!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2020 3:09 pm  #3061

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor continues moving left along the vertical wall, his fingers and boots somehow finding the smallest of holds in the pitch black darkness!

oodm:  Impossible to tell in the dark. Gundrabu's splashings of the muck destroy distance hearing. and the wall seems to just go on and on.

8/12/2020 5:10 pm  #3062

Kondor's muscles tremble.

8/12/2020 5:57 pm  #3063

Has Kondor in any way climbed a curved on the surface? Or has it been flat the whole way?

8/12/2020 6:34 pm  #3064

He cannot tell. He is disoriented in the darkness for so long.
He has not reached a plumb corner, that much he knows.

8/13/2020 1:55 pm  #3065

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor will climb down to the muck and try to hold on to the wall So he doesn’t sink.

“Gundrabu, what is the splashing? We need to find a way out before the beast men discover us.”

8/13/2020 9:51 pm  #3066

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor will climb down to the muck and try to hold on to the wall So he doesn’t sink.

“Gundrabu, what is the splashing? We need to find a way out before the beast men discover us.”

He easily does just that as a fourth horn blast sounds, even nearer.

8/14/2020 9:29 am  #3067

“Hist! I do not climb as easy as thou, brother Kondor. Bring near your might. I have discovered a contrivance beneath the midden, but I fail to move any part of it.“

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

8/14/2020 10:13 am  #3068

“Show me, quick!”  Kondor follows and helps.

8/14/2020 10:17 am  #3069

Gundrabu's voice now comes from Kondor's left!

Gundrabu treads sewage while holding on to the slab 3 ft below?

Will Kondor climb along the wall or drop fully into the muck?

8/14/2020 4:43 pm  #3070

He's re-entering the muck to rest his muscles, and moving towards Gundrabu to help him with whatever needs mighty-thewed strength.

8/14/2020 6:58 pm  #3071

Iron Ranger wrote:

Correct!

8/14/2020 8:14 pm  #3072

fireinthedust wrote:

He's re-entering the muck to rest his muscles, and moving towards Gundrabu to help him with whatever needs mighty-thewed strength.

Kondor walks left toward the voice of Gundrabu on his tiptoes, his face out of the muck, his sinews throbbing from overuse. But within 5 ft. he slams into something solid about 3 ft under the surface!!

8/14/2020 8:15 pm  #3073

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Correct!

Gotcha!

8/15/2020 5:09 pm  #3074

“I hit something. Is this what you want me to lift?”

8/16/2020 9:32 am  #3075

fireinthedust wrote:

“Yes, please do so, my friend, though I suspect you can’t do so from the edge. In its center is a knob of some kind. I suspect it’s a screw holding the lid tight to the ground. I am unable to loose it.”

Last edited by Eirvit (8/16/2020 9:32 am)

8/16/2020 11:41 am  #3076

Eirvit wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

“Yes, please do so, my friend, though I suspect you can’t do so from the edge. In its center is a knob of some kind. I suspect it’s a screw holding the lid tight to the ground. I am unable to loose it.”

"I'll do my best. Emral once told me about screws - lefty loosey, righty tighty - but we might need something to get a better grip. A barbarian's hands are like Iron, though, so I'll try. See if you've your tent pitons, as I may be able to use them if this doesn't work."

ooc:  Rolling Strength.  
d6: 1!

8/16/2020 12:01 pm  #3077

Will Kondor venture out across the top of the submerged 12 inch thick slab or underneath the slab?

8/16/2020 1:48 pm  #3078

First he’s feeling around it to see where he can grip the knob, then powering through the process to move it. Submerging is not ideal, so he’s starting at the top.

8/16/2020 1:55 pm  #3079

The 12 inch thick slab is submerged about 3 ft under the surface. It is smooth and reaching out across its surface in all driections does not yield the "screw" mentioned by Kondor's companion, (nor the other edge).

Last edited by Iron Ranger (8/16/2020 1:56 pm)

8/17/2020 6:46 pm  #3080

Kondor will take a breath - his Kimmerian constitution and barbarian willpower pushing through the stench, refusing to yield to it his success in the feat before him - and submerge to get a grip upon the bottom of the slab. He feels under the slab for seams, for handholds, then sets his feet and heaves against the slab, lifting and pushing it with the force needed to move it aside - for Kondor is a man born upon the steppes, solid as though he had been birthed from the bosom of the mountains themselves, as the giants of ancient legend were born, who tore trees up by the roots and set rings of menhirs about the land to mark the passage of the Sun and Stars. What is this slab to the son of the mountain, or to the blood of giant kin?!

ooc: can I still use that last roll for this? 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.