!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2018 11:06 pm  #1

Quick question about Roll20 and AS&SH

Is anyone playing there and if so where do you set up games as there is game specific search function?  I looked under AD&D ED and 2nd and also under OD&D.

How hard would it be to get name specific search on Roll20?  

2/07/2018 11:21 pm  #2

Re: Quick question about Roll20 and AS&SH

I'm in a roll20 game and I'm setting up to run my own -- no date yet to start, though.

Unfortunately, AS&SH isn't one of their searchable games yet, understandable since the game has only been out a few years. I rather wish they would separate the AD&D Oe/1e and Second Edition categories.

Edited because games apparently default to private now.

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (2/07/2018 11:32 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

2/08/2018 9:38 am  #3

Roll20 generally works on what's popular. If enough of us go and tell them we want to be in the list of searchable games the more likely it is to happen. 

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

2/08/2018 4:17 pm  #4

For what it's worth there is an AS&SH character sheet available for roll20.

What? Me worry?

2/09/2018 10:54 am  #5

Hey Kradonus, I'm running an AS&SH game on Roll20 (Jimm's playing in it) and created the character sheet gizmo mentioned (see sig, it still needs work but it's functional enough that I forget about the things that need fixing when playing).

When I setup the LFG listing I listed it under AD&D 1e and 2e (agree with Jim, those should be separate categories) and "Other Games", and then listed the name of the game as AS&SH.  That's about the best you can do on making it searchable for now, until they list AS&SH as it's own game.

I'd love to see this game become more popular on Roll20.  If anyone is in need of any resources for running it, talk to me.  I've created a lot of handouts and macros and other stuff in game that helps me run it easily and I'd be happy to share any of that.

2/09/2018 1:06 pm  #6

A lot of folks (not nec. for AS&SH, but in general) run the games through G+ Hangouts and use Roll20 for the visual functions. So you might want to check the AS&SH Community on G+ if you're looking for a game.

6/10/2020 10:32 am  #7

Thanks for creating the AS&SH character sheet on Roll20!  I'm gearing up to host my first game on the platform.  Have you developed a macro yet for automatically tracking encumbrance?  If you don't mind, what macros have you developed that you have found most helpful?

under_score wrote:

Hey Kradonus, I'm running an AS&SH game on Roll20 (Jimm's playing in it) and created the character sheet gizmo mentioned (see sig, it still needs work but it's functional enough that I forget about the things that need fixing when playing).

When I setup the LFG listing I listed it under AD&D 1e and 2e (agree with Jim, those should be separate categories) and "Other Games", and then listed the name of the game as AS&SH.  That's about the best you can do on making it searchable for now, until they list AS&SH as it's own game.

I'd love to see this game become more popular on Roll20.  If anyone is in need of any resources for running it, talk to me.  I've created a lot of handouts and macros and other stuff in game that helps me run it easily and I'd be happy to share any of that.

7/05/2020 9:01 pm  #8

I'm current;y in 2 ASSH games on Roll20. One on Monday 8 EST, and one on Thursday 8 EST. Roll20 has some ASSH Character sheets with a great design, and the rolling system is good. Provided you put any maps you want to use the system via editing and scanning, the outcome can be great for gaming. Roll20 works great for Theater of the mind without Issue, Maps with Grids are what makes it a little fidgety.
We only use Roll20 for Visual and rolling Aid, All audio is done with Discord (which now allows Video if you so choose to use, Dice bots can also be added in Discord)

Overall, It all depends on your players. If they focus on playing, you can get a lot accomplished. However, if its a group that have all been friends for years, and they spend much of their time giving each other crap, the game will suffer and you won't get a lot in. 

Last edited by BlackKnight (7/05/2020 9:03 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

7/05/2020 9:14 pm  #9

JustJames wrote:

until they list AS&SH as it's own game.

Astonishing Swordmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea is listed under its own search type...

Last edited by BlackKnight (7/06/2020 1:39 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

7/05/2020 9:17 pm  #10

Here is a sample of a Character done out in Roll20. Note under combat I list out all the weapon ranges so I can just make a single click on the character sheet and do the attack roll and damage roll with any bonuses/penalties built in.

Note, the Equipment list is cut off as I only have a 4k screen and couldn't screencap the whole sheet. (yes there are some errors on the sheet, but I just rolled her up before taking the shot)

Last edited by BlackKnight (7/05/2020 9:43 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage

7/06/2020 9:48 am  #11

For what it's worth I wrote a post about a way to import character info into roll20.

https://opensourcegamer.com/blog/blog/2020/04/14/roll20-character-sheet-import/

I should probably write up something if you have a paid account and access to the API.

What? Me worry?

7/06/2020 1:36 pm  #12

gizmomathboy wrote:

For what it's worth I wrote a post about a way to import character info into roll20.

https://opensourcegamer.com/blog/blog/2020/04/14/roll20-character-sheet-import/

I should probably write up something if you have a paid account and access to the API.

Actually, As I'm not a Paid, I still use your Character builder, but then just manually import as I don't have the API access. Which BTW, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! for you Character builder. Makes creating characters SO easy. I also told the GM's for the games I'm in, and they have everyone create the characters the same way (at least 6 games a week between the two GM's). they set what they will allow as the character rolls, and then we share the screen with the DM and can create 3 sets of rolls for a character (basically open the character editor three times and make three characters) taking the best we go the next step and send it to the PDF. then manually copy it in. Works well and everyone loves the simplicity of the tools. Great Work Gizmo! from the Many that use your stuff...

Last edited by BlackKnight (7/06/2020 1:38 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage

7/06/2020 3:04 pm  #13

You are welcome.

I'm hoping to add yet another feature of the page to spit out the file that will let you import most of the created character data.

As noted in the post, some of the repeated items don't get imported. However, saving even half the manual effort would be useful I think.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.