!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2020 7:41 pm  #41

Re: Modiphius Conan & AS&SH

Yeah; I hate those things.  While you can certainly whip up something fast, it's pretty much useless when it comes to learning how the game works or how things are supposed to fit together.  I've made up my own random charts for caste, archetype, etc., that I'll just port over to AS&SH.  But having messed around a lot with various systems the past two years I can say that for sheer simplicity and speed of character creation, it's either OSE or Swords & Wizardry.  Probably OSE because of the B/X familiarity factor.  You can easily roll up a PC in under 10 minutes.  The same for advancement.  There aren't too many abilities and the info for the class can be found on just 1-2 pages.  In a game like Conan or L5R it can take forever just to find the next skill or talent.  Not sure why bad organization and confusing writing has seemingly become a design hallmark these days.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/21/2020 3:29 am  #42

Also it no fun if your just sitting around a table quickly creating a character, where is the fun if you cannot roll a die?

Got your E-mail Leng cheers, just giving  it a quick read and it feels fine to me...

A nice blending, has that Conan feel.

6/21/2020 9:53 am  #43

Here is another Hackmaster 4e class for Conan, the bounty hunter.

Bounty Hunter
Attacks & saves as fighter
Minimum ability scores: Str: 11; Dex: 11; Con: 11; Int: 12; Wis: 10
Alignment: Any
Hit Dice: d8
Armor & weapons: Any, but see below
Basic skills: Glean information, Intimidation, Rope Use, Tracking, Stealthy Movement
At least half weapon selections must be blunt or incapacitating
Incurs no penalties in fighting to incapacitate or subdue rather than kill
Gains AC bonus when wearing non-bulky armor:
-1 AC bonus per 3 levels up to a -7 bonus at 19th level & up
Extra Running Speed (up to 5 times at level 20)
Can knock out foes as an assassin kills them
Find traps, move silently, and hide in shadows as thief
[In the HM version they can cast a few spells too, but I probably won't include that]

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/21/2020 7:07 pm  #44

Also, just converted my first adventure over.  I did "Vultures of Shem" from the core rulebook.  Took about half an hour to convert stats over to AS&SH.  So yeah, it's not a difficult process.

6/21/2020 11:11 pm  #45

Pit of Kutallu was equally easy as the main foes are deep ones and deep one hybrids.  So if anyone wants to use the Modiphius Conan material for your AS&SH game I can vouch that conversions are pretty easy.  And I'll share my working notes to any who are interested.

6/22/2020 3:36 am  #46

Any change of E-mailing me that Leng?

6/22/2020 8:37 am  #47

The problem is that I'm just writing it longhand in my campaign notebook.  They're short enough that I could possibly scan them, assuming you could make out my handwriting.  Essentially I'm just jotting down the AS&SH stat blocks for the monsters and NPCs in these adventures, sometimes with a couple notes on tactics if they'd differ from what's presented in the originals.  These early ones were easy because the scenarios are really short. 

Actually, most of the published adventures aren't too long and they are all designed for pretty small parties so I don't think any conversions will be too difficult.  As a general rule I'm making minions 1 HD, toughened foes 2-3 HD and leader types around 5 HD for the low level scenarios.  That will scale once I start doing higher level conversions.

6/23/2020 3:36 am  #48

Ah, noa problemo, just thought to ask, now I know.

I have converted some scenarios of 2d20 to Conan d20 myself, but Conan d20 a bit more time consuming than AS&SH.

That A good idea, I converted by Attributes, as Conan d20 can raise these stats quite high I perceive a Conversion with a Character with a Wis 22 must mean he at least 12th level etc.

Got to go, Shopping.

6/23/2020 8:14 am  #49

I don't worry too much about attributes/ability scores.  I'm more worried about scaling the levels over to AS&SH. 

6/24/2020 2:49 am  #50

Best not to, their conversion note are not very good, one attribute is near 22 and another will be 7 for basically an average score in 2d20 which should be about 9 to 12, too many numbers and they cannot format it properly for 3.5 rules. Still I guess in there format they were not expecting people to convert from 2d20 to 1d20, they were expecting it the other way, which could work.

Still I enjoy what you have done, so will consider same format for Conan d20 when changing scenarios.

6/27/2020 5:00 pm  #51

I've done another adventure from the Jeweled Thrones of the Earth collection, "Devils Under Green Stars."  Not too difficult, though the fact that it's not a level based system can make adapting nemesis foes a bit tricky.  I made that one a mid-level scenario.  One easy thing is that some of the foes were described as scouts, berserkers, etc. so you just find the AS&SH class and figure out their level.  Piranha swarm?  Have that in Swords & Wizardry.  Giant crocodiles?  We're covered.  Still waiting for the latest books to come out in pr, but I'll have more than enough converted over whenever we get to actually playing.

6/28/2020 2:59 am  #52

Seems good, waiting patiently for your first game-play experience, so I can read it in the Campaign forum.

Cannot think of the right word to explain how much I enjoy a good Conan Saga, story, adventure, thang!

7/07/2020 11:50 pm  #53

As part of my conversions of Modiphius Conan stuff I've been re-reading The Book of Skelos supplement lately and I must say it's got lots of great material on running sorcerers and cabals that should be of use for anyone running and Sword & Sorcery game.  They have pretty cool rules for generating a cabal/cult so tonight I decided to see what I could come up with and the results were great, considering most of this was generated by random rolls on a few tables.  So here you are:

The Order of the Crimson Lotus is a cabal/cult based in Ayodhya, capital city of Vendhya.  It is made up primarily of worshipers of the goddess Yajur (their analogue for Kali), though many adherents are most interested in sorcerous power than religious beliefs.  The group was founded in ancient times by a humble scholar who believed he had discovered a sutra that could help the outcasts of society escape the cycles of rebirth and attain oneness with the great void.  Initially the group was quite popular but soon its doctrines of human sacrifice by strangulation became known and it was forced underground, though not until after its adherents managed to topple one of the kings of Vendhya. 

In subsequent centuries the Order spread throughout Vendhya and beyond, drawing followers from the lower orders, students, scholars, and prostitutes, who are considered sacred followers of Yajur.  Many of their rituals involve carnal acts before sacrifice.  In exchange for their sacrifices, Yajur provides sorcerous knowledge via demonic servants.  The cult normally meets in secret underground locations, most often accessed through brothels.  The order has also amassed fortunes across Hyboria through the drug trade, mostly lotus derivatives.  Since there is no formal hierarchy as its adherents claim to get their wisdom from scared signs and portents, it has proven difficult to eradicate the cult.  Moreover, the group controls the magistrate of the infirmary district in Ayodhya, who looks the other way when patients disappear, used in hideous rites.

More than a few over curious students and dissolute noble youths from all over Hyboria have disappeared in recent years. {This may be a hook I use to involve the PCs}.  Recently some members of the cabal have learned of the existence of a Mandala of Yajur, which they believe may hold still further secrets of sorcery and the nature of the universe.  But they don't know where this may be found, though sources suggest the Scrolls of Kai'Zhang, linked to a missing scholar in Khitai, might hold the clue.  Members of the cabal are marked by a small tattoo of a crimson lotus.

So most of this came out of a few random rolls.  I added my own details, some of which were inspired by the Dam Simmons novel, Song of Kali.  For those of you keen on adding flavor to your cabals and such, this book is pretty good.  As we discussed last year, they definitely imbue lots of HPL into the setting, but that's obviously not an issue if you're using Hyperborea as opposed to Hyboria and I don't care too much as this will simply give me more human foes to intersperse throughout our campaign.

7/10/2020 8:04 pm  #54

Hmmm, quite inspiring from a flavor standpoint...can't say I ever cared for the d20 Conan rules, but this kind of non-mechanical stuff is interesting.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

7/10/2020 10:48 pm  #55

Yeah, the 2d20 rules are not only clunky, but not particularly well presented.  And then they try to shoehorn all these other things into this framework in all the supplements.  I guess Modiphius uses the same general engine for all their games, presumably to make it easier for people to play multiple ones?  Just can't get into it.  But the feel and lore are very good and they do have some cool adventure generators and stuff like this, that can be ported into any system.

And the fact that they crib tons of stuff from Lovecraft, despite their lofty claims of Howardian purity, has made converting to AS&SH fairly easy.  We already have stats for deep ones, the race of Yith, elder things, etc., all of which are in the Modiphius Conan game.

7/11/2020 2:57 am  #56

Spider of Leng wrote:

Yeah, the 2d20 rules are not only clunky, but not particularly well presented.  And then they try to shoehorn all these other things into this framework in all the supplements.  I guess Modiphius uses the same general engine for all their games, presumably to make it easier for people to play multiple ones?  Just can't get into it.  But the feel and lore are very good and they do have some cool adventure generators and stuff like this, that can be ported into any system.

And the fact that they crib tons of stuff from Lovecraft, despite their lofty claims of Howardian purity, has made converting to AS&SH fairly easy.  We already have stats for deep ones, the race of Yith, elder things, etc., all of which are in the Modiphius Conan game.

Completely agree, exactly how I feel...

I do also enjoy their adventure generator, it is done well.

Perhaps I just a 3d6 kind of person, but just cannot adapt to their rules. Plus I put so much time into d20 Conan, that I feel like the last rat on a sinking ship, but I just refuse to go... Perhaps you need to have a 2d20 game as the first game you buy and not be confused by too many rule systems.

Too much Lovecraft, exactly, seems a questionable debate; after saying it pure Conan canon.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.