!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2020 5:35 pm  #3281

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Now, meanwhile 17 (-1) vs charisma blows it.

Tetranna either can't or won't hear the barbarian's cry. And the slab continues its upward grind.

The flail is just within reach, Kondor. But the slab is almost as high as your head.

Is Kondor tired? He's very athletic, and a Kimmerian, so could grab the flail and then leap fairly high. If he's feeling exhausted, forget it, he'll just jump up and get the cleric something lighter than a flail to wield.

10/22/2020 5:39 pm  #3282

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Tetranna either can't or won't hear the barbarian's cry. And the slab continues its upward grind.

The flail is just within reach, Kondor. But the slab is almost as high as your head.

Is Kondor tired? He's very athletic, and a Kimmerian, so could grab the flail and then leap fairly high. If he's feeling exhausted, forget it, he'll just jump up and get the cleric something lighter than a flail to wield.

Both of you are Extremely tired and very hungry, much time has passed since you last slept or ate. Which was a half rest at the tick log.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/22/2020 5:47 pm)

10/22/2020 7:55 pm  #3283

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Both of you are Extremely tired and very hungry, much time has passed since you last slept or ate. Which was a half rest at the tick log.

Right. Not going to risk getting left behind in this literal dark hole filled with cold water and feces. My dice have been rolling against me for a bit recently.
Sorry, though. I don't like leaving not just gear but someone else's gear. We gotta rest fast, and figure out Tetranna, before we can go back for the flail; or maybe get you something nicer! (adding that to the priority list) 

10/22/2020 8:01 pm  #3284

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Right. Not going to risk getting left behind in this literal dark hole filled with cold water and feces. My dice have been rolling against me for a bit recently.
Sorry, though. I don't like leaving not just gear but someone else's gear. We gotta rest fast, and figure out Tetranna, before we can go back for the flail; or maybe get you something nicer! (adding that to the priority list) 

I totally get it. You are both beginning to take penalties on rolls from fatigue.  But I just want to remind both Kondor and gundrabu

“The flail. Its chain has wrapped around a small piece of bent metal on the muck covered floor.“

10/22/2020 9:16 pm  #3285

Iron Ranger wrote:

I totally get it. You are both beginning to take penalties on rolls from fatigue. But I just want to remind both Kondor and gundrabu

“The flail. Its chain has wrapped around a small piece of bent metal on the muck covered floor.“

Wait: it's wrapped around a small piece of bent metal? So not a hook on a wall or bit on the floor, but a separate piece of metal? Sounds like a key or magic codpiece, and I am so down for that.

Screw it, Kondor is GOING FOR THE FLAIL!

10/22/2020 9:18 pm  #3286

LOL!

10/22/2020 9:22 pm  #3287

Certainly Gundrabu is relieved as Kondor dashes back to the flail.

The flail's chain is wrapped around a footlong piece of bent metal, which, since covered in muck, is not a quickly recognizable shape.

10/23/2020 8:57 am  #3288

“Kondor! You can do it! If I get too high, you can toss up the flail, and I will try to hoist you up.”

Doubting that this possibly could work, Gundrabu hurriedly begins rummaging through the packs for a rope. At the same time he struggles to lift his voice above the grate and squeal of gears and chains.

“Tetranna! Hold a moment! Kondor is not yet on the platform!”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

10/24/2020 10:07 am  #3289

Kondor grabs both the flail and the bent metal (rod?) to see what it is. He intends to pass the flail up, moving the bent (rod? staff?) along with it, then jumping up.

However, he fully expects some twist of fate.

10/24/2020 10:19 am  #3290

Kondor grabs both items, the flail's chain is twisted in a knot around the small piece of metal which is a small twisted tube ( though one end has been flattened) and covered in muck. Quickly he brushes the surface revealing a dull brass. The items will need some patience to untangle.

10/24/2020 10:28 am  #3291

Meanwhile, knowing his own pack has no rope, Gundrabu turns his attention to Kondor's pack, and deep within finds a small coil of thin hemp.

10/24/2020 12:23 pm  #3292

Kondor doesn't bother to inspect them before tossing the lump up to the platform, then giving a good Barbarian leap straight up to catch hold.

10/24/2020 1:55 pm  #3293

Gundrabu prepares for Kondor to miss his leap. Gundrabu unspools the hempen rope, allowing one end to fall down to the water. The other end Gundrabu braces around a chain attached to the platform and suspended from the crank above, intending to use this arrangement as a makeshift block and tackle, since he doubts he alone has the strength to lift the barbarian. He prays to the Kraken that the hemp will not fray and break against the fulcrum.

10/24/2020 1:56 pm  #3294

Iron Ranger wrote:

Meanwhile, knowing his own pack has no rope, Gundrabu turns his attention to Kondor's pack, and deep within finds a small coil of thin hemp.

Uh oh! Does it unspool to the water? It almost sounds like this was cut at some point.

10/24/2020 11:53 pm  #3295

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Uh oh! Does it unspool to the water? It almost sounds like this was cut at some point.

No, it is wound into a small coil  about 6 inches diameter and the end is wrapped through to cinch.

10/25/2020 8:39 am  #3296

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

No, it is wound into a small coil  about 6 inches diameter and the end is wrapped through to cinch.

Okay, Gundrabu does as described in #3293.

10/25/2020 9:11 am  #3297

Ok, but just to clear. There is no chain running up to any crank above. The slab is smooth save for the metal circle bolts to which the ropes around the canoes are tied. Only the 10 Cylinder screw extends upward and it does seem to be attached to the slab at all.

Gundrabu ties the hemp rope to one of the the empty bolts from the freed canoe(currently crashed onto the slab)?

10/25/2020 9:19 am  #3298

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor doesn't bother to inspect them before tossing the lump up to the platform, then giving a good Barbarian leap straight up to catch hold.

The barbarian leap is described as a horizontal feat of greatness but Kondor proves a cut above and launches himself from the muck high enough to reach his calloused hands up for a firm grip on the rising slab - just as the cleric drops a strand of rope over the side.  

The slab pivots slightly from the force causing the center hole to drag against the the cylinder screw, the screech of deafening metal on metal piercing their ears.

But the slab continues its slow grind upward as the barbarian dangles. 

10/25/2020 10:14 am  #3299

Gundrabu reaches out an arm to assist his companion, warning, “Don’t pull me over now, barbarian.”

10/25/2020 11:17 am  #3300

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu reaches out an arm to assist his companion, warning, “Don’t pull me over now, barbarian.”

"Never fear, Gundrabu, I've got this." And with that Kondor hoists himself up onto the platform.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.