!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2020 8:45 pm  #2901

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

{Sadly, this is not the aforementioned fire trick. This appears more as loads of leaves and needles from outside washed down the slanted floor into a heap.]

Kondor moves the needles aside with his sword and discovers the long branch is wedged into a 2 foot long crack in the rock floor. The cavity below glows warm orange and heat pours through the jagged slit.

Like... lava sort of heat? Looking through the jagged slit, to see the source of the light.
I'm guessing lava, due to the sulphur smell earlier. 

Kondor tries to get a better look through the slit, but the branch wedged in there blocks his view.

5/30/2020 11:19 am  #2902

Is the branch hot t the touch?  Kondor checks *carefully*. Maybe it's lodged in there to hold the crack open? If it won't slam the crack closed, he's going to try to move or even lever it open to get a look.
"This is interesting. Maybe the mountain has a heart of fire. The beast men will come back here for warmth and to sleep. Not much in the way of weapons or gear, though. Maybe in the other cave. If this is the only room here, we might want to check the other entrance. Was that Igrest's backpack? Might have Emral's journal in there."

5/30/2020 12:46 pm  #2903

Gratefully gulping fresher air in the entryway, Gundrabu says, “You seem quite attached to this Emral. This journal you speak of: did this friend keep a journal of parchment rolls? I saw the sign of Helios inscribed on many a page.”

Last edited by Eirvit (5/30/2020 12:47 pm)

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

5/30/2020 12:50 pm  #2904

The branch is warmed by the heat, but not hot to the touch. The branch is lodged in the opening fairly well. If Kondor wants to dislodge it, make an Extraordinary Feat of STR roll.

5/30/2020 4:18 pm  #2905

rolled d100: it's an 81 on d100, so iirc that's a no?

5/30/2020 5:18 pm  #2906

Kondor struggles with the branch but it doesn't yield.

6/02/2020 5:18 pm  #2907

Kondor shakes his head.  "It's too tightly stuck. I could likely get it if we had time, but I won't risk the ambush."

He joins Gundrabu.  "Emral was a friend, but it is a matter of honor. His journal should be laid to rest with his body or else burned, so these beast men and whatever rules their flying ship do not claim its secrets. The same with Igrest's tome. He spoke of Helios, did he not? I leave it to you. All this sorcery is not to my liking."

ooc: sorry, busy with procrastination.  I've got a game tomorrow night, if either of you are available for Roll20 at 7pm EST?

6/02/2020 5:25 pm  #2908

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc: sorry, busy with procrastination.  I've got a game tomorrow night, if either of you are available for Roll20 at 7pm EST?

Oof, I'm wall to wall North Texas games all week! Rain check!

6/03/2020 9:21 am  #2909

Ooc: Unfortunately my local D&D (I run Swords & Wizardry but we’re likely crunching up a little to Castles & Crusades) made the pandemic move to online Wednesdays. I also play Conan 2d20 on Sundays, and I don’t think I should (in good conscience for my family) do much more. Sounds like you’re looking for players. Out of curiosity, what are you running?

“Then bring the light nearer, Kondor. The heat in this room exhausts me. But if you retreat with me to cooler climes, together we can examine these documents. You can tell me what you know.”

6/04/2020 11:30 am  #2910

Eirvit wrote:

Ooc: Unfortunately my local D&D (I run Swords & Wizardry but we’re likely crunching up a little to Castles & Crusades) made the pandemic move to online Wednesdays. I also play Conan 2d20 on Sundays, and I don’t think I should (in good conscience for my family) do much more. Sounds like you’re looking for players. Out of curiosity, what are you running?

“Then bring the light nearer, Kondor. The heat in this room exhausts me. But if you retreat with me to cooler climes, together we can examine these documents. You can tell me what you know.”

My own!  Currently I am working on the magic system so it’s not vancian but also not the current form of “cast this right or you’ll get squid arms”.
It seemed like a good idea at the time but it takes up too much space and I don’t know if it’s fun all the time.

6/04/2020 11:31 am  #2911

Kondor moves to shine the light. He keeps an ear out for the sound of beast men returning.

6/04/2020 11:40 am  #2912

Kondor's lantern's flame shines bright upon the unravelled parchments in Gundrabu's hands.  Each has been emblazoned with a blood red stamp of the recognized symbol of Helios.

And beneath , the raised milky clear substance casts shadows which form letters.

Prayers to the god Helios in Common

Cure Deafness, Neutralize Poison, Cure Critical Wounds, Blade Barrier

[1800 XP, let me know any divisions]

6/04/2020 7:29 pm  #2913

[I say we split it evenly! So this is why the Ref was so keen on Gundrabu looking at this.]

“This should be of some use, Kondor. Tell me, do you intend to wait here to ambush those Beastmen you expect to descend from that sky house and enter herein? Or do you wish to scout the other cave opening, since there is no outlet to it from here?”

Secretly Gundrabu is seeking a reason to get back out into the cold air.

He rolls up the scrolls and keeps them near him, within an inner pocket of his fur coat.

6/04/2020 10:18 pm  #2914

Eirvit wrote:

[I say we split it evenly! So this is why the Ref was so keen on Gundrabu looking at this.]

“This should be of some use, Kondor. Tell me, do you intend to wait here to ambush those Beastmen you expect to descend from that sky house and enter herein? Or do you wish to scout the other cave opening, since there is no outlet to it from here?”

Secretly Gundrabu is seeking a reason to get back out into the cold air.

He rolls up the scrolls and keeps them near him, within an inner pocket of his fur coat.

Kondor senses the esquimaux is anxious to go back out, and nods in agreement.

“Aye, we need to check the other cave if we can, in case there is a better place for the ambush. We’ll hide the flame and go to the other cave, keeping an eye out for their return. If they are drowsy upon arrival we’ll have the advantage despite their numbers. The smell of brimstone should mask our scent.  I expect this might be our best chance for survival and to avenge their devouring Igrest!”

6/05/2020 8:07 am  #2915

With 900 xp I’m now up to Level 3, yo!

6/05/2020 8:12 am  #2916

Don;t forget Eirvit's 10% bonus. Let me know your new Hd roll and prayers.

6/05/2020 9:31 am  #2917

HP (1d8) 8 +4 + 5- 17

Spells: 1 Bless Oil and Water, Cure Lt Wds, Omen, Bless, Cold Resistance, Detect Magic, Command

2 Word of Recall, Speak with Animals, Darkness

Last edited by Eirvit (6/05/2020 9:38 am)

6/05/2020 9:56 am  #2918

Eirvit wrote:

HP (1d8) 8 +4 + 5- 17

Spells: 1 Bless Oil and Water, Cure Lt Wds, Omen, Bless, Cold Resistance, Detect Magic, Command

2 Word of Recall, Speak with Animals, Darkness

Word of Recall is a 6th level prayer subplanted by the Kraken, it doesn't count toward your spell limits, but do have a quick look at it before final choices.

6/05/2020 10:40 am  #2919

I see. In that case,

Spells: 1 Bless Oil and Water, Cure Lt Wds, Omen, Bless, Cold Resistance, Detect Magic, Ceremony of Consecration

2 Speak with Animals, Darkness

6 Word of Recall

Last edited by Eirvit (6/05/2020 10:41 am)

6/06/2020 11:08 am  #2920

Totally up to you, just wanted to make sure you had a good look at it.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.