!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2021 2:36 pm  #3681

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu flinches as his scrimshaw symbol glances off his head. “Have a care, Kondor, lest the Kraken twist off your head for blasphemy!”

Gundrabu continues his attempt to light the torch, certain he will not find the divine image in the utter dark.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/14/2021 2:50 pm  #3682

ooc: Is there any ambient light from outside? Starlight? Auroraborealis? Reflections off snow? Reflections from farther away bounced off cloud cover?

1/14/2021 3:55 pm  #3683

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc: Is there any ambient light from outside? Starlight? Auroraborealis? Reflections off snow? Reflections from farther away bounced off cloud cover?

Kondor strains his eyes in the darkness on the ledge next to the gear. Nothing, and from this height and distance he cannot even pick out the dim light crack from the grate area either.

The barbarian racks his brain for memories of his location: he climbed the hillside to the cave entrances, he entered the second cave and maybe there was a slope? And then he slipped and fell down the long slide, hard to gauge its length - even for such a keen outdoorsman as he-- and then over the lip into the muck, maybe a 20 foot fall?  

Just to hard to know how close he is to outside.

Looking back up the slide steps in this darkness is black too.

1/14/2021 6:42 pm  #3684

"Gundrabu, have you got a light yet? I dropped your holy symbol down there," Kondor calls down. "Hurry, so we can get my helm and warm up somehow. Maybe find the lava room and dry out?"

1/14/2021 7:41 pm  #3685

While Gundrabu fiddles to figure out which end of the torch is which...I'm just gonna make some rolls over here....

1/14/2021 7:42 pm  #3686

Iron Ranger wrote:

While Gundrabu fiddles to figure out which end of the torch is which...I'm just gonna make some rolls over here....

😁

1/15/2021 3:42 pm  #3687

Kondor listens in case beast men are approaching.  "Here we go again" he thinks.

1/16/2021 3:47 pm  #3688

In the dark--- far up the slide/ stepcase ---Kondor suddenly sees many lights emerge into view.  The dull red lights move around and over themselves for a moment then organize into distinct linear patterns and slowly begin to approach him.

1/16/2021 7:46 pm  #3689

"Huh," Kondor grunts, then attempts to feel the gear, grab onto the opposite side, and duck behind it.

"Gundrabu! They're coming! Make it snappy with the light and let's get out of here!" Kondor whisper-shouts to the cleric.

1/16/2021 7:50 pm  #3690

[Kondor roll d12!]

1/16/2021 8:03 pm  #3691

[Gundrabu roll d6!]

1/16/2021 10:12 pm  #3692

Iron Ranger wrote:

[Kondor roll d12!]

d12:  6!

1/17/2021 8:39 am  #3693

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

[Kondor roll d12!]

d12:  6!

Kondor feels out in the darkness for the gear wheel. Years of practiced stealth allows him to silently slip over to its other side, his feet reach out for landing but there is none, the slab remains halfway down. He dangles, his mighty arms bulging with his weight as he peers the strange red glows coming yet closer.

1/17/2021 8:56 am  #3694

D6- 6!

1/17/2021 10:52 am  #3695

Gundrabu gets his hands on the torch, But where the heck is the tinderbox.....

1/17/2021 10:55 am  #3696

Feeling blindly about n the darkness. “I could have sworn I had set it right over here...”

1/17/2021 10:58 am  #3697

Does Kondor feel that he could drop down from where he's dangling, safely?

1/17/2021 11:11 am  #3698

Eirvit wrote:

Feeling blindly about n the darkness. “I could have sworn I had set it right over here...”

There it is!

1/17/2021 11:13 am  #3699

fireinthedust wrote:

I'm not sure. Kondor often shuns safety.
Do you want to let go?

1/17/2021 1:36 pm  #3700

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

I'm not sure. Kondor often shuns safety.
Do you want to let go?

Sure, he shuns safety - but he's a professional mountaineer! They're all calculated risks, with a keen instinct.

He's going to do it, with one hand and foot on the wall to soak the kinetic energy to keep it from being a freefall. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.