!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2020 11:13 am  #3201

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

“Have you found a way out, Barbarian?”

Gundrabu rests on his oar and watches Kondor strain at the rope.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

9/30/2020 1:22 pm  #3202

d6:  5!  Wow, if only this was damage rolls.

9/30/2020 1:40 pm  #3203

fireinthedust wrote:

d6:  5!  Wow, if only this was damage rolls.

Kondor shrugs off the cleric's barb and pulls with all his might. His sinews flex and strain under the surface and the rope whines undermuck from the stress until finally, there is a loud metal unlatching sound and BANG of a ratchet!

Then suddenly -  a tremendous  undertow pulls the Barbarian's legs out from underneath him!

Gundrabu feels the pull from inside the canoe, as he sees the strange metalwork rise on the wall and Kondor disappear beneath the surface!!!

Gundrabu roll DEX feat!
Kondor roll DEX feat!

9/30/2020 11:24 pm  #3204

d100- 57

Nope!

9/30/2020 11:34 pm  #3205

Eirvit wrote:

d100- 57

Nope!

The canoe tosses from the strong suction!

Choose to hold onto the canoe, the oar, the lamp, or Kondor's backpack!

10/01/2020 12:37 pm  #3206

d% 10!

10/01/2020 6:28 pm  #3207

fireinthedust wrote:

d% 10!

Kondor manages to twist himself around undermuck and strokes hard against the powerful current which pulls him toward the cave wall with the affixed strange-metalsheet.

Strength test!
Constitution test!

10/01/2020 7:59 pm  #3208

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

d% 10!

Kondor manages to twist himself around undermuck and strokes hard against the powerful current which pulls him toward the cave wall with the affixed strange-metalsheet.

Strength test!
Constitution test!

Strength: 6
Constitution: 3

10/01/2020 9:12 pm  #3209

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

d% 10!

Strength test!
Constitution test!

Strength: 6
Constitution: 3

Kondor struggles with all his might against the undertow, but he just cannot fight the current -  he slams against a grate under the surface of the muck! The rush of the flushing muck holds him steadfast!
Luckily he manages to hold his breath just a moment longer!!!

10/02/2020 1:37 pm  #3210

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

d100- 57

Nope!

The canoe tosses from the strong suction!

Choose to hold onto the canoe, the oar, the lamp, or Kondor's backpack!

Gundrabu retains hold of the lamp.

Hopefully the undertow seizes the canoe and slams it against the metal sheet beneath which Kondor is lodged. If so, Gundrabu will center his weight in the canoe while reaching an arm out to give the barbarian what little aid Gundrabu can.

10/02/2020 1:44 pm  #3211

The cleric secures the lamp as the canoe tips, the oar splashing away out of reach. He fights to keep his balance in the teetering canoe! The canoe turns around and glides near but away from Kondor's section of the wall, and along the circular cave the other direction.

10/02/2020 7:35 pm  #3212

Iron Ranger wrote:

The cleric secures the lamp as the canoe tips, the oar splashing away out of reach. He fights to keep his balance in the teetering canoe! The canoe turns around and glides near but away from Kondor's section of the wall, and along the circular cave the other direction.

So that’ll be a “no” on lending you a hand, Kondor. 😀

“So long, friend!”

10/02/2020 7:52 pm  #3213

Gundrabu floats away. As he rounds the bend, he sees the bottoms of the 3 remaining canoes protruding from the muck in his lamplight. He's heading straight for them!!!

And Kondor has not resurfaced!!!

Kondor make another CON test roll! 

10/03/2020 8:41 am  #3214

Iron Ranger wrote:

Gundrabu floats away. As he rounds the bend, he sees the bottoms of the 3 remaining canoes protruding from the muck in his lamplight. He's heading straight for them!!!! 

Gundrabu attempts to check his passage by seizing onto an overturned canoe. He’s in the process of furiously scheming how he might get a paddle from inside of one.

He realizes that the canoes are partially submerged, that his canoe is in a current, that the canoes are tied down, and that Gundrabu lacks a knife. A puzzle indeed!

10/03/2020 12:09 pm  #3215

Iron Ranger wrote:

Gundrabu floats away. As he rounds the bend, he sees the bottoms of the 3 remaining canoes protruding from the muck in his lamplight. He's heading straight for them!!!

And Kondor has not resurfaced!!!

Kondor make another CON test roll! 

d6: 3!

Kondor attempts to push against the flow of muck, hoping to get his legs under him to get his head above the surface.

10/03/2020 12:11 pm  #3216

The flow has Kondor pinned against the grate in the wall, but he manages to stick his head above the surface and BREATHE!

There is suddenly a freezing sensation in the muck!

10/03/2020 4:57 pm  #3217

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Gundrabu floats away. As he rounds the bend, he sees the bottoms of the 3 remaining canoes protruding from the muck in his lamplight. He's heading straight for them!!!! 

Gundrabu attempts to check his passage by seizing onto an overturned canoe. He’s in the process of furiously scheming how he might get a paddle from inside of one.

He realizes that the canoes are partially submerged, that his canoe is in a current, that the canoes are tied down, and that Gundrabu lacks a knife. A puzzle indeed!

The Kraken and I eagerly munch on our popcorn.....

10/04/2020 11:44 am  #3218

Let’s try this:

My own notes have this for possessions on my person:

Flail, horseman’s 1d6 (3)
Dagger +2, poison, detachable hollow handle with empty vial (1)
Shield, small (5) 1/1
Studded (20), light, 40 MV

I don’t recall losing the dagger, only the packs. It is possible that I threw it away (during an encounter in the forest?). But, if so, I didn’t make a note of it. Please correct me if I am in error.

Gundrabu will try to grab hold of a submerged canoe, prop the lantern between his knees, lean over with his dagger to the ropes and try to tear them by repeatedly spearing at the fibers. (For me, a Dagger is a pointy bit of metal, not necessarily an edged length of steel, but if I can “cut” with a Dagger, I will do that.)

10/04/2020 2:28 pm  #3219

Kondor does his best to keep breathing, and fighting the current to get to safety. If the cold is from outside, the drenched pair are doomed!

10/06/2020 6:55 pm  #3220

Eirvit wrote:

Let’s try this:

My own notes have this for possessions on my person:

Flail, horseman’s 1d6 (3)
Dagger +2, poison, detachable hollow handle with empty vial (1)
Shield, small (5) 1/1
Studded (20), light, 40 MV

I don’t recall losing the dagger, only the packs. It is possible that I threw it away (during an encounter in the forest?). But, if so, I didn’t make a note of it. Please correct me if I am in error.

Gundrabu will try to grab hold of a submerged canoe, prop the lantern between his knees, lean over with his dagger to the ropes and try to tear them by repeatedly spearing at the fibers. (For me, a Dagger is a pointy bit of metal, not necessarily an edged length of steel, but if I can “cut” with a Dagger, I will do that.)

I believe your list is correct.

Gundrabu gets set!
The careening canoe barrels into the canoes, more exposed by the second.
Gundrabu roll a d6 dex test to try and grab one of the those ropes and not fall out of the canoe!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.