!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2020 8:46 pm  #1

Treasure of Atlantis Remains Lost

Well, our group attempted the Lost Treasure of Atlantis today.  Didn't turn out so well for them.  They had actually been a bit concerned when they lost 2 of their party members in "Beneath the Comet," particularly since one of them was their shaman and thus the party's only healer.  But they decided to push on with the surviving 4 members, in part because their Pictish scout had picked up a pet sabre toothed tiger, which they figured could be handy in a fight.  Not so much, as things developed.  Those damn mi-go pistols were devastating, disintegrating the scout and the party leader, Hawkwind the Huntsman.  And it wasn't like I had the mi-go constantly using the pistols; they also fought with other weapons.  But the dice gods were not kind today.  Then, the badly wounded berserker ended up giant crab bait.  The group's lone survivor, Drago the Pyromancer, escaped by disintegrating the crab with one of the pistols and flying off to safety using his belt of flying.

Funny thing is that I was planning on doing a cross-over campaign where the AS&SH party joined forces with our Labyrinth Lord party for a series of adventures that I wrote.  That party has just 4 of its original 8 members, but picked up a couple NPC henchmen along the way.  So now I'll probably just find a way to get the pyromancer to them for their upcoming foray into Tegel Manor, which will likely claim at least 1 PC....At least they realize that they're earning these levels.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

7/15/2020 6:25 am  #2

Re: Treasure of Atlantis Remains Lost

Hyperborea is a cruel world...

7/16/2020 6:53 am  #3

Oh man, Spider of Leng! Sounds pretty gnarly. How did they make their approach into the complex? All of my least successful parties went through the "front door" at the top.

Also, did the town come into play at all?

In any case, thanks for running it and for posting the recap. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/16/2020 11:07 pm  #4

Yep, right through Area A-1 and downhill from there.  Not having their shaman, who died in the last adventure, was huge, as they had no healing magic.  And though their pyromancer was tough and in fact, the only survivor, he couldn't save the others.  They actually didn't do much in the town as they were eager to get to the island.  And this particular group tends to just bull ahead, which had been a decent strategy until the last two adventures.  Still fun, but off to Tegel Manor next.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

7/25/2020 8:40 pm  #5

Spider of Leng wrote:

Yep, right through Area A-1 and downhill from there.  Not having their shaman, who died in the last adventure, was huge, as they had no healing magic.  And though their pyromancer was tough and in fact, the only survivor, he couldn't save the others.  They actually didn't do much in the town as they were eager to get to the island.  And this particular group tends to just bull ahead, which had been a decent strategy until the last two adventures.

Oof, yeah...

I intentionally made the "direct assault" via A-1 the most difficult Black Crystal Lair (BCL) entry route. You really have to be a strong, lucky party to attack the mi-go and lightning oon defenders head-on. Disintegration and electrocution gets gnarly. My more successful convention parties usually found their way to the BCL via the more stealthy A-21 or B-5, though a few of the larger ones (8+ players) bulled through A-1 because they were big enough to aborb the almost inevitable losses. Smaller parties that bulled through A-1 got hurt bad, usually TPK or running away, if I recall correctly (it has been a couple of years). 

Too bad on the town! I love village hijinks and tried to facilitate much hilarity. :-)

Spider of Leng wrote:

Still fun, but off to Tegel Manor next.

Sounds great! I have always wanted to play that one. Someday, someday.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.