!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2020 4:47 pm  #3421

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

D12- 1, baby!

Gundrabu gathers what he said he would from the raised slab, and notices in space below the clear water flows smoothly up from the center dais and over the edge flowing through the raised channel out through the grate.
The water in the dais is illuminated from below a deep blue hue.

11/18/2020 5:03 pm  #3422

“Ooh. Kondor, come see this.”

Gundrabu holds the torch ahead and to the side of him, beyond the platform high above the chasm.

“That water appears preternatural to me.”

“Hmm. I am considering catching some of that water in a flask—and trying a taste, of course. Kondor, you want to risk cranking me back down?”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

11/19/2020 3:17 pm  #3423

Kondor looks down, frowning.  "We've let two of the beast men live. They are going to return. We need to rest, and we should hide. Can you see anything with your torch that could help us escape with the boats? Some way to open the grate and sail away? We go back down, get three boats - one for Tetranna and our stuff - and float out of here. We're exhausted enough we won't last long in battle just now."

11/19/2020 7:37 pm  #3424

Gundrabu attempts to ascertain what Kondor asks. Does there appear to be an outlet through which canoes may pass? The current, I imagine, has subsided significantly.

11/20/2020 12:15 am  #3425

At this distance it is impossible for Gundrabu to discern the power behind the flow or any mechanisms on the grate, but the water is flowing from the center dais through the closed grate. Perhaps his gnawing hunger and fatigue cloud his vision?

11/20/2020 9:27 am  #3426

Gundrabu of course relays all this to Kondor.

“Well, do you want to take our chances at descending again? I expect you would crank me down; then you would have to descend by rope. I hear your race excels at climbing.”

11/21/2020 4:22 pm  #3427

Eirvit wrote:

“Well, do you want to take our chances at descending again? I expect you would crank me down; then you would have to descend by rope. I hear your race excels at climbing.”

"I'll descend by the column - but you take Tetranna down with you. We MUST work quickly, or we'll be at the mercy of the beast men. You go down, I'll stay up here and stand watch."

Can we light the lantern, or additional torches? So we're not stuck in the dark when the beast men arrive. One on the platform, one with Gundrabu, and if the Beast men are coming with a torch we'll see the light in the hallway.

11/21/2020 7:01 pm  #3428

“You want the lantern lit? A moment.”

Gundrabu rummages back through Igrest’s pack until he pulls out the vial of thick black liquid. He unstoppers it and sniffs for the familiar scent of oil.

11/21/2020 9:42 pm  #3429

The heavy black liquid smells of oxen hooves. And is identical in. Pitch to the markings  on various scrolls in his pack, gods rest his soul.

11/21/2020 9:44 pm  #3430

fireinthedust wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

"I'll descend by the column - but you take Tetranna down with you. We MUST work quickly, or we'll be at the mercy of the beast men. You go down, I'll stay up here and stand watch."”

Can we light the lantern, or additional torches? So we're not stuck in the dark when the beast men arrive. One on the platform, one with Gundrabu, and if the Beast men are coming with a torch we'll see the light in the hallway.

Kondor hoists the cadaver of Tetranna our onto the slab. “What is this black Jewel near the beast means loincloth , cleric?

Last edited by Iron Ranger (11/21/2020 9:48 pm)

11/21/2020 11:35 pm  #3431

Kondor checks the black jewel.

11/22/2020 8:30 am  #3432

“Ach! Well, Kondor, we have more torches. I had thought this vial may contain oil we might use in the lamp. Alas, instead I think it is tincture of pig hooves and brimstone.”

11/22/2020 3:46 pm  #3433

Eirvit wrote:

“Ach! Well, Kondor, we have more torches. I had thought this vial may contain oil we might use in the lamp. Alas, instead I think it is tincture of pig hooves and brimstone.”

"We'll have to make do, then. Hurry, light those torches while I put Tetranna on the slab, and I'll start lowering you down. Those Beast Men will be here in a moment, and getting out through that grate is our only chance."

ooc: maybe the pig hooves & brimstone are some kind of... sauce? Can you discern potions without tasting them?

11/22/2020 3:53 pm  #3434

Gundrabu does all that Kondor recommends.

Ooc: yes, it’s an award-winning sauce most excellent for baby back ribs. 😋 I’m not sure if there is an Identity Potion spell. Certainly one to reach for. Gundrabu doesn’t have one as of now.

11/23/2020 12:55 pm  #3435

Kondor gently puts Tetranna upon the slab, then lowers the cleric down. He moves quickly, keeping his gaze on the tunnel where the Beast Men will come from.

11/23/2020 1:50 pm  #3436

By the time Kondor carries Tetranna's corpse out the slab and wanders back to the gear, he is too weak from fatigue and hunger to turn the wheel. And Gundrabu can barely get more torches lit.

11/23/2020 3:09 pm  #3437

Iron Ranger wrote:

By the time Kondor carries Tetranna's corpse out the slab and wanders back to the gear, he is too weak from fatigue and hunger to turn the wheel. And Gundrabu can barely get more torches lit.

"I think we've over-estimated what we can do right now. Can you cast a spell of not being tired?"

11/23/2020 4:46 pm  #3438

“Well, Kondor,” says Gundrabu, waving a bone spoon in front of the barbarian, “we can eat gruel till we burst! But, having just now rummaged through all these packs, I’m aware of no receptacle able to hold it. Perhaps your helmet can be used as a kettle.”

11/24/2020 6:07 pm  #3439

Eirvit wrote:

“Well, Kondor,” says Gundrabu, waving a bone spoon in front of the barbarian, “we can eat gruel till we burst! But, having just now rummaged through all these packs, I’m aware of no receptacle able to hold it. Perhaps your helmet can be used as a kettle.”

Kondor shrugs, then takes out one of his iron rations from his "water tight ration container that I assume all rations would naturally be contained inside" and eats it, slumping down on the floor, leaning against the wall and watching the corridor for oncoming Beast Men while he rests.

"We need to prepare for an attack, because those two are coming for us. When my strength returns I'll be ready. If you can help with that, or prepare healing for yourself, good. And then we wait."

11/25/2020 3:06 am  #3440

The waxed cloth has kept most of the filth from souring the cured rawhides, but Kondor is in no condition to complain. He chews greedily while Gundrabu watches with magic spoon in hand...

[Gundrabu +500 XP for helmet bowl idea]

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.