!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2020 7:33 pm  #3161

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

It's easy to do.

Gundrabu surfaces, spitting the vile filth from his lips. The surface edge of the upper shaft is aflame, and a clear liquid drips fire down to the muck below. It provides minimal light, but enough to discern he is holding the lost lantern.

[Gundrabu add 250 XP]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (9/15/2020 7:34 pm)

9/16/2020 12:11 pm  #3162

d6:  2!

Do I roll % for a feat of dexterity?

9/16/2020 12:47 pm  #3163

fireinthedust wrote:

d6:  2!

Do I roll % for a feat of dexterity?

no, a test of Dexterity is d6
an extraordinary feat of dexterity is %.

9/16/2020 12:47 pm  #3164

And 2 is good enough for Kondor to sense the magnitude of the flame and lie down on the slab under the muckline just in time!

9/16/2020 11:08 pm  #3165

After the flame rolls by, Gundrabu actually hopes some of it remains burning on the platform or falls in cinders from above. He will crawl onto the platform, catch up some of it, and try to relight the oil in the lamp.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

9/17/2020 10:08 am  #3166

Eirvit wrote:

After the flame rolls by, Gundrabu actually hopes some of it remains burning on the platform or falls in cinders from above. He will crawl onto the platform, catch up some of it, and try to relight the oil in the lamp.

I assume you mean the submerged Slab, the only thing exposed to fire there was the metal cylinder screw, which is not on fire.

The only fire remnants are up on the lip of the upper shaft from which you and Kondor slid down and fell here. The edge is slightly flaming. It looks like something is burning and dripping down next to the cave wall. However this light is faint so it is very difficult to see exactly. Also it is dripping into the muck 10 feet away from the slab.

9/17/2020 3:14 pm  #3167

Kondor surfaces, looking around.

"Gundrabu, is there any sign of my sword and whip? Or of the other backpack? Keep your wits about you, for I suspect there is an enemy still about."

ooc:  Is the screw all the way up past where we can reach? I was thinking Kondor could use his hatchet in the top (assuming it's got a slit at the top like a flathead screw) and twist it to see if it would come loose.

Thing is, if the slab is so wide that it can't turn next to the wall here, we can't interact with the screw unless we're at the top and it can come unfastened with twisting. We'll either need to climb back up the shaft or we'll need a secondary exit from the area.

Is there another opening to this area? I'm assuming we can see a bit bc the flames above give off even some light.

9/17/2020 3:20 pm  #3168

The metal cylinder screw extends all the way to the cave's domed ceiling 60 ' up.  
There is a metal gear attached to it up near the upper shaft. 20' up.

All you can see is
the shadowy domed ceiling,
the cylinder screw and attached gear
Some strange metalwork on the opposite wall.
The burning substance on the edge of the upper shaft.
each other.
& the filthy lantern.

9/18/2020 2:13 pm  #3169

Strange metalwork you say?!

Kondor gets a closer look!

9/20/2020 10:48 am  #3170

Having forgotten that the platform actually is submerged, Gundrabu can’t determine any way to light his disgusting lantern.

Gundrabu slops back aboard the platform, clutching the lantern and hoping for another (less explosive) blast from Kondor’s head, prepared to catch a bit of flame.

9/21/2020 9:23 am  #3171

Kondor wades across the muck, at times only his face sticking out of the deep filth.

[Kondor roll d6]

9/21/2020 9:26 am  #3172

Gundrabu climbs atop the submerged slab and stands up out of the muck, a careful inspection shows the lamp retains a good deal of oil yet. 

Seeing that Kondor is occupied he doubts any more fireballs are flying soon and instead concentrates on whether he might catch the falling drops of fire from above just off the far edge of the slab.

9/21/2020 5:21 pm  #3173

d6: 5  (not the d6 I wanted to roll, but I've just moved and can't find it right now so this is what I got)

9/21/2020 5:28 pm  #3174

Okay, I’ve gone through a few entries with a bit of care, trying to get my best sense of what is happening here.

1. Gundrabu will tie the lantern securely to his belt by the (I imagine it is there) lantern’s brass handle. Gundrabu hopes in this way to keep the lantern secure despite the uncertain darkness and the rocking platform.

2. I couldn’t find confirmation that the canoes were tied openings-down (I have a sense they were). But either way...

3. I know Kondor cut loose a canoe (maybe more). My broken memory suggests to me that Gundrabu might even have been in one?

4. If any canoes are left, Gundrabu will cut one loose, empty it out on the slab, and search the interior for paddles, focusing particularly on the inner rims of the gunwales and under the seats.

5. If he finds one, he will paddle out to the falling flame to try to catch it in his lantern.

6. If there are no paddles, he will enter a canoe anyway and try to “push off,” with one foot as he enters, in a gentle glide to rendezvous with the dripping flame to light the lantern.

7. If all the canoes have been cut loose, Gundrabu will get on hands and knees and carefully crawl around the exterior of the rocking slab, reaching out into the darkness, hoping to grasp a gunwale.

9/22/2020 9:44 pm  #3175

Eirvit wrote:

Okay, I’ve gone through a few entries with a bit of care, trying to get my best sense of what is happening here.

Fantastic! Gundrabu +250 XP!

Eirvit wrote:

1. Gundrabu will tie the lantern securely to his belt by the (I imagine it is there) lantern’s brass handle. Gundrabu hopes in this way to keep the lantern secure despite the uncertain darkness and the rocking platform.

Yes! Smart! Gundrabu + another 250 XP!

Eirvit wrote:

2. I couldn’t find confirmation that the canoes were tied openings-down (I have a sense they were). But either way...

They were.  From #3132: "Kondor feels around the object in the dark. He quickly ascertains that it is a one man canoe carved from hard wood flipped upside down. There is an oar strapped inside. Easily he flips it over and removes his pack from his back and places it inside the canoe."

Eirvit wrote:

3. I know Kondor cut loose a canoe (maybe more). My broken memory suggests to me that Gundrabu might even have been in one?

Inside one? No, but he caught the first one cut in the chest as it tried to float away.  See #3130.
or perhaps this memory came from the Barbarian's lips?..... maybe see #2649?.....

Eirvit wrote:

4. If any canoes are left, Gundrabu will cut one loose, empty it out on the slab, and search the interior for paddles, focusing particularly on the inner rims of the gunwales and under the seats.

There are 4 canoes. One is floating next to you, its single oar strapped inside. See #3132. The other three located on the surmerged slab remain tied down (upside down).

Eirvit wrote:

5. If he finds one, he will paddle out to the falling flame to try to catch it in his lantern.

Excellent! Gundrabu + another 1500 XP!

Eirvit wrote:

6. If there are no paddles, he will enter a canoe anyway and try to “push off,” with one foot as he enters, in a gentle glide to rendezvous with the dripping flame to light the lantern.

Great idea, but unnecessary.

Eirvit wrote:

7. If all the canoes have been cut loose, Gundrabu will get on hands and knees and carefully crawl around the exterior of the rocking slab, reaching out into the darkness, hoping to grasp a gunwale.

See above, one loose, three tied. But here's the thing. Let me again try to explain this.  The slab is 3 feet under the surface of the muck which hides the canoes. So you can stand on the slab and be up to your waist in muck. To crawl around on it, you are undermuck.  This doesn't seem to be clear. If you were looking down on this you would not see the slab or the canoes. just the 10 inch diameter cylinder screw rising from the muck.

Also, it's not a rocking slab. it's really solid, You and the barbarian were able only to lift it on one side from underneath 10 degrees before it met resistance. you are unable to move it at all standing atop it.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (9/23/2020 7:55 am)

9/23/2020 1:22 pm  #3176

fireinthedust wrote:

d6: 5  (not the d6 I wanted to roll, but I've just moved and can't find it right now so this is what I got)

Kondor moves to the metal surface to look it over, alert for the threat he is certain is coming their way. He also hopes at some point to feel the hilt of his lost sword, or the rope-like weight of the whip on the floor of the room.

"A metal surface, Gundrabu! Something like the platform and the screw-like pillar, no doubt. Maybe a doorway? If the boats are free, this may be our way out!"

9/23/2020 5:33 pm  #3177

Thanks for all the xp, Ref! I’m very close to Level 4!

If Gundrabu has not managed to light the lantern yet (by rowing out and catching dripping flame), he will attempt to do so.

And if successful, he’ll gather Kondor into his canoe and follow this “way out.”

9/24/2020 9:03 am  #3178

fireinthedust wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor moves to the metal surface to look it over, alert for the threat he is certain is coming their way. He also hopes at some point to feel the hilt of his lost sword, or the rope-like weight of the whip on the floor of the room.

"A metal surface, Gundrabu! Something like the platform and the screw-like pillar, no doubt. Maybe a doorway? If the boats are free, this may be our way out!"

Kondor moves carefully, inching ever closer to the other side of the cave. At this distant the feeble light from the burning lip of the upper shaft grows very feeble, but it looks to the barbarian's keen eyesight that there seems to be some type of metal sheeting affixed to the cave's wall ahead.

With sure footing a fraction shallower than the pool's center he fans out his limbs searching for his lost items. Suddenly something ropey tangles his left leg!

[Kondor Roll d6.]

9/24/2020 9:11 am  #3179

Eirvit wrote:

Thanks for all the xp, Ref! I’m very close to Level 4!

Will be huge for the cleric, new FA, TA, and CA!

Eirvit wrote:

If Gundrabu has not managed to light the lantern yet (by rowing out and catching dripping flame), he will attempt to do so.

And if successful, he’ll gather Kondor into his canoe and follow this “way out.”

The esquimeaux boards the upturned, one man canoe. With Kondor's loose pack inside it's a tight fit. There's no way they both will fit. And Gundrabu realizes that they will need to cut free one of the remaining submerged canoes.

He unties the oar and paddles slowly toward the dripping flames...

[What is the plan to capture these flames?]

9/24/2020 12:23 pm  #3180

Gundrabu steers the canoe directly under the dripping flame. Once under it, he puts the oar down inside the boat (letting the canoe drift), then unscrews the shade of the lantern to try to catch the flame within it, right where the wick runs under the protective cap to the oil underneath.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.