!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2020 2:23 pm  #1

Sky ships

I've been thinking that a raid on a hyperborean sky ship would make a pretty cool higher level adventure. I'm writing this thread as a clearing house of ideas and to collect any feedback others want to share.

the basic idea is that an antagonist has found and recovered a hyperborean sky ship. This would be an immense vessel of great power that flies through the sky. Conceptually thinking like a giant galley, but the oars move as if by unseen hands.

Now the ship would be fought over by a few factions:

1)the PCs. 

2)a contingent of actual Hyperboreans, trying to re-capture or destroy her. Maybe instead of Hyperboreans, as this would be harder to justify, what about a squad of particularly commando-like Amazonians or an equivalent number of Ixians.

3)the antagonists who have repaired the ship. Thinking good old ubiquitous snakemen might be a good enemy here, but of course the Mi Go would be great too, with different Oon for the crew of the ship.

what will most likely happen is that the ship will crash into the ocean or the Spiral Mountain Array in a great orgy of destruction.

11/17/2020 8:10 pm  #2

Re: Sky ships

Sounds interesting...if you've played through Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes you could use the Amazonian skyship as the PC-piloted entree to the adventure...add in some other skyships and you can have Ace of Aces over Hyperborea!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

11/18/2020 1:35 pm  #3

I've been thinking about incorporating something like D&D's Spelljammers settings/rules. Possibly adding in the Green Diamond powered levitation/propulsion like in one of the Ghost Ship. Definitely an intriguing idea...

Last edited by BlackKnight (11/18/2020 1:36 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

11/18/2020 9:09 pm  #4

rhialto wrote:

Sounds interesting...if you've played through Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes you could use the Amazonian skyship as the PC-piloted entree to the adventure...add in some other skyships and you can have Ace of Aces over Hyperborea!

I totally forgot about Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes, I will check that out.

I'm hoping for an desperate battle high in the sky, as the ship fly over the Spiral Mountain Array, perhaps ending with the ship crashing into some sort of thematically appropriate epic dungeon.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.