!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2020 7:02 pm  #1

Modiphius Conan & AS&SH

I know we've touched upon this before, but I've finally decided to just do an AS&SH version of Hyboria, drawing upon the Modiphius supplements for storylines, background info and the like.  I bought pretty much all of the Conan line last year, but really didn't like the 2d20 system, though there are elements like Doom and Momentum, that I may try to port over, along with fate points.  Some AS&SH classes will slot right in, of course.  And my semi-regular playing group has no interest in learning a new, crunchy system.  So this seems to be the best solution and at least I can use all those Conan books.

But, as some of you probably know, the Conan game has dozens of archetypes, rather than standard character classes and is a skill and talent tree system, rather than level based.  I still think I can convert things easily enough by finding existing classes as a base and extrapolating, providing class abilities in lieu of the archetype skills, etc.  And magic will have to be altered quite a bit.  But I still think the engine of AS&SH will work well for a Hyborian game.

So I'm wondering if anyone else here has attempted this yet and if they'd be willing to share their insights/experiences?

Last edited by Spider of Leng (6/06/2020 7:04 pm)

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/07/2020 2:02 am  #2

Re: Modiphius Conan & AS&SH

This might seem old history, but have you downloaded Jason Vey's Hyborian Age?

https://grey-elf.com/hyborian-age.pdf

And his supplement?

https://grey-elf.com/acheron.pdf

I not a great fan of 2d20, though at present I have most of the 2d20 Conan pdfs, due to doing the kickstarter, but there is some interesting stuff, but I think its too much Lovecraft than Howard, instead of too much Howard and some Lovecraft.

To me AS&SH would do fine without any changes, you just need the maps and cultures and you are sorted. Still if your keeping it low magic and no Cleric? Then FP are the best and some kind of good healing skills...

Vincent N. Darlage's map for Thulsa, you probably have, but if your interested I have been making a few more; joining some of his maps together...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nialldubh/albums/72157713608434398

and

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nialldubh/albums/72157624950718933

6/07/2020 7:47 am  #3

Jason Vey's work is good for inspiration, and I've done similar research: my few thoughts along this line, since I run in more of Thurian than Hyborian age Earth.
1. First principle is to use the AS&SH RAW above all, keeping the rules changes to a minimum.
2. After that, subtraction of things is prioritized over adding things, e.g., no Paladins, healing sorcery or healing potions.
3. Instead, Heroic Healing: characters recover one HD/level rather than just one HD each day of rest or ministrations from a Cleric or Shaman.
4. No Fate points or anything like it: HP and Saving Throws already cover such circumstances, IMHO.
5. Replace the "Secondary Skills" from AS&SH with Backgrounds, e.g. Bossonian "Archer" would replace the AS&SH standard Secondary Skill roll. The Non-Standard Task Resolution system (X-in-6 chance) is used to adjudicate things that skills and archetypes "bonuses" would accomplish. I think recording some "key words" from the Modiphius or Grey Elf works would help in adjudicating such rolls: Hyrkanians should know how to ride, shoot a bow from horseback, navigate steppes, etc.
I really haven't done an exhaustive list of things to ditch/replace, but that's my start...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

6/07/2020 8:26 am  #4

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Yes, I have the Jason Vey stuff, but I'd prefer to use AS&SH, though he has some useful tips.  I do think certain backgrounds will come with automatic secondary skills or minor bonuses, like Hyrkanians automatically getting an archery bonus.  I'm personally a fan of roll under ability score checks so that's one way I would incorporate many of the "skills" attached to Conan archetypes.  Definitely going to do some modification of the healing rules and all first level PCs will get my standard 20 HP "kicker" at first level. 

I kind of like Modiphius' doom and momentum ideas, but those are already rather fuzzy in practice and implementation might be tough.  One solution might be to give nemesis foes "lair actions" like they do in 5e.  Complications can be worked into poor die rolls like natural 1's or rolls 4 or more below that needed.  But that may just be over complicating matters, so to speak.

Still kicking things around and seeing as Modiphius currently has 4 books in pdf form that will hopefully soon be in print, this will likely be an extended process as I see what they come out with.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/07/2020 9:23 pm  #5

Also, Hackmaster 4e, which is basically a mashup of 1st & 2nd edition AD&D, has a bunch of Conan-appropriate classes like pirate, minstrel, brigand, gladiator, and soldier.  So adding these to those in AS&SH gives a huge variety.  And many of the Modiphius classes could simply be renamed.  A borderer is just a ranger, scout, or huntsman depending upon the culture.  A Hyrkanian nomad could be a fighter or barbarian.  So I don't think it will be that daunting, except for the magic side since the systems are pretty different.  Even then I've got some ideas to work that out.

6/08/2020 5:30 am  #6

I look forward to seeing more about it here. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

6/08/2020 1:43 pm  #7

* The extra 20 hp is probably a good idea, but perhaps to generate a more weak is weak and health is healthy, the extra hp as based on Con, so a character with a Con 12 gets an extra 12 hp and one with a Con 18, get an extra 18 hp, and the weak; coughing up blood thief with Con 7, get an extra 7 hp. This is still good hit point boosts, but just an idea.

I had thought of an idea which generate hit points and luck points; this represents a dwindling of a hero's aura, their fate, karma slowly being hacked away by the hostile forces of life . LP were generated from the Wisdom score and was like an invisible buffer from damage. A player could choose to subtract the damage gain either between the both (50/50) or either by picking HP or LP. Note: only DR can protect against hp damage and LP takes longer to regenerate, perhaps 1 LP per day or week depending on GM perception of moment (the Wisdom bonus should raise the amount of LP restore, but obviously not lower it below 1).

* I do use FP  (as I still use the d20 Conan rules) as most gamers will 90% have a healer in group (though I do enjoy an adventure group with no healer, gives a certain S&S about the enterprise, but it does not last for long). A FP boost that grants an extra 5 hp to a wounded character (much like a 4.0 rule) might be a good idea...

FP could be generated at beginning of game by the total modifiers a character gets, but this might be time consuming and just give it from his favoured attribute, so a fighter with a Str 17, would get (for example) a base 3 +2 to for Strength (only using damage modifier) for 5 FP.

I also think the sorcerer class (this does not include shamans, just typical magicians) should be more difficult to achieve, my idea was attributes like this: Dex 6, Int 13, Wis 9, Cha 9; as a S&S world is a place where magic is rare, it should be difficult to gain.

Unconsciousness does not occur till -4 hp (plus Con hit point modifier), though wounded character suffers negatives, he still conscious and able to act, the negative is -1 for each negative hp. I feel that many character just drop at -1 hp is not just, dramatic things can happen and a heroic death is better than a non-heroic death?

Well that it, hope it helps...?

6/08/2020 3:33 pm  #8

TSR's Conan modules (with Arnold on the cover) had Luck points.  I may just use those and simply have every PC roll d4+1 at character creation.  Then certain extraordinary achievements might earn you a luck point down the road, but they don't naturally replenish.  You can use them to save yourself from certain death, etc.

As for death and unconsciousness, our house rule is that you are unconscious at 0 HP, but have until your level to get above 0 to survive, making a death save every minute.  So if you're 10th level, you have 10 minutes, but you'll need to keep making those saves. 

Still kicking around spellcaster ideas.  Limiting spell lists is one way to go, taking out the super powerful, flashy stuff.  Matt Finch's concept of making everything above 5th level essentially a ritual certainly fits the S&S vibe.  But obviously, you must have necromancers in there.  Witches make sense, as does some form of alchemist.  A runegraver could work, as well as shamans. 

In any case, I'm pretty psyched because I like the Modiphius vibe and many of their base ideas for adventures, carousing, etc., but just find the system too finicky, whereas AS&SH, which we've already tweaked to our liking, will be much smoother for us to play, grognards that we are.

Last edited by Spider of Leng (6/08/2020 3:48 pm)

6/08/2020 7:15 pm  #9

Personally I think you could just use the classes, spells, etc. as written in a Hyborian Age campaign. I don't think Conan's view of that age was necessarily meant to encompass everything that existed.

However, if you wanted to limit the game more along the lines of what Conan actually encountered, you might consider limit spellcasting classes to illusionists, witches, priests, and shamans. That would tend to deliver the "stereotypical S&S experience" that some people seem to demand from a Hyborian Age campaign, even if I personally think it's poorly supported by the literature.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/09/2020 2:44 am  #10

Seems like your working it and got the basics? It just to balance the heroic adventure theme and having no healers and as you say, no major spells, like fireball, but still having your heart rip out you at 30 paces seem very major and Xaltotum plague on a Nemedia city can seem quite drastic...

I agree, no spell casting thieves, but thought you might have done that? But what do I know... There was that time (and by Mongoose's interpretation called it Dabbler) that Conan used a counterspell versus an animal summoning spell and left the 'mark of Jhebbal Sag,' on the path to block its way. That might need some thought? Also Amalric forcing a god into humanform using a spell taught to him by a shaman, so he could kill it. Not bad for just a trained Fighter?

Oh, yeah, death occurs a -10 hp plus Con score, so a fellow with Con 11 dies at -21 hp. He still unconscious based on idea above were he can remain conscious while in the minuses for a short time.

Good Luck

6/09/2020 9:54 am  #11

I like that Con score idea for death so maybe I'll merge mine with that and do it negative con score plus level in minutes below zero so if you're 4th level with a 15 CON, you have 19 minutes to get to zero. 
As for the spellcasters, there will be some.  Looking back through the AS&SH spell lists, the Witch and Illusionist seem pretty good.  I like the Necromancer ones in general and Druid spells aren't quite as powerful on the whole as clerics.  I may just outlaw a few spells or say screw it and allow all but the magician, cryomancer, and pyromancer, though any might be available as NPC villains.  And yeah, probably not doing the legerdemainist, etc., as PCs, but they could be cool as nemesis NPCs. 

After all, I'm not really looking to slavishly reproduce the stories, just get that S&S vibe in Hyboria and use my Modiphius books.  So I'm liking all the suggestions, everyone.

6/10/2020 3:52 am  #12

Good stuff...

Hmm, magic is said to be a low magic essences in the Hyborian Age, but I enjoyed the way Howard had written in his Zamboula story about the Stygian (sorcerer/apprentice) very casually studying his tome of ancient mysteries (or to me his spellbook) while sitting in a tavern. So sometimes his stories gave to me a thought of low to mid magic, that near non-existent.

That the best way, one time, many decades ago I used Runequest to duplicate a few Conan-like characters and it did not matter much to me that they used Battle Magic: Healing 2, or Bladeshape 1, these number can just represent a boost in power as a fit of rage and mental endurance, etc. Just got to make the world your own, that my plan...

6/10/2020 10:10 am  #13

For us, the most important thing is just using a system we grasp.  So there will be some tweaks to make it more "Hyborian," but I certainly don't want to re-invent everything and change too many base AS&SH rules since that would defeat the underlying purpose.

One thing I've noticed in the past few years is that I just don't find it as easy to learn new systems and mechanics.  And it seems that many new games add tons of mechanics just to be different, rather than speed up play.  I don't want to have to look up a bunch of weapon qualities, exceptions, hit locations, etc.  There are a few cool things in the Modiphius game, like volley fire, but their books are not clearly written, that's for sure. 

Legend of the Five Rings is even worse.  I've always wanted to try the new edition out, but couldn't find local players.  So I've found a PBP game, but it took 90 minutes plus just to roll up my character!  And I'm still not sure I did it all correctly...With AS&SH I have no such concerns and it plays very fast at the table.

6/10/2020 4:39 pm  #14

Spider of Leng wrote:

For us, the most important thing is just using a system we grasp.  So there will be some tweaks to make it more "Hyborian," but I certainly don't want to re-invent everything and change too many base AS&SH rules since that would defeat the underlying purpose.

One thing I've noticed in the past few years is that I just don't find it as easy to learn new systems and mechanics.  And it seems that many new games add tons of mechanics just to be different, rather than speed up play...With AS&SH I have no such concerns and it plays very fast at the table.

Same here: I used to be the Emperor of New Systems, even mashing up (Harnmaster combat with DragonQuest magic being our favorite frankensystem). Now I'm down to olden-D&D (AS&SH) and Classic Traveller, either of which I could run with zero prep, and which can be repurposed for whatever genre I care to run.

6/10/2020 10:48 pm  #15

Well, after reading all your posts and pouring back through the AS&SH rulebook, here are a few of my preliminary decisions.

For the spell-casting classes I'm going to allow shamans, runegravers, necromancers (usually as villains), illusionists, witches, and druids (for certain cultures like Picts).  Other spellcasting classes may appear as villains/foes, most notably priests and warlocks.  Paladins are also going to be jettisoned since Cataphracts will fit the knightly bill. 

For death, PCs will be unconscious at 0 hp, but have a number of minutes equal to their level, plus constitution score to be brought back to 1, but must make a death save each minute to stay alive.  They could also spend a luck point.  Each PC will get 2-5 luck points (or fortune points) at character creation.  These can be spent to prevent death or ensure some amazing result like shooting an arrow across a chasm and hitting the guard in the throat.  But they do not replenish short of some amazing feat and grant by the fickle gods of Hyboria.  But to compensate for limited magical healing, PCs can recover half their constitution score in HP per day if active or their entire CON score if resting.  But this means a day, not taking a nap.  At max you're talking 18 HP in a day, which isn't crazy given the damage they'll likely take, especially with criticals in play.

I will probably come up with minor cultural perks for the different ethnic groups, like bonuses with certain weapons, but not sure yet.  That could complicate things too much.  Maybe I'll keep standard AS&SH rules. As far as the many Conan archetypes, I think most will map easily enough to AS&SH or Hackmaster classes.  So they could simply be titles.  Conan's Relic Hunter is really just a thief with a cooler name.  Their Bloody Right Hand archetype is obviously an assassin.  So you get the flavor without the fuss.

Initially, I will experiment with a modified form of Modiphius' Momentum & Doom pools/mechanics.  If it gets too clunky, we'll junk it, but I think it has interesting narrative potential if done right.

Thanks for the suggestions & keep them coming....

Last edited by Spider of Leng (6/10/2020 10:51 pm)

6/11/2020 9:00 am  #16

Thanks for sharing: I'm curious to see how these play out with your group.

6/12/2020 3:38 am  #17

Ditto with the too many game systems to remember, must be old age...

Had brain exhaustion; missed a day...; working at more maps of Thuria...

Looks like your getting structured...

* I personally enjoy Cultural changes, helps diverse each character more, but like if you gave a Cimmerian +1 Str, do you create a negative, I personally would use -1 Cha, than -1 Int, Cimmerians are not know to good manners, if you know what I mean.

As you state, keep it simple, though I used d20 mongoose and you really get used to it and 75% of the time you know what a culture has as an ability and not need to reread the rules.

But you could keep it at one ability change:

I know you want Hyrkanians with +1 to hit with bows, and class will provide horsemanship if they are nomadic horsemen, if using catapharact, but they seem to knightly and barbarian is not easy to get. I create a Character Class, Horselord that fits Hyrkanians better... https://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=11739#p11739 

There is also Savage Class for Picts and Black Kingdoms tribes. https://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=11569#p11569

Examples:

Cimmerians +1 Str, -1 Cha. (or ignore negatives and just give +1 Str).

Northmen (Æsir, Vanir, Hyperboreans): +1 Con, -1 Wis (etc.).

Stygians, Khitans: +1 CA.

But, you know this, so be good to know your ideas as it interesting.

I feel d20 Conan is a lot of mental work, but have no choice, to convert is too much to think about, but enjoy ASS&SH limit on Levels and low magic feel (at least lower), though I prefer the spells from d20 Mongoose stuff. But my mentality is: most powerful adventures are 6th level, pushing 8th, dramatic character: 10th to extreme 12th and beyound, the very rare heroic characters, like Conan, but this should be very rare, Thoth-Amon (19th, though I have him written as 20th) and Xaltotun (20th) but other power sorcerers between 13th and 18th, etc; still that just me complaining, dedicated to D20 Conan.

Vering, so looking good, nearing the goal, it would seem...

Last edited by Caveman (6/12/2020 3:39 am)

6/12/2020 9:04 am  #18

Thanks!  Some good ideas here for the cultural adjustments.  For most of the savage groups we'll probably use barbarian variants, but I will certainly check these out.  The 1e Oriental Adventures, for example, has a model for Mongol-style barbarians that will map seamlessly onto Hyrkanians.  And I don't mind using non-weapon proficiencies/general skills to add flavor. 

Incidentally, I added the following classes from 4e Hackmaster:
Conjurer
Enchanter
Bounty Hunter
Gladiator
Pirate
Soldier
Swashbuckler
Acrobat
Brigand
Infiltrator
Charlatan
Minstrel

That gives a whopping total of 32 classes so far.  I may still add a couple Eastern flavored ones for Khitai & Vendhya.  As I noted earlier, the various Conan archetypes should all map to at least one of these, with a couple exceptions like courtiers, but even those could probably be charlatans, minstrels or something like that.  Players can obviously choose their own, but I'm going to create random tables as well, just for fun.

6/13/2020 3:11 am  #19

Good at least you got a substitute, did not think Cataphract or Barbarian could suit Hyrkanians...

It just the attribute requirement that are quite high for Barbarian, most NPC are like 3d6 ers and to create you will be using an array for attributes?

Yeah, I when to the extreme for my Conan world for Character Classes, think it about 48 classes, but half of them much like 3.5 are NPC Classes, but just trying to create a life-style structure, so one of the classes is Beggar (much like Stormbringer games) and obviously rising through the ranks to the Noble Class.

Good list, looks fun, be good to see the end result to your work...

6/13/2020 6:44 am  #20

Spider of Leng wrote:

Incidentally, I added the following classes from 4e Hackmaster:
Conjurer
Enchanter
Bounty Hunter
Gladiator
Pirate
Soldier
Swashbuckler
Acrobat
Brigand
Infiltrator
Charlatan
Minstrel

I'm not familiar with Hackmaster (aside from the name): what would one of these classes look like in AS&SH terms (e.g., FA, CA, TA, HD, class abilities, etc.)?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.