!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2020 12:16 am  #1

Xathoqqua's Woe Indeed

So we finally got to play today and decided to run through "Ghost Tower of Inverness" using our slightly house-ruled version of Swords & Wizardry.  Some of the players decided to use the new glacial ice d20 as the "official" party d20 for the game.  Fairly early on, however, while in combat with a giant cobra, the party's sohei fumbled his naginata.  This allowed the cobra a free strike.  It hit and the player rolled another Xathoqqua, dying on the spot!  Just the round before, the party's cleric had used his neutralize poison scroll to save the group's ranger, who had been bitten by the same damn snake.  Later on, the ranger returned the favor by saving the cleric from death with timely first aid after his hit points had fallen to -4.  The cleric revived enough later thanks to a healing potion to briefly heal the rest of the badly wounded party with his staff of curing.  But it turned out to be for naught as a medusa surprise petrified the other three living party members.  Only the cleric got out alive....

Funny thing was that the party had also scored a lot of criticals of their own using the glacial d20, so it wasn't all bad luck for them.  And their failed petrification saves were with other dice as they had become convinced of Xathoqqua's curse by this point.  Still had fun despite the second near TPK we've had in the last several months.  None of us would ever swap this old school lethality for the likes of 5e.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

12/28/2020 7:08 am  #2

Re: Xathoqqua's Woe Indeed

Sounds like a good time! 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/31/2020 4:40 pm  #3

Re: Xathoqqua's Woe Indeed

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.