, like stepping on stones above a stream, depending on how deep the wax is. Even if the wax is deep and the footholds sink, perhaps they sink slowly enough for us to scamper across.

2/16/2021 11:22 am  #3899

Yes, I thought that, and replied how it might take many turns to sever the shell into those pieces.

Gundrabu thinks the wax is hardened at this point though.

2/16/2021 5:27 pm  #3900

Okay, Gundrabu is fine taking many turns, but maybe his companions aren’t?

If someone thinks Gundrabu should drag the beetle out of the way, he’s fine with that. I’m increasingly getting the impression that this is a VERY big beetle (especially since it blocks an entire passageway), so Gundrabu certainly doesn’t have the strength to move it on his own.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.