!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/07/2019 7:57 am  #1

Fantasy Grounds and ASSH?

I've played ASSH in Roll20, but has anyone started working on or trying to start ASSH in Fantasy grounds? It looks to be a better system (and cheaper). 

Maybe also a question for Jeff & Co, Has there been any consideration to "license" out ASSH into Roll20/FantasyGrounds/Other online tabletop sites/apps?

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

10/07/2019 9:31 am  #2

Re: Fantasy Grounds and ASSH?

I read the fine print on their contract about two years ago and, lacking a high-priced legal team, found too many questionable clauses regarding my rights of ownership to my own intellectual property. That being said, since that time, I've known other publishers who have yet to have issues with them, so perhaps at some point I'll look at it again. They seem to be "trending" right now, solely due to their internal piecharts making their way across social media. These show percentages of gamers using their system, leading folks to mistakenly assume that this is representative of the tabletop hobby as a whole. Anyway, I'm happy to take a look at it again, but if I locate language that surrenders my rights to my own property, I'll probably continue to avoid it. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/07/2019 11:01 am  #3

I kind of figured it was something like that. 

If not building the core book(s) and modules into the "Fantasy Grounds" content, do you think there is an issue with North Wind Adventures Content being created so users could use the base system in their interface (character sheets, basic content, basic rules).

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

10/08/2019 6:59 am  #4

Ghul wrote:

They seem to be "trending" right now, solely due to their internal piecharts making their way across social media. These show percentages of gamers using their system, leading folks to mistakenly assume that this is representative of the tabletop hobby as a whole.

I think more than anything, they are cheaper than Roll20 (by Half in most instances), they have a bunch more integration to the content than Roll20, and the app is run locally, allowing a DM to have near unlimited custom content available to him, unlike roll20 which is 100% cloud-based and you upload your content to them, and they the limit space, and the size of files.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage

1/01/2020 2:33 pm  #5

Would be interested to see AS&SH eventually ported into FG. I know that there are many fan-made ruleset creations, which are shared for free, but nothing AS&SH related so far.

1/01/2020 5:17 pm  #6

Holy_Rage wrote:

Would be interested to see AS&SH eventually ported into FG. I know that there are many fan-made ruleset creations, which are shared for free, but nothing AS&SH related so far.

I know from an official point of view, there, are contract considerations that come into the picture, as Jeff mentioned.  For the in official, I'd live to see at the least the character sheet and character building go in, even if unofficial, as that would increase ASSH visibility.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage

10/16/2020 7:07 pm  #7

I've DM at least 30 games with Fantasy Grounds and I love it so much. Spent a lot of money buying D&D 5e stuff and I'm still having a blast with my friends across Canada... specially during this pandemic! I recently learned about the MoreCore ruleset that add a lot to the Core Set of Fantasy Grounds. Since I have basicaly everything with an AS&SH label on it, I'll try and code it on FG. It's gonna be a long process... but if somebody already work on that, maybe we could exchange notes!

10/18/2020 6:00 pm  #8

It's not Fantasy Grounds, but Foundry/Forge VTT may be partially available to ASSH soon,

I'm in a game with a longtime ASSH loving GM. He's working on the ASSH character sheet for Foundry/Forge VTT. Based on the BX character that's already out there. He's only adding/deleting/modifying fields from the BX sheet to work within ASSH's ruleset, not setting up any automation, nor anything that would allow someone to create characters without having the ASSH book (preserving all of Jeff's IP).
Ex, you can choose to be any class, it's not a dropdown but a text field you enter. Then, as far as abilities, nothing is generated automatically, you have to hand enter the abilities (Ex choose a ranger and you then have to enter all of the abilities individually on the ability section(s), Spell users also have to hand enter all of their spells, nothing is in a table, etc).
He's still working on it but once he's close to complete, he wants me to arrange a session so that Jeff can come into the game and see the character sheet and make sure it meets with his approval before it's "published" to the Foundry/Forge VTT forums as a usable sheet (Again only with Jeff's OK). He wants to make sure that Jeff is ok with it, and that it preserves that any player using it, really needs to have a copy of at least the player's book so they can create the character and put in all of the abilities, etc.

Last edited by BlackKnight (10/18/2020 6:01 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage

10/18/2020 6:13 pm  #9

Mortificateur wrote:

I've DM at least 30 games with Fantasy Grounds and I love it so much. Spent a lot of money buying D&D 5e stuff and I'm still having a blast with my friends across Canada... specially during this pandemic! I recently learned about the MoreCore ruleset that add a lot to the Core Set of Fantasy Grounds. Since I have basicaly everything with an AS&SH label on it, I'll try and code it on FG. It's gonna be a long process... but if somebody already work on that, maybe we could exchange notes!

I've heard great things about FG. I hope this works out!

BlackKnight wrote:

It's not Fantasy Grounds, but Foundry/Forge VTT may be partially available to ASSH soon,

The more the merrier. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/18/2020 6:49 pm  #10

Well! That's awesome! I'll work my way on Fantasy Grounds. I learned a lot DMing with the software for the past months... And I have a lot of work to do still but please keep me posted on your progress!

It's gonna be a long process, but I'll get there.

I'll check out your work if you give me a link on what you guys do!

Skal!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.