!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2020 3:54 pm  #1

Understanding Rust Monsters

I know that a rust monster can devour your weapons and armor, leaving you defenseless in a dark dungeon, but in what case will they actually harm a man, and how? I’m sure when cornered or attacked they’d surely bite back. But from what I’ve read, they’re pretty harmless.

If a PC is wearing armor, and the rust monster tackles the PC to consume said armor, might its mandibles damage the PC as it does so, until it’s done eating?

And what do they eat when there’s no natural metals and no adventurers roaming in the dungeons? It seems like they stay hungry for a while, and maybe that’s why they’re so likely to rush any source of sustenance.

5/08/2020 4:33 pm  #2

Re: Understanding Rust Monsters

Speaking for myself personally, I would probably rule that rust monsters never directly physically harm PCs (or other living things). There are plenty of other things that bite, so to me it preserves some of the weirdness and unique charm of rust monsters if they are basically pacifists except when it comes to ruining your weapons and armor. If a rust monster were cornered and under attack, I would probably have it just roll up into a defensive ball like an armadillo. Try to guilt the players into calling off the attack!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/08/2020 5:22 pm  #3

Blackadder23 wrote:

Try to guilt the players into calling off the attack!

I had my players tested. They can't actually feel guilt -- or shame! The doctors say it's the opposite of a medical miracle.

5/08/2020 5:33 pm  #4

Handy Haversack wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Try to guilt the players into calling off the attack!

I had my players tested. They can't actually feel guilt -- or shame! The doctors say it's the opposite of a medical miracle.

My folks would beat that critter around the room with the handles of their useless weapons!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/11/2020 10:18 am  #5

I would think, based on the description of a rust monster, that it's more likely that it starts turning the metallic objects to rust via some super oxidizing chemical process and then "ShopVacs" up the resulting dust. The mandibles might just be there as bony outcroppings to protect the mouth. But it any case, it's your game, make the rules what you want...
Bob

PS> For food when there are no Adventures around, there are always Veins of metals to be consumed...

Last edited by BlackKnight (5/11/2020 10:19 am)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.