!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2021 9:54 am  #3621

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

I don't see Gundrabu's 4 spikes, or Kondor's 12 spikes and hammer listed as gathered items.

1/07/2021 9:55 am  #3622

Also, Items in Igrest's overstuffed bag have yet to be divided/redistributed.

1/07/2021 9:59 am  #3623

fireinthedust wrote:

"Save your strength, Gundrabu - it is clear that we need a mountain man's strength to move this stone," Kondor braces against the seams of the door before making an attempt to push the stone.  

d100:  21!  I believe I make the extraordinary feat of strength.

In the Kraken's Light, the barbarian strains against the stone wall, his barely-recovering sinews screaming white hot since his recent near death escapade. But his grit runs deep and the stone finally pivots to and fro an inch. Kondor is convinced that the stone is hinged somehow, just from the other side. 

1/07/2021 10:01 am  #3624

Okay, my mistake. Stuff was everywhere!

“Scattered about him are:
your shield
your 4 spikes
your rations papers, empty, chewed
his rope, unravelled
his backpack, possibly torn
his pry bar
his 12 spikes
his small hammer”

Gundrabu goes back to get his own stuff from where he thoughtlessly left it scattered about where he was lying.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/07/2021 10:11 am  #3625

Ha! Stuff is still everywhere! 

Gundrabu returns to the grisly scene of Tetranna's slaying, her bones pick clean of all flesh. 
He sees the hammer and spikes on the floor, but given the capacity of Igrest's shoulder bag, immediately inspects Kondor's bag lying among the gear here.
The leather is ripped along the bag's side, without repair, it's currently useless as a tote.

1/07/2021 10:33 am  #3626

This is going to be an interesting thing to “game.” In the above list, Gundrabu’s pack is noted as “possibly torn.” Does this mean it is indeed incapable of use as a backpack?

If so, it appears we must choose what we should put in Igrest’s pack. Should I determine this based on weights and measures?

(I assume AS&SH organizes things by pounds to a pack, like most old school games. I’ve been rereading AS&SH, and this morning reached “Equipage,” which is opportune.)

1/07/2021 10:43 am  #3627

Actually since Gundrabu was the only one up and about the items lists were made as

Igrest = Igrest
your = Gundrabu
his = Kondor

1/07/2021 10:43 am  #3628

So that is Kondor's damaged bag

1/07/2021 10:45 am  #3629

Kondor wakes at your rouse, but he's too weak to even speak from his very near death experience.

Scattered about him are:
your shield
your 4 spikes
your rations papers, empty, chewed
his rope, unravelled
his pry bar
his 12 spikes
his small hammer

On him:

His winter furs
His chain mail

On you: 
Your furs, lining torn
Wooden Holy symbol, shining

near fount:

your tinderbox, spilled
his tinderbox, spilled
his hand axe
a small ring, chewed
igrest's hourglass
igrest's chalk, chewed
igrest's ink, spilled
igrest's quill, chewed

near slab, lowered
your spoon, chewed
the twisted metal tube, flattened on one end
your torches, 2
igrest's scrolls, trampled.
your crystal weapon
your flail
his bastard sword

near grate:
his rabbit's claw, slavered
your waterskin, damaged, empty
your bandages, intact
his whip
igrest's pack, empty
igrest's red gem

1/07/2021 10:52 am  #3630

So, at the fountain, Gundrabu gathers all the salvageable items into Igrest’s pack and returns with that to Kondor. He hands Kondor the barbarian’s sword and rabbit's foot.

Kept items:
your tinderbox, spilled
his tinderbox, spilled
his hand axe
a small ring, chewed
igrest's hourglass
igrest's chalk, chewed
your spoon, chewed
your torches, 2
your crystal weapon
your flail
his bastard sword
your bandages, intact
his whip
igrest's pack, empty
igrest's red gem

1/07/2021 10:53 am  #3631

Just so all the posts are easy to find.

1/07/2021 10:55 am  #3632

Iron Ranger wrote:

Actually since Gundrabu was the only one up and about the items lists were made as

Igrest = Igrest
your = Gundrabu
his = Kondor

That clears up a lot! Honestly, I have been puzzling a lot over these pronouns.

1/07/2021 11:13 am  #3633

So, a new list. I simply must have overlooked the one in question, the first time I tried to consolidate everything.

Kept items:
your tinderbox, spilled
his tinderbox, spilled
his hand axe
a small ring, chewed
igrest's hourglass
igrest's chalk, chewed
your spoon, chewed
your torches, 2
your crystal weapon
your flail
his bastard sword
your bandages, intact
his whip
igrest's pack, empty
igrest's red gen
+
your  shield
your 4 spikes
his rope, unravelled
his pry bar
his 12 spikes
his small hammer

If you have any special instructions, let me know. Otherwise I’ll calculate how much of this I can fit into a pack.

1/07/2021 11:15 am  #3634

ok, I think the puzzle here is: igrest bag, kondor's bag torn, Gundrabu's bag missing.

1/07/2021 11:24 am  #3635

So, for the current fiction, we can imagine Gundrabu, in the light of his holy image, unpacking, measuring, and repacking these items into Igrest’s pack. We’ll also determine what is held or carried.

Meanwhile, Kondor, left in the darkness, has managed to shift a stone door on its hinges. I wonder if this has revealed more light from the far side of the door, and if Kondor can perceive anything now, on the other side.

1/07/2021 11:29 am  #3636

Eirvit wrote:

So, for the current fiction, we can imagine Gundrabu, in the light of his holy image, unpacking, measuring, and repacking these items into Igrest’s pack. We’ll also determine what is held or carried.

Meanwhile, Kondor, left in the darkness, has managed to shift a stone door on its hinges. I wonder if this has revealed more light from the far side of the door, and if Kondor can perceive anything now, on the other side.

Yes,
although the Light cast on the symbol is fairly powerful, enough for Kondor to see.
the stone only shifted barely an inch to and fro, no extra light or air waft was detected.

1/08/2021 10:12 am  #3637

Rereading the rules has been interesting. (I don’t know if we ever discussed whether you’re using simplified Encumbrance or not. You’re certainly not using level training! 😀) But I now have 18 lbs. in a 2 lb. pack (that can hold 50#), for 20 lbs. on my back.

Tinderbox
Hourglass
Metal tube
Torches x2
Bandages
Red gem
Spikes x16
Rope (hemp I assume?)
Pry bar
Small hammer

On my person I would like to carry:

Chalk
Spoon of never ending gruel
Scrolls

(You mentioned that the lining of Gundrabu’s furs is torn, so if, in fact, there are no pockets for these, let me know. In this case, they are in the pack.)

Flail of the Kraken
Crystal weapon
Dagger
Shield, small
Studded leather armor

= 32 lbs.

This is total weight of 50 lbs.!

Gundrabu remains encumbered. -10 MV. -1 AC.

1/08/2021 10:13 am  #3638

His inventory completed, Gundrabu returns with his burden to Kondor and the door.

He hands over to Kondor the pry bar. “Here. Perhaps this will aid thee.”

1/08/2021 1:11 pm  #3639

Eirvit wrote:

Rereading the rules has been interesting. (I don’t know if we ever discussed whether you’re using simplified Encumbrance or not. You’re certainly not using level training! 😀) But I now have 18 lbs. in a 2 lb. pack (that can hold 50#), for 20 lbs. on my back.

Tinderbox
Hourglass
Metal tube
Torches x2
Bandages
Red gem
Spikes x16
Rope (hemp I assume?)
Pry bar
Small hammer

On my person I would like to carry:

Chalk
Spoon of never ending gruel
Scrolls

(You mentioned that the lining of Gundrabu’s furs is torn, so if, in fact, there are no pockets for these, let me know. In this case, they are in the pack.)

Flail of the Kraken
Crystal weapon
Dagger
Shield, small
Studded leather armor

= 32 lbs.

This is total weight of 50 lbs.!

Gundrabu remains encumbered. -10 MV. -1 AC.

Now we're talking!  +300XP for encumbrance session
The chalk, spoon, and parchments spill to the floor, the pockets are torn, but repairable.

1/08/2021 1:30 pm  #3640

Eirvit wrote:

Rereading the rules has been interesting. (I don’t know if we ever discussed whether you’re using simplified Encumbrance or not. You’re certainly not using level training! 😀)

I try to use the rules as written.
I am using the first edition of the rules.

I am using Encumbrance chart on pg 200. I don't know what simplified encumbrance is, is it from the 2nd edition?

As to level advancement:
I take this passage on pg. 228 literally -- as it aligns with my personal beliefs on advancement:
"As challenges are met and overcome, the PCs gain experience points, and hence the opportunity to achieve higher levels of experience."

If you place your finger in the fire, you learn the lesson of that experience right then and not two weeks later after you stumble out of the woods, return to the village, and find a wiser character to remind you of the pain...

Further to my personal beliefs on this subject, I am using the rule "No Training (optional)"  on page 229.

I think that the characters are learning and practicing their crafts and equipment and strategies all along, and reaching the requirement is the END of that training and not the beginning. That said, I DO think there is much EXTRA to be learned from seeking out more experienced and friendly characters.

Hope this clears it up.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.