!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2021 3:48 pm  #3641

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

First, looks like I need to find a needle and thread! 🪡

Second, about Encumbrance, how interesting! I have 1e in PDF, and 2e in physical form (and I’m realizing I should have secured that boxed 1e before they sold out—what a different vibe that one has). I usually use the 1e books for this game, but sometimes it’s just more pleasing to sit on the couch with an actual book. In 2e, Calculated Encumbrance is the Optional choice.

“ENCUMBRANCE: This is the measure of how much weight a character can bear before his movement rate and armour class are affected. Characters bearing weight of any sort are assumed to be equipped with stowage devices such as backpacks, sacks, and the like. Common sense should be exercised, and the player must be realistic in terms of what his character possibly can carry. When, in the referee’s discretion, a character has exceeded a reasonable amount of personal gear, the referee can inform the player that his character is encumbered (−10 MV and −1 AC penalties) or even heavily encumbered (−20 MV, −2 AC).

“Calculated Encumbrance (Optional): For those players and referees who desire a more precise system, the following table is provided. The weights of all the character’s worn or carried equipage should be summed and compared with the figures in the row corresponding to the character’s strength score. If this optional method is used, it is incumbent on the player to record carefully any additions or subtractions during the course of adventure.”

Third, oh, I had to give up level training, myself, with my local Swords & Wizardry. The players just weren’t into it. But there is something simulationist about level training that really, really appeals to me in terms of the long game. For awhile, though, I have recognized that the dynamic of what you’re exploring here doesn’t exactly map onto that. It may even be because of the PbP format. Where would we find training, especially in this desolate location, in the middle of Winter? I feel like you have a survival game going on here. If we attempted to travel back to... Shankshill, was it?.. in pursuance of level training, I foresee miserable starvation and hypothermia in the depths of the wilds. 🥶

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/08/2021 5:30 pm  #3642

Eirvit wrote:

First, looks like I need to find a needle and thread! 🪡

Always good things to have on an adventure!

Eirvit wrote:

Second, about Encumbrance, how interesting! I have 1e in PDF, and 2e in physical form (and I’m realizing I should have secured that boxed 1e before they sold out—what a different vibe that one has). I usually use the 1e books for this game, but sometimes it’s just more pleasing to sit on the couch with an actual book. In 2e, Calculated Encumbrance is the Optional choice.

It's the singular charcoal works of Ian's. I know I got mine!

Eirvit wrote:

“ENCUMBRANCE: This is the measure of how much weight a character can bear before his movement rate and armour class are affected. Characters bearing weight of any sort are assumed to be equipped with stowage devices such as backpacks, sacks, and the like. Common sense should be exercised, and the player must be realistic in terms of what his character possibly can carry. When, in the referee’s discretion, a character has exceeded a reasonable amount of personal gear, the referee can inform the player that his character is encumbered (−10 MV and −1 AC penalties) or even heavily encumbered (−20 MV, −2 AC).

“Calculated Encumbrance (Optional): For those players and referees who desire a more precise system, the following table is provided. The weights of all the character’s worn or carried equipage should be summed and compared with the figures in the row corresponding to the character’s strength score. If this optional method is used, it is incumbent on the player to record carefully any additions or subtractions during the course of adventure.”

Interesting, in 1E all of that is combined. I prefer Calculated - keeps it real and gritty.

Eirvit wrote:

Third, oh, I had to give up level training, myself, with my local Swords & Wizardry. The players just weren’t into it. But there is something simulationist about level training that really, really appeals to me in terms of the long game. For awhile, though, I have recognized that the dynamic of what you’re exploring here doesn’t exactly map onto that. It may even be because of the PbP format. Where would we find training, especially in this desolate location, in the middle of Winter? I feel like you have a survival game going on here. If we attempted to travel back to... Shankshill, was it?.. in pursuance of level training, I foresee miserable starvation and hypothermia in the depths of the wilds. 🥶

Well, the travelling preacher Gundrabu might not realize how close he is to Dunwich, due NE, but Kondor does.

Shankshill is the great mountain range to the west of this village, also named Shankshill.

You'd need to go back to the first few pages of this thread to get a better sense of what all is going on here. The first adventurer, a conniving thief named Malak was sent from Dunwich and never returned. Several characters were sent after him, but perished. A third slew was sent to find the second, and that included Kondor and Igrest. Gundrabu just happened by the sanctuary from the N. There is plenty of long term politicking back in Dunwich ---But of course much much left uncovered and unknown here in these caves, back at the sancutary, and Xathoqqua knows what all else in these surrounds.

1/09/2021 1:11 pm  #3643

Kondor takes the pry bar to the door, using it on the door.

1/09/2021 1:31 pm  #3644

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor takes the pry bar to the door, using it on the door.

Kondor jams the bar into the tiny crack snapping a fragment away so that the bar's edge might fit.

But given how thick he thinks the stone is,  Kondor suspects that this strategy will take a good amount of time.

1/09/2021 2:05 pm  #3645

“Kondor, see if you can find hinges or a bar lying across struts on the far side. You can use the hammer and these spikes, perhaps, it knock away the hinges—or simply lift the bar, if that is what is obstructing us. To save time, I will go investigate the other door.”

If required for Kondor’s vision, Gundrabu will leave his holy symbol to light Kondor’s work while Gundrabu walks into the darkness by the slab. Either way, Gundrabu will go investigate the door, first pushing on it, then running his fingers across the surface and the seams, searching for latches, buttons, triggers.

1/09/2021 4:05 pm  #3646

Eirvit wrote:

“Kondor, see if you can find hinges or a bar lying across struts on the far side. You can use the hammer and these spikes, perhaps, it knock away the hinges—or simply lift the bar, if that is what is obstructing us. To save time, I will go investigate the other door.”

If required for Kondor’s vision, Gundrabu will leave his holy symbol to light Kondor’s work while Gundrabu walks into the darkness by the slab. Either way, Gundrabu will go investigate the door, first pushing on it, then running his fingers across the surface and the seams, searching for latches, buttons, triggers.

ooc: Wait, is there a door AND a slab, or are we investigating the same thing? 

1/09/2021 4:23 pm  #3647

From my notes. This occurred while Gundrabu sat in the darkness next to Kondor’s unconscious body.

“Two doorways appear, very dim yellow light oozing through each's jam. 
One is behind the Slab.
One is next to the Grate.”

Kondor is working at the Grate. Gundrabu is going to investigate the Slab.

(Outside of this rough representation, I still don’t have a good mental image. I’m still struggling with the giant screw and platform, etc. 😆)

1/09/2021 6:41 pm  #3648

I'll make another drawing. The slits in the stone wall are to the right side of the grate, above the grate is a strange metal sheet which was hoisted by Kondor, with the undermuck rope.  
Yes, the second set of slits in stone wall were behind the slab:

and here's the drawing of the slab mechanism again:

1/09/2021 6:47 pm  #3649

Granted its a crude 3d sketch.

The chamber is roughly circular. You see the fount in the center, it's flowing water down the raised chunnel. going directly to the grate (out of image) 

across, you see the screw extending floor to ceiling (not really investigated), the slab is pictured here raised almost to the slide tunnel you slide down before the drop off. Behind that gear is the narrow steps leading back up to the main chamber with the 3 tunnels.

The slab shows 3 canoes, I ' don't think there are still 3 intact on the slab, I could be wrong. The slab is almost up against the wall, close enough you'll recall that you could not shift it that direction.

1/11/2021 10:40 am  #3650

Eirvit wrote:

Leaving his holy symbol with Kondor near the grate, Gundrabu feels the sudden riptide of the Kraken's prayers from his mind. Alone and unguided, he carefully walks away from the Light across the still littered floor toward the slab. 

He approaches the opposite wall, and though Kraken's glow at his back keeps full darkness at bay, he can nonetheless see the dim yellow light seeping through identical cracks. And what looks to be 3 muck-rusted hinges and a latch - all behind the lowered slab.

1/11/2021 12:35 pm  #3651

Gundrabu shouts back to the barbarian.

“Kondor, if my deity’s sublime image does not burn to your touch, please bring it to me when you have completed your work there. This portal appears easier to manage.”

Gundrabu tries, with his own meager strength, to undo the rusted latches.

1/11/2021 4:23 pm  #3652

Eirvit wrote:

“Kondor, if my deity’s sublime image does not burn to your touch, please bring it to me when you have completed your work there. This portal appears easier to manage.”

Kondor heads over.

ooc:  So the hinges & latch are on the opposite side of the slab?

1/11/2021 4:30 pm  #3653

fireinthedust wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Kondor heads over.

Kondor arrives with the Light. He scratches his head watching the cleric trying to first reach around the slab to inspect the hinges, then finally mounting it to get a better and closer look.

1/11/2021 5:48 pm  #3654

😆

1/11/2021 7:56 pm  #3655

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Kondor heads over.

Kondor arrives with the Light. He scratches his head watching the cleric trying to first reach around the slab to inspect the hinges, then finally mounting it to get a better and closer look.

ooc:  No, he's more of a "touches his chin" kind of guy.

"Gundrabu, I think it's best we keep together on this one. Also, if the hinges are on the other side we'll need something... long and thin. If it's a latch on the other side, we'll need to lift it. Maybe... maybe my dagger or my sword?"

Kondor will try first the dagger, then if that doesn't fit he'll use his sword. In the slit, lift up under the latch to push it up.

1/11/2021 11:32 pm  #3656

The hinges are visible. The latch is visible, all on this side of the thin crack, very clearly a door.
Kondor hops up onto the slab with Gundrabu in order to lift the latch with his dagger.

It's a bit of a strange angle reaching down to the latch because the slab is so very close to the stone wall, but the barbarian manages to lift it free.

1/12/2021 9:36 am  #3657

[have more maps and drawings but the imgbb has suddenly stopped letting me attach, working on it]

1/12/2021 10:11 am  #3658

ooc:  Was there a latch on the other door at all? Or on the other side?  I'm guessing not. Did we get out of this (literal) poo-hole?!  So! Exciting!

Kondor, after undoing the latch, pulls open the door!!!

1/12/2021 10:23 am  #3659

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  Was there a latch on the other door at all? Or on the other side?  I'm guessing not. Did we get out of this (literal) poo-hole?!  So! Exciting!

Kondor, after undoing the latch, pulls open the door!!!

[ugh, what a time for the photo attachment machine to rebel against me.]

There seemed to be hinges on the other door's other side.
This door's hinges(muckrusted) and latch(open) are on your side.

But here is where I don't think I'm paiting a good picture:  The SLAB is lowered down in front of it. And the slab as you might recall is almost flush with the wall.

hinge  _ .                                        .light leak
                            .                                        .
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                                                                                    |SLAB
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
                         _  .                                        .^ latch
                           .                                        .
                         _ .                                        .

1/12/2021 11:02 am  #3660

So, to access the slab door, am I understanding that the slab must be raised? And this is the same slab as is attached to the screw?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.