!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2020 7:33 pm  #1

The God Rel

I know the literary origins of deities like Xathoqqua and Yig, and the real-world origins of Apollo and Artemis. Where does Rel come from? I’d like to learn more about him but google doesn’t provide much suggestion. I see the mention of Hermes and Teutates, but I don’t know if there’s another obvious source I’m missing.

I’m also interested in Raven. He seems like a good thief god for Vikings.

Last edited by Revengeancer (5/05/2020 7:37 pm)

5/05/2020 9:34 pm  #2

Re: The God Rel

Not all of them have a specific literature source; Rel is largely invented by me to function as a deity of thieves.

For Raven, look into the myths and legends of the Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest, British Columbia, and SE Alaska. Specifically the legends and myths of the Tlingit and the Haida. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/19/2020 10:05 pm  #3

Re: The God Rel

Look at Odin's crows, and Morgan from Celtic myths. For Rel, think on tricksters...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.