!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2021 11:04 am  #3661

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Yes and yes

1/12/2021 11:25 am  #3662

Gundrabu looks meaningfully at Kondor as if to say, “You know what to do.”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/12/2021 11:47 am  #3663

Eirvit wrote:

ooc: So... raise the slab? With the pry bar? Or go full Arnie and heft the sucker?

1/12/2021 1:02 pm  #3664

fireinthedust wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

ooc: So... raise the slab? With the pry bar? Or go full Arnie and heft the sucker?

1/12/2021 4:44 pm  #3665

Gundrabu holds Kondor’s blank gaze for a moment, then clears his throat.

“I have seen the prodigious talents of your people already, barbarian. To access this door, I believe you again must ascend this screw, raise the slab by means of the crank, then descend to open this door.”

1/12/2021 5:07 pm  #3666

1/12/2021 5:53 pm  #3667

“Or... I believe I see the gears right over there. See if you can raise the slab.”

1/12/2021 6:07 pm  #3668

The gear is up a level at the slide's edge, at the end of the stairs.

You two and the slab are currently like 18ish feet below it.

1/12/2021 8:24 pm  #3669

occ: Oh, Kondor totally gets it.

Kondor climbs up to the platform, takes his time to hop over to the gap, then moves the gears to move the platform; then he climbs down and goes to the door... and opens it!

1/12/2021 8:53 pm  #3670

[Gotcha, but let's take all those moves 1 turn at a time...]

Kondor begins to climb the cylindrical screw -  no problem for the wild beast.
As he nears the ledge, the cleric below suddenly feels a pang in his chest where his holy symbol usually hangs, and [I assume] dismounts the slab.
Kondor uses his brute strength to turn the heavy gear crank.
Below, the slab begins its agonizingly slow ascent.

As the slab finally  clears the doorway, the door - unlatched by Kondor's sword, [as I've never had a dagger on his character sheet, did he pick one up somewhere I'm forgetting?], swings open suddenly! 

A gush of backdraft air rushes into the room, immediately dousing the strange yellow dim light within, milliseconds before the cleric could see exactly what the shapes inside the space were!

And in the same moment, Kraken's Light ends above!

1/13/2021 12:06 pm  #3671

1/13/2021 12:52 pm  #3672

😲 Did the original adventurers cross mountains to get here? We’re *not* doing that in depths of Night!

Btw, Gundrabu might as well drop down his pack and fish out a torch and tinderbox. 😉

1/13/2021 8:49 pm  #3673

Kondor climbs down, but before they leave he (a) hands over the holy symbol, and then (b) points them towards the other door near the grate.

"We need to check the other door, as that's where you say the Kimmerian Crown rolled to when that Un-dead's spell knocked me senseless."

Kondor goes to the door near the grate, slides his sword in the other door's crack as he did the first one, and hopes to open it.

ooc: There was also the village of Shankshill, where folks were recruited by that village priest. Dunwich must be another adventure hook location.
I'm thinking we should explore the other doorway before going outside. It's insanely cold out there, and we've been literally swimming in manure. We're likely drenched, and would freeze before taking a few steps.

1/13/2021 8:57 pm  #3674

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor climbs down, but before they leave he (a) hands over the holy symbol, and then (b) points them towards the other door near the grate.

"We need to check the other door, as that's where you say the Kimmerian Crown rolled to when that Un-dead's spell knocked me senseless."

Kondor goes to the door near the grate, slides his sword in the other door's crack as he did the first one, and hopes to open it.

ooc: There was also the village of Shankshill, where folks were recruited by that village priest. Dunwich must be another adventure hook location.
I'm thinking we should explore the other doorway before going outside. It's insanely cold out there, and we've been literally swimming in manure. We're likely drenched, and would freeze before taking a few steps.

Did Gundrabu light a torch? Kondor cannot function in the dark.

The sanctuary is in the Village of Shankshill, under the mountain of Shankshill.  
The priest of Dunwich sent Malak, Kondor, and the rest here.

1/14/2021 10:52 am  #3675

Iron Ranger wrote:

As he nears the ledge, the cleric below suddenly feels a pang in his chest where his holy symbol usually hangs, and [I assume] dismounts the slab.

As the slab finally  clears the doorway, the door - unlatched by Kondor's sword, [as I've never had a dagger on his character sheet, did he pick one up somewhere I'm forgetting?], swings open suddenly! 

A gush of backdraft air rushes into the room, immediately dousing the strange yellow dim light within, milliseconds before the cleric could see exactly what the shapes inside the space were!

My understanding is that we are plunged into darkness at the very moment in which Kondor completes raising the slab. The light extinguishes with Kondor up above, Gundrabu before the door. Gundrabu sighs and begins to light a torch. Kondor is up above, right? It seems to me that, while Gundrabu lights a torch, below, Kondor must climb back down, in the dark—unless he waits for light.

1/14/2021 10:58 am  #3676

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

My understanding is that we are plunged into darkness at the very moment in which Kondor completes raising the slab. The light extinguishes with Kondor up above, Gundrabu before the door. Gundrabu sighs and begins to light a torch. Kondor is up above, right? It seems to me that, while Gundrabu lights a torch, below, Kondor must climb back down, in the dark—unless he waits for light.

Yes, this is the situation, except the slab was only raised to just above the doorway, which opened once the slab was clear, because the latch had previously been opened.
Wind extinguished light beyond just as the Light spell ended!
Kondor is in the dark up on the ledge.
Gundrabu is on the floor rifling through his(Igrest's) pack for matches and such.

1/14/2021 12:09 pm  #3677

Did Kondor give the holy symbol back?

1/14/2021 12:40 pm  #3678

fireinthedust wrote:

Did Kondor give the holy symbol back?

The symbol's Light went dark while Kondor was still raising the slab, 
throwing the chamber into pitch black darkness again.
Kondor is still up top at the gear.

Kondor can drop the symbol down in the dark if you want

1/14/2021 1:49 pm  #3679

Kondow calls down "I think your holy symbol has run out of... whatever sorcery you use. Here, I'm dropping it down to you, at the base of the slab."

He reaches over and drops the holy symbol - not tossing or adding force, just releasing it at a mere 9.8m/s2   Unless it's made of something obviously breakable, like whale bone or narwhal tusk, which Kondor checked for before dropping it.

1/14/2021 2:28 pm  #3680

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondow calls down "I think your holy symbol has run out of... whatever sorcery you use. Here, I'm dropping it down to you, at the base of the slab."

He reaches over and drops the holy symbol - not tossing or adding force, just releasing it at a mere 9.8m/s2   Unless it's made of something obviously breakable, like whale bone or narwhal tusk, which Kondor checked for before dropping it.

Timber!!!!!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.