!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2020 11:07 am  #3441

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

“If my inventory is correct, Kondor, right now you are consuming the very last of the rations. By rights, it is yours, but I’m afraid if I don’t likewise eat, I shall be of no use to you. My vitality bleeds, even now, into the cosmic space between my lord’s tentacles. Without fortification, my substance dissolves within his salty waters.”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

11/25/2020 11:43 am  #3442

"What's that spoon for?" Kondor whispers.

ooc: does the spoon do something? Why is it magical? If you have a magic spoon, does it have an attack bonus? Can it hit a werewolf is what I'm wondering, among other things.

11/25/2020 12:12 pm  #3443

Gundrabu looks puzzled.

“I swear we were together. Remember how I found it on a tall window sill? Later we learned that, if we placed it into an open receptacle, the cavity instantly filled with gruel. We never need go hungry, anywhere we are. That is, as long as we have a bowl, a kettle, or—“ Gundrabu looks hopefully at Kondor’s helm— “a helmet to use with it.”

Gundrabu’s gut grumbles and, still clutching the spoon, he puts his hands sadly on his abdomen.

11/25/2020 10:45 pm  #3444

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu looks puzzled.

“I swear we were together. Remember how I found it on a tall window sill? Later we learned that, if we placed it into an open receptacle, the cavity instantly filled with gruel. We never need go hungry, anywhere we are. That is, as long as we have a bowl, a kettle, or—“ Gundrabu looks hopefully at Kondor’s helm— “a helmet to use with it.”

Gundrabu’s gut grumbles and, still clutching the spoon, he puts his hands sadly on his abdomen.

"What?!" Kondor nearly drops his mouthful of mostly-uncontaminated salt-beef. "I don't remember that at all, but I have got to see that. Here."

He doffs his helm, amazed that the inside is as poo free as it is - the magical helm perfectly fitted to his head no doubt keeping offal from his kingly brow - and holds it out to the cleric.

"Better not be now the Beast Men attack, with gruel in the crown of a Kimmerian..." he says, keeping watch on the other tunnel as Gundrabu prepares his magic.

11/26/2020 8:32 am  #3445

Gundrabu puts the spoon into the empty cavity of the helm.

11/26/2020 8:55 am  #3446

The carved ivory clinks against the upturned great helm's metal bowl and a warm, smoking gruel slowly fills it, enough for the both of you to twice eat your fill.

11/26/2020 9:52 am  #3447

Iron Ranger wrote:

The carved ivory clinks against the upturned great helm's metal bowl and a warm, smoking gruel slowly fills it, enough for the both of you to twice eat your fill.

Kondor does so, and when the helm is emptied he checks to see if the magical gruel vanishes to leave his helm clean.

He also keeps checking in case the Beast Men are on their way.

11/27/2020 3:37 am  #3448

Thankful for the warm belly, Kondor only tosses a half glare at the cleric as he wipes out most the gooey porridge remnants with his hand after they dine.

There have been no signs of the beast men since they left up the thin crude stairway next to the greased slide.

11/27/2020 10:13 am  #3449

How refreshed are the heroes feeling: enough to move on, or do we need a full night's sleep?

11/27/2020 10:17 am  #3450

fireinthedust wrote:

How refreshed are the heroes feeling: enough to move on, or do we need a full night's sleep?

Your debilitating hunger is sated, but each remain exhausted enough for a -1 on hits, damages, and movement rates. -2 on perception checks, surprise rolls, keenness abilities, etc...

11/27/2020 3:32 pm  #3451

“Well, Kondor, let us begin. I hope your thought to canoe out of here on a current materializes, for I don’t believe I have the strength for the journey back to the sanctuary. Perhaps that fountain has some vivifying properties as well, and some enemies of virtue attempted to squelch those by covering it with a cesspit.”

11/28/2020 8:16 pm  #3452

Eirvit wrote:

“Well, Kondor, let us begin. I hope your thought to canoe out of here on a current materializes, for I don’t believe I have the strength for the journey back to the sanctuary. Perhaps that fountain has some vivifying properties as well, and some enemies of virtue attempted to squelch those by covering it with a cesspit.”

"If it doesn't, we're going to need to hide and rest, dry out our gear, and slog through that darkness with beast men chasing us. I don't like our chances with that." Kondor grunts, wipes down his helm and puts it on. As soon as he's able, he lowers Gundrabu down with Tetranna's remains, to the glowing water and the boats.

11/29/2020 12:57 pm  #3453

Slowly gears grind and after several minutes, the slab reaches the bottom. The remains of the fallen beastmen are splattered in pools nearby.

[I am assuming there is a torch lit on top and a second torch lit on bottom. Correct me if needed]

11/29/2020 1:26 pm  #3454

Iron Ranger wrote:

Slowly gears grind and after several minutes, the slab reaches the bottom. The remains of the fallen beastmen are splattered in pools nearby.

[I am assuming there is a torch lit on top and a second torch lit on bottom. Correct me if needed]

[This all sounds good to me!]

Torch in hand, Gundrabu makes his way over to the fount. He inspects it within the rubescent luminance of the cresset. If all seems right, he removes a mitt and dips a forefinger into the stream. He experimentally tastes the dew that bubbles up from beneath Hyperborea’s disc.

11/29/2020 3:16 pm  #3455

The water is pure and chilled, clear as glass. The flow is soft and steady, near perfect over the lip.
Far below, the blue light almost pierces your eyes.
Its taste is clean and minerally.

11/29/2020 3:43 pm  #3456

Gundrabu drinks deeply until his thirst is slaked.

“The water is sweet, Kondor.”

11/29/2020 5:47 pm  #3457

"See if we can remove the grate, or if there's... I don't know, maybe a doorway? The boats arrived here somehow."

Kondor looks down into the room, to see if there's anything of note now that they can see thanks to the light.

11/30/2020 3:28 am  #3458

The torch below doesn't illuminate the entire space, and where it currently does, nothing new is of note.

11/30/2020 10:08 am  #3459

Gundrabu begins to make a slow circuit of the chamber, holding aloft the firelight, for Kondor’s benefit.

11/30/2020 1:57 pm  #3460

Gundrabu circles the room, taking careful steps on the still slick floor, and avoiding the detritus of the beat men altogether.  Kondor doesn't notice anything peculiar until the light hits the grate. The light doesn't illuminate beyond the bars!!!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.