!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2020 4:26 pm  #2661

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

No, you have only found one way inside the sanctuary, through the front doors which face east, toward the wooded hills and beyond toward Dunwich.
The cemetary is at the rear of the Sanctuary, behind the dirt courtyard, its broken metal gate opening west toward the path that leads to the well and beyond to the Great Shankshill mountains.

4/07/2020 5:13 pm  #2662

“I believe those are simply wilds, Kondor, whence came the beastmen.”

Gundrabu grips his flail. “But I join you, if you want to investigate.”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

4/07/2020 9:20 pm  #2663

Eirvit wrote:

“I believe those are simply wilds, Kondor, whence came the beastmen.”

Gundrabu grips his flail. “But I join you, if you want to investigate.”

"The Beast men... who were followed by Igrest, the pyromancer! Come quickly, Gundrabu! This could be a signal, or the sorcerous fire of the Atlantean mage in battle. When fighting the undead with but two it has always been close. With three we may yet avenge Emral and the innocents of this place. For that, we need the pyromancer!"

Konder leads the way towards the source of the strange light, certain that it is a sign of their recent companion.

ooc: and I hope I'm not wrong on this one. 

4/08/2020 1:54 pm  #2664

Kondor takes a minute and lights his hooded lantern in the doorway??
then trudges off toward the treeline, following the tracks through the deep snow. 

The village's clearing finally gives way to the dense trees, the tracks wending between their mighty trunks.

After several turns, the snow gives way to frozen ground, a thick bed of needles and the path on which they travel becomes clear...

[Kondor roll Con test.]
[Gundrabu roll Con test.]

4/09/2020 7:37 am  #2665

d6- 4

Nope.

4/09/2020 10:36 am  #2666

The barbarian's pace is too great for the esquimeaux.

Gundrabu must sit down and rest. The frozen air is a repeating ice pick into his lungs and his beard and mustaches are solid ice.

4/09/2020 1:14 pm  #2667

“I am sorry, Kondor. This cold exhausts my constitution. I must go back.”

4/09/2020 1:32 pm  #2668

A strong aroma of cooked meat wafts on the air and the faint cracks of burning wood can be heard through the trees.

4/09/2020 5:09 pm  #2669

d6: 4, although I'm not sure what to add to it. Constitution? Otherwise, also fails.

Kondor waits with Gundrabu, feeling the deadly ice as well but saying nothing. The sorcery must be fierce for an esquimaux and a kimmerian to be so slowed by it.

After adjusting for the rest, Kondor readies to move forward again.

4/09/2020 5:22 pm  #2670

fireinthedust wrote:

d6: 4, although I'm not sure what to add to it. Constitution? Otherwise, also fails.

Yes it's Test of Constitution. Kondor's Con is 15, so he has 3:6 chance. 

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor waits with Gundrabu, feeling the deadly ice as well but saying nothing. The sorcery must be fierce for an esquimaux and a kimmerian to be so slowed by it.

After adjusting for the rest, Kondor readies to move forward again.

Sorcery is one thing, these frozen temps of Nightfall are something else entirely.

Gundrabu doubles over, struggling to catch his breath from the forced march through the dark, cold woods. 
Kondor himself pants and shines the lamplight around the trail. The tracks are present both of the beast men, and the lightfooted sorcerer. There is a small patch of needles to kneel in under the trees on the left and slightly deeper on the right, a fairly large fallen log on which to sit.

4/10/2020 12:12 am  #2671

The log is big and heavy and wood, so it’s better than bad: it’s good!

Kondor helps Gundrabu to the log. While they sit and rest, he looks and listens for the source of the smoke.

4/11/2020 9:32 am  #2672

Kondor guesses they pressed at least 30 minutes east  from the church, maybe a quarter mile. These dense trees giving them much more protection from the freezing temperatures of the subzero wind than did those near the Well.  

There is no visible smoke but there is the visible glow of fire and its crackles and snaps echoed through the silent, hollow woods. The light is close, perhaps another 15 minutes away if Gandrabu can recover. 

The savory scent of cooked meat hangs in the air and makes men that have eaten only stiff bread, rawhide, and insipid gruel mouths water...

4/11/2020 12:17 pm  #2673

Iron Ranger wrote:

... if Gandrabu can recover. 

Ref, how do you want to resolve this one?

Gundrabu will hazard whatever damage there is, for the sake of satisfying Kondor’s curiosity, though he expects he’s going to feel the warmth of those flames all too closely as he is soon roasted for a Beastman’s dinner.

4/11/2020 12:52 pm  #2674

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

... if Gandrabu can recover. 

Ref, how do you want to resolve this one?

Gundrabu will hazard whatever damage there is, for the sake of satisfying Kondor’s curiosity, though he expects he’s going to feel the warmth of those flames all too closely as he is soon roasted for a Beastman’s dinner.

Let's have the deathly fatigued Gundrabu roll a d12...

4/11/2020 1:21 pm  #2675

8!

4/11/2020 2:56 pm  #2676

Eirvit wrote:

8!

Sitting atop the fallen log, moments pass while the Barbarian gets his bearings by the even glow of his lamp. Finally, Gundrabu pats the Barbarian on the back as he collects his breath at last. The forced march took its toll and another step would surely have spelled his doom. Stepping down from the huge log, he spies a scrap of rotted leather at the end.

4/11/2020 3:41 pm  #2677

Kondor will investigate the scrap of leather.

I didn't realize it would be the length of a forced march away. How far do we have to go? How does the smoke get this far if it's a forced march for barbarians and esquimaux dog sledders?

4/11/2020 4:40 pm  #2678

fireinthedust wrote:

I didn't realize it would be the length of a forced march away. How far do we have to go? How does the smoke get this far if it's a forced march for barbarians and esquimaux dog sledders?

[OODM:   No problem. To clarify:
The original post said there was fire light in the distant woods.  
Kondor seemed fixated on the tracks and followed and followed.

Next post said several turns later, Gundrapbu became winded, and both failed Con test to continue.  

Next was an Aroma of cooked meat wafting on air, -- not Smoke.  
Kondor has never smelled smoke from the fire, only seen the firelight and smelled the roasting meat.
And no scent of any kind was smelt until now at the stopped spot.

Also, the village clearing and trail through the woods was covered in deep snow making a 10 minute walk take upwards of 30. While it remains extremely cold, these dense trees give some protection from the biting winds, unlike the conditions at the Well.]

Kondor holds the Esquimeaux back and bends to his knee at the end of the large log, it's hollow. And there is what looks like a foot bone sticking out a few inches-- its toe bones resting atop the rotted leather pile.

4/11/2020 4:40 pm  #2679

fireinthedust wrote:

I think the power of the Cold, particularly, is something that we players and our characters are having difficulty contextualizing. The Referee’s Manual specifies temperatures during Nightfall as being between -5 and +35 F along the coasts and -30 and +0 F inland.

In Jack London’s Yukon Tales, for comparison, for those well-prepared for and conditioned to the environment, temperatures don’t get *really* dangerous until around -70 F. So, unless something truly uncanny is afoot, it’s difficult to intelligently “game” this cold.

4/11/2020 4:44 pm  #2680

Crossed posts. I think Gundrabu’s weariness, then, must have more to do with his physical activity.

I *love* your explanation of the activity by Turn breakdown! I humbly request more of that, please. Such descriptions would help me comprehend the action and environment better, and I think I’ll be a much better gamer.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.